Errors after throttle body seals replaced, coolant in throttle body.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Got around to putting in the new shaft seals for the throttle body and it seems I've fractured the lower gasket that seals the water side to the stepper idle and intake.
Ran like a pig and stalled, saw the reservoir dropping rapidly and the rest is misery.
Did everything right away I could, throttle body off, bypass the water inlet and got it going asap.
Took about 10kms for the white smoke to clear but ran fine.
Yesterday and today the TCL lights starts flashing, checked for errors and got the following:

11 Oxygen sensor
13 Intake temp sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
21 Engine coolant sensor
25 Barometric pressure sensor

Tried clearing them the right way but all came back up, check the 2 TCL solenoids for operation and or blockages
all fine there, 2 ABS relays all good. Double checked the vacuum canister fpr any cracks etc.
`
Not sure how far to go with this as once I boost above 80kmh the TCL light comes back on but disappears on next
start up.
Not pulling very well either though idle is rock steady, stepper works right adjusting up n down.

Any advice or help would be great!

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Got around to putting in the new shaft seals for the throttle body and it seems I've fractured the lower gasket that seals the water side to the stepper idle and intake.
Ran like a pig and stalled, saw the reservoir dropping rapidly and the rest is misery.
Did everything right away I could, throttle body off, bypass the water inlet and got it going asap.
Yesterday and today the TCL lights starts flashing, checked for errors and got the following:

11 Oxygen sensor
13 Intake temp sensor
21 Engine coolant sensor

Tried clearing them the right way but all came back up, check the 2 TCL solenoids for operation and or blockages
all fine there, 2 ABS relays all good. Double checked the vacuum canister fpr any cracks etc.
`
Not sure how far to go with this as once I boost above 80kmh the TCL light comes back on but disappears on next
start up.
Not pulling very well either though idle is rock steady, stepper works right adjusting up n down.

Just an edit to this...
Is there a chance the throttle body is now sucking air in from the leaking gasket. The water lines are plugged via a loop hose but
perhaps the outer seal is gone too allowing air in via the stepper idle controller. Have to wait now for the replacement gasket, Victorian postal services and deliveries have truly gone to shit!

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive

11 Oxygen sensor
13 Intake temp sensor
21 Engine coolant sensor

`
start up.

Just an edit to this...
Is there a chance the throttle body is now sucking air in from the leaking gasket. The water lines are plugged via a loop hose but
perhaps the outer seal is gone too allowing air in via the stepper idle controller. Have to wait now for the replacement gasket, Victorian postal services and deliveries have truly gone to shit!

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
In my experience, air leaks cause idle/stalling issues rather than a bunch of errors.

Using my mobile at the moment, will have a re-read and thorough think when i get back to my PC.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
One thing that is in common with most of those sensors except for O2, is they share the same 5v supply form the ECU. (and share same ground too)

Thinking outside the square, check 5v at TPS, etc etc and maybe continuity/resistance to ground at the sensor plugs.
Can get you the pinouts of each sensor if required, let me know.

I cant think why a leak would cause sensor errors like that, especially that many.
If you're suspecting a leak, reset ECU then disconnect the MAF so it'll run in Limp Mode for fuelling, then try starting. If I disconnect my MAF, only get error for the MAF, nothing related to TPS, engine coolant, etc.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
One thing that is in common with most of those sensors except for O2, is they share the same 5v supply form the ECU. (and share same ground too)

Thinking outside the square, check 5v at TPS, etc etc and maybe continuity/resistance to ground at the sensor plugs.
Can get you the pinouts of each sensor if required, let me know.

I cant think why a leak would cause sensor errors like that, especially that many.
If you're suspecting a leak, reset ECU then disconnect the MAF so it'll run in Limp Mode for fuelling, then try starting. If I disconnect my MAF, only get error for the MAF, nothing related to TPS, engine coolant, etc.
Thanks a bunch for the replies.
I was lucky enough to get a new gasket delivered today for the water chamber so got it all out including air box, rear turbo air feed etc. The coolant really hit everywhere once the throttle body came out, connectors mostly and that stuff doesn't wipe off when dry.
For now I've checked all solenoids for operation and their connections.
I'll do a voltage reading on the TPS tomorrow and check the sensor, pedal position I think?
Not easy getting a run atm with stage 4 restrictions and it only happens at freeway speeds on boost.

I'll post back tomorrow with results, much appreciated!

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Don't worry about me, I just reread... Coolant leak, not air leak. Doh. Was suppose to be paying attention in a meeting at work, more entertaining to browse the web.

So did the coolant reach the MAF at all?

Seems weird that many errors...

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Found traces of coolant, in all inlet pipes, boost pipes but all dry.
MAF clean but connector got soaked, didn't use a shop rag while using compressed air and went everywhere.
Everything pulled apart and used contact cleaner.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Got an openport you can log with?

would be interesting to see values for all the usual things like tps, IAT, etc

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Got an openport you can log with?

would be interesting to see values for all the usual things like tps, IAT, etc
I'll actually go do this now, did it the other day and everything was right.
See if the idle position sensor is set right too.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
I'll actually go do this now, did it the other day and everything was right.
See if the idle position sensor is set right too.

What a pain in the shfincta this has been.
No weird values, all readings are right, air temp coolant and O² sensor.
That IPS is a shocker to check!
1.4mm feeler gauge, bananas! Made up my own L shaped feeler to get the bastard in there, twas out, oh and those screws facing the firewall, don't get me started!
CBF'd doing another battery reset, the auto runs like a crackhead for days and the idle is even worse.
According to evoscan the errors are all still there, won't clear so I'll leave it be for a few days as the TCL light is off and the car runs fine.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
And it's back!
TCL light comes on under different boost conditions, happened boosting at low speeds after backing off the accelerator.
Once the car is restarted the error disappears.
Starting to suspect the MAF now as economy has gone downhill, will see what errors evoscan picks up.
Vacuum canister looks perfect, solenoids are clean and working....?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
And it's back!
TCL light comes on under different boost conditions, happened boosting at low speeds after backing off the accelerator.
Starting to suspect the MAF now as economy has gone downhill, will see what errors evoscan picks up.
And it's back!
Losing the plot with this one, new set of errors on hard boost only
Starting to lean towards a bad connection somewhere around the firewall area that may be throwing a common 12v supply line out.

IMG_20200920_075339.jpg

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Can you confirm the errors with the paperclip/cel method?

Evoscan's DTCs are inaccurate in my experience.

For example, we don't have egr, so why egr error?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
I'll definitely do this today. The TCL is the only light tat has ever flashed and that disappears on next start up.

Top Bottom