BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Any 3rd gen manual magna TE (1996) onwards. Manual Magnas have same connectors as VR4 (plugs have two rows of pins).
Realistically, any manual Mitsubishi of the era will have the same connectors as the ECUs are from the Mitsubishi parts bin. PCBs have slight differences (ie missing components).

Automatic Magna pins *might* work, the connectors are slightly different as they have 3 rows of pins (ECU and TCU are combined into one box). I've got some here so will check and confirm.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Looking at a JE331B154C

Here's the status on some of the unused/not connected pins, some we already know - other confirmed they lead to no-where (missing components)

Pin A6 = unused output
Pin B3 = Potentially able to used as input - need to find in software (multiplexed)
Pin B4 = Potentially able to used as input - need to find in software (multiplexed)
Pin B11 = Able to be used as digital input (multiplexed)
Pin B14 = Able to be used as digital input (multiplexed)
Pin D5 = Additional ADC input 0-5v

Pin A9 = unable to be used, missing Q226
Pin A20 = unable to be used, missing Q48
Pin A24 = unable to be used, missing Q54
Pin B9 = unable to be used, missing IC104
Pin B10 = unable to be used, missing IC104
Pin B12 = unable to be used, missing IC104
Pin C1 = unable to be used, missing Q49
Pin D7 = unable to be used, missing IC102
Pin D3 = unable to be used, missing Q90
Pin D4 = unable to be used, missing IC103

coltspeed

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kade
Drive
Galant VR4
Can someone tell me which # pins to use for a narrow band air/fuel gauge and a digital tach/ shift light? Much thanks...

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
If you're looking for RPM/Tacho signal, then tap into the IFS signal on Connector 3, Pin 8 (white wire)

If you want the narrowband oxygen sensor signal, then Connector 4, Pin 6 (also a white wire)
You'd be better off installing a wideband sensor, then feed the narrowband output into the ECU. Wideband will give you much more information than the narrow.

Many have had luck with the Innovate Motorsports wideband gauges (such as a MTX-L)

coltspeed

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kade
Drive
Galant VR4
If you're looking for RPM/Tacho signal, then tap into the IFS signal on Connector 3, Pin 8 (white wire)

If you want the narrowband oxygen sensor signal, then Connector 4, Pin 6 (also a white wire)
You'd be better off installing a wideband sensor, then feed the narrowband output into the ECU. Wideband will give you much more information than the narrow.

Many have had luck with the Innovate Motorsports wideband gauges (such as a MTX-L)
Much thanks for the info, I will be installing a wideband later on. For now I'm just enjoying the car stock.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Much thanks for the info, I will be installing a wideband later on. For now I'm just enjoying the car stock.
With regards to Widebands, don't install a system using the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor as they are highly unreliable. Make sure you use an LSU 4.2 based setup.

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Reviving this post since it is directly in relation to my problem. I am from Trinidad.
I did a complete conversion of a Legnum GDI to Vr4. The thing is, the installers left the TCL ECU along with the harness bolted on the side of the dash. Because of this, I am getting these errors:

LR Solenoid System Short-circuit / disconnection

UD Solenoid System Short-circuit / disconnection

51 Non TCL Car - Abnormal communication with the engine ECU-- TCL Car - ASC-ECU abnormal communication

With the research I have done, it seems that the TCL ecu is the link between the main ECU and the auto transmission ECU.

The dash is out of the half I have on the ground, but it’s a lot of work to remove the harness to reinstall into my car (the dash, fender and front fuse box etc will need to be removed).

Question. Is there a way to wire the TCL Ecu into the main ecu’s directly under the dash, as opposed to removal of the entire harness?

The transmission is currently on limp mode and stuck on 3 because of this.

Please Help!

8DCB6192-91AD-427C-91A9-68592E1999F2.jpeg
0F6B7672-29CF-4A43-B7B3-0FDFE3069971.jpeg

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Update. I realized that the harness was going to the ABS pump. So I am in the process of removing the dash to get it done. Uhhhh.

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Okay. So I did the harness installation. Car is still stuck in 3rd with neutral blinking. Scanned and picked up code 31 and 32. Code 51 is gone. Any advice?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Where does pin 3 and pin 9 on the third connector of the ecu go?

Pin 9 usually goes to ground, which is fine for vr4 ecu, but pin3 is more important...
This is the comms between ecu and other systems.

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Where does pin 3 and pin 9 on the third connector of the ecu go?

Pin 9 usually goes to ground, which is fine for vr4 ecu, but pin3 is more important...
This is the comms between ecu and other systems.
I haven’t checked. How do I perform that check? Those are a lot of wires to sift through. Is there an end of the wire that you know of, so that I can test for continuity? And are you speaking of the TCU? Or the ECU? They are stacked on top of each other under the dash.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Im talking about ECU.

In diagram attached, bottom is engine ecu, and youll see it connect to TCU.

On ecu, pin 3 = 53, pin 9 = 59

PXL_20220609_130543813~2.jpg

Last edited:

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Okay. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
I am going to check now. But what I am asking is, should I trace the wire wherever it goes into the harness? Or does it go to the TCU for easy checking? Sorry for the questions, but I am trying for weeks to solve this problem. The car is complete now, and it’s stuck on 3rd. It’s frustrating
Im talking about ECU.

In diagram, bottom is engine ecu, and youll see it connect to TCU.

On ecu, pin 3 = 53, pin 9 = 59t I am asking is, should I trace the wire wherever it goes into the harness?

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Im talking about ECU.

In diagram attached, bottom is engine ecu, and youll see it connect to TCU.

On ecu, pin 3 = 53, pin 9 = 59

Okay. The both wires are looking like it’s joined together, onto a thick brown wire, but the brown wire has 3 small wires in it. And I am seeing the same brown wire going to the TCU with the same black and white wire joined again to reconnect. It leaves the ecu at the 3rd jack and presents itself after going into the harness, back into the TCU at jack number 4. (Around the same spot. Pin 3 and 9 on the TCU.

E6CFCA4E-D6CE-41FB-ADA0-76B5F3A351F6.jpeg
25C35097-1346-459C-B203-7E64DC19DCC3.jpeg

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
Wait. It leave the ECU, and goes into a harness going into the engine room at the ABS pump. I don’t know if it routes anywhere else in the engine room, but it goes back into the car and to the TCL unit. How do I check these wires for continuity? I don’t want to cast any voltage into these wires fearing a voltage spike into the control units.

Trinison

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kishon
Drive
A Legnum VR4
So, this is where I am at.
1. Checked the continuity from the TCL ecu, to the TCU and to the ECU. All good and continuity present.
2. Double checked all grounding points from the wiring diagram for the car

The codes are still there, with car stuck on 3rd. 32 and 33.

Can someone tell me the output voltage of the UD solenoid and the 2nd solenoid from the TCU? I will check that as well as the harness going to the Solenoids themselves after.
I wanted to make these checks first before venturing to open the tranny cover to get to the solenoids.

Top Bottom