Establishing what a Legnum is worth

G

Unregistered
I've been lurking on and off on this forum for a while, and am finally in a position to buy a Legnum. Until recently, I stopped looking at classifieds cos I knew I couldn't buy one, no point in keeping on looking.

Got a big surprise to see how much they've dropped in price in a year... which raises a question, how do you know what to pay for a Legnum? Prices are all over the place, and because Redbook doesn't give a value guide for the Legnum, how do you know what prices people actually pay?

I'm looking at stock-standard, automatic cars only, so this is where I've got so far:

My guess, based on what I've seen on the net so far, is $8k for a 100,000km-plus private sale S2, around $10-$12k for a lower km (60-90k km) tidy private sale and $11k-$18k for a dealer price. About $9k-$12k to import your own.

I know it comes down to what a seller is prepared to sell for and what a buyer is prepared to pay, but I just want to get a fair deal and not be ripped off. I'm guessing about $11-$12k for a private sale with about 70-90k km on it in good nick and an Oz service history, incl T-belt change done if required.
Any thoughts?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Phil, do you work at Edward Lee's:LOL:
I think you got the figures close. Depending on what mods as ewll. I know that mods do not keep thier value too well.. If i want to sell mine, 97 leggie (cumstom exhause, after market rotors, recently serviced - at Meek's - air filter, stereo, leather, moonroof, boost controller, 17 wheels, auto:blush: including 10month rego, ALL reciepts) I want about 14k for it just because i have serviced it well and got minor mods. but not going lower than 12k.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
lol @ Jono's call

No disrespect but you say now you are in a position to buy but from your history on here you were looking to buy back in Jan 08? That is a long time looking......Me thinks like Jono

G

Unregistered
Nope, I don't work at Edward Lees but have just called abt the 2 cars they have for $11.9k. Am going to have a look today. Have read the other thread though about how they appear to not be the industry's highest achiever in standards. So I expect to be disappointed by the cars there, but at least it'll give me a benchmark.

I checked used values on drive, and Legnum was in the drop down list... but no values are given.

Fair enough if on an open forum people don't want to speculate on what their cars are worth. I think I can afford a good car, and that's all that matters really.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Well...if you are selling one start at a million and then see what offers come in for it!! ha ha

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Phil I recomend you import one fresh from Japan.

Speak to J-SPEC or IRON CHEF, they will be able to help you out.

Haggiss

Crunching Gears
First Name
Corey Brazendale
Drive
Legnum VR-4 S2
I imported mine. Was originally quoted $13000ish complied in Aus. It ended up costing me over $3000 more due to exchange rates and other hidden costs. I took a gamble to get a good cheap Leggy and it didn't completely work in my favor.

But having said that, I would import another car in a heartbeat (especially with the help of a great broker :)) Just be prepared that it may cost more than the advertised 'estimate'

MasqUAP

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
'98 VFR 800 / '92 Ford Laser Turbo / '10 Kia Cerato S
I'm at the tail end of importing one now, and have found the pricing to be pretty accurate. I have only got the compliance amount left once the car has it's plates and based on the fact that I was told $9700 and it's been $7809.65 so far, with a quoted $2500 to go I think it's pretty close to the ballpark.

The 'hidden costs' people mention are usually rego, stamp duty, full service & tyres (if needed) etc etc which are completely normal for any new car purchase, so they're normally not mentioned, as well as reducing the car to stock which people *do* need to be made aware of.

Ballpark an extra $1k over what's quoted, plus $1k for rego, stamp duty and a good flush of fluids etc and you should walk away with change. The only other point I can make is the more modified it is, the more compliance is likely to cost you as they will have to reduce it to stock. I bought a car that was *completely* stock and so came through pretty accurate.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
My guess, based on what I've seen on the net so far, is $8k for a 100,000km-plus private sale S2, around $10-$12k for a lower km (60-90k km) tidy private sale and $11k-$18k for a dealer price. About $9k-$12k to import your own.

I know it comes down to what a seller is prepared to sell for and what a buyer is prepared to pay, but I just want to get a fair deal and not be ripped off. I'm guessing about $11-$12k for a private sale with about 70-90k km on it in good nick and an Oz service history, incl T-belt change done if required.
Any thoughts?

Hi Phil.

I suspect that $8k for a Series 2 Legnum is an anomaly and usually a sign of a motivated or desperate seller. A few motivated sellers are not likely to set the market price benchmark floor for these cars. For example, Brad recently parted with his Legnum for $5k - an unheard of price for a Legnum of any condition (except perhaps smashed!).

A quick look on Carsales indicates that a more realistic starting price for a Legnum is around $10k and these will usually be a Series 1. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but I am talking about the law of averages.

Good condition cars with low K's and a few tricky options (sunroof, Recaros etc) seem to ask around the $13-$16k mark, especially in manual. Then there are dreamers who ask around the $20k mark!

I think $12k is enough to get you into a decent car, especially if you're going down the importing route with a reputable import broker.

If we are speculating on the value of our own cars, I think mine is worth around the $16k mark if I were to sell today. Before you fall out of your chair, take a look at how many Series 2, blue manual Galants, with Recaros and a sunroof and 50k on the clock are available in the market ;)

G

Unregistered
I suspect that $8k for a Series 2 Legnum is an anomaly and usually a sign of a motivated or desperate seller. A few motivated sellers are not likely to set the market price benchmark floor for these cars. For example, Brad recently parted with his Legnum for $5k - an unheard of price for a Legnum of any condition (except perhaps smashed!).

A quick look on Carsales indicates that a more realistic starting price for a Legnum is around $10k and these will usually be a Series 1. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but I am talking about the law of averages.

