Electricity dimming and sky turning blue in Melbourne

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Did anyone just see that? It was around 11:52pm, I'm round 20km east of the CBD, the electricity dimmed for around 3 seconds and the sky turned light blue in a flash. It happen twice, about 5-10 seconda apart. What was it?

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Edited first post as I didn't mention it happened twice around 5-10 second apart. I thought transformer but figured that would be more sudden and longer lasting.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I was just told last night at how those big power boxes things can explode, lifting high in the air and flinging off and exploding!

Sounds pretty crazy either way!

Anyone got any idea what it was? :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Definately not a transformer - when a TF Fails it fails in a big way, but most arcing is contained within the tank.
The blue flash would've been conductors arcing together, and given that it lasted 3 or so seconds, it would have been at distribution voltage of 11kV or 22kV

The reason it happened again 5 seconds later is that the feeder/line would have auto-reclosing on it. This means that when there is a fault, the protection de-energises the feeder, waits 5 seconds then tries to re-energise. If the fault is still there (which it is in this instance as second blue flash) it will trip and lockout.

Given you acutally saw the arc, i'm guessing some smartass kid/loser threw some chain over the powerlines, or some other metal object which has tangled up. The force of the short circuit is usually enough to clear any other objects such as tree branches etc, but in this case sounds like something is actually tangled/attached to the overhead lines.

(PS I'm a protection engineer in the electricity transmission industry thus the long explanation ;) )

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Marty McFly dropping by for a visit?

(y)That's awesome Brad!

The more I think about it, the more I realise how correct you are, I mean WHAT ELSE could it have been?

Seriously?

- actually, do you think there are now two Marty's in our current time or was that him coming and going really quickly?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Maybe one of those Russion failed missle test??

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
I didn't see the source of the flash, but the sky lit up. Also there was no sound, no fizzle or pop, nothing.

Top Bottom