Good condition cars with low K's and a few tricky options (sunroof, Recaros etc) seem to ask around the $13-$16k mark, especially in manual. Then there are dreamers who ask around the $20k mark!

I think $12k is enough to get you into a decent car, especially if you're going down the importing route with a reputable import broker.

If we are speculating on the value of our own cars, I think mine is worth around the $16k mark if I were to sell today. Before you fall out of your chair, take a look at how many Series 2, blue manual Galants, with Recaros and a sunroof and 50k on the clock are available in the market ;)

That's the sort of the ball park I'd established. I'm guessing my $11-$12k will find me a stock S2 private sale with less than 100k km, no sexy options and prob not a manual (don't mind auto) and probably white. Hopefully a good car.

Yeah, I get it re: rare colour, immac optioned up cars, but I am happy at this stage to stick with a plain ol' vanilla Legnum. Even though I think they look good anyhow, it's what's under the skin that makes these cars so interesting...

BTW, just saw a 2001 manual, 59k km at a Haberfield yard, asking price $16,990. Pretty good nick except worn steering wheel. If this is representative of the condition these cars arrive in, it gives me hope. I remember looking at older ex-Jap imports a few years ago (HiLux Surfs) and they looked tired under the buffed paint.

G

Unregistered
I was originally going to import one but had the opportunity to pick one up already landed at a reasonable price (completey stock standard :cool:)
never like the idea of making such a large purchase sight unseen plus didn't have the patience to wait:blush:

Just make sure the 100K Major Service is complete & It's got most of everything you want already on it as this will save you $$$$ in the long run

I've got a 97 Series 1 Auto with 113K, full custom exhaust, major service complete + some nice alpine gear in her - to sell now I can get 10K for her (not that I'm selling any more) you'll be very HARD pressed to find a Series 2 for less - only under super phsycotic extreme circumstances would one pop up for under 10K... just look at what else you get for the same dollars - legnums/galants are already well under priced for what they are...

Good luck(y)

coops

Crunching Gears
First Name
Chris Cooper
Drive
Legnum vr4
well my series 1 legnum i bought for $12g bout 6 months ago, i am hard pressed to get $8g for her now, its trigger mauve, auto, completly stock except the wheels and h/u, and i cant even get 8 for her,

people dont know what the cars are so they are reluctant to spend money on them, they are getting a little old for most peoples likings too i spose

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
That's the sort of the ball park I'd established. I'm guessing my $11-$12k will find me a stock S2 private sale with less than 100k km, no sexy options and prob not a manual (don't mind auto) and probably white. Hopefully a good car.

I think that's a realistic budget and will easily get you into an auto, white Legnum in decent condition.

If time is on your side, importing is likely to get you a better car with more options for the same money.

In terms of kilomtres, my preference is to get one with around 50-60K on the clock without the major service done or more than 90k with the major service done. The major service is a very expensive job so I think you're better off buying a car with that already completed or a car that's going to give you a few years enjoyment before you have to open up your wallet.

An OZVR4 member is selling his Series 2 for a very good price - $8.5k with the major service already completed! Assuming the car has no hidden surprises, it looks to be great value:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=31&__sid=1232D60E7C81

Otherwise, there are plenty of other Series 2 that make it under your $12k budget:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...0&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=31&__sid=1232D60E7C81

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
1. $9,990 SII Type S with FMIC, oil cooler and coilovers! that's either a steal or too good to be true...
2. $10,999 That's a SI mate
3. $12,000 SII Type V
4. $12,800 SII Type V

Type V has no flares or AYC.

I'm about to advertise my 99 SII Type S so its been interesting to see what they are going for privately. I'll probably put $12,500 on mine. Pearl white with factory option Ralliart adjustable suspension. I'm goign to update my Patrol. Increased rego made it less attractive to keep 2 6cyl cars...

G

Unregistered
Someone sell me a Legnum!

I've been trawling through this great forum this arvo learning more abt the Legnum. Good stuff. All I need now is the car! I've had limited time to look at cars, and now I've done my back in, so have to put off looking for one for a few days while I recover but have my eye on one in particular being sold by a forum member. Hoping it's a good one. I'm tired of looking at c**p cars (not anyone's here, just used cars generally I've been looking at to buy)

Wanted a Legnum 'fix' on my way to physio so drove via Parramatta Rd where I'd seen some for sale... man it was a bit depressing how tired they looked. They wanted $14k for a S1 auto/leather/s'roof that had a poor repair job on the left rear 1/4 (like the 'blend' was a masking tape line!)

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm sooo tempted to go to the bank now, get out the cash and pay for a parramatta rd clunker special...I won't of course, but if you've ever been in a position to buy a car,cashed up and ready to go, but haven't found the 'right' one, you'll know what I mean...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Good things come to those that wait Phil!

Just be careful if the Parramatta Road bodgies you're looking at are from Edward Lees.

I take it that the because of the timing, importing is out of the question?

G

Unregistered
Yeah, don't want to import because I've bought 2 cars long-distance before and wasn't quite happy with either. Not from Japan, but from interstate. Pics and seller's description rarely is the same as eyeballing a car yourself, and once you've got the bank cheque, landed with your one-way ticket the pressure is on to just buy the thing. I always go local now, unless I happen to be interstate anyway and can tee-up looking at a car.

And geez Dave, I'm workin on it!

G

Unregistered
And also thanks to those who've PM'd with suggestion re poss cars. I'm looking for as near as possible to OFS (Old Fart's Spec) as possible - that is not lowered, no milo tin exhausts etc. I have to act my (old) age now. And no offense intended to those selling standard cars, not suggesting you're an old fart etc etc...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You can always get rid of the parts you don't want and swap them with stock parts :) Probably making some money in the process too!

Top Bottom