Evo Box

G

Unregistered
Well after doing some research i found out that the EVO GT-A runs the same W5A51 auto box as the legnum, and that the bell housing is the same on 4G63 as 6A13TT. Can anyone confirm this at all or know where i could get some more info on this ??

If this is the case ill get hold of some manual linkages, shifter and clutch setup and be done with it

G

Unregistered
answered this for you on CVR4,

basic answer no,

would help if the GT-A was manual to start with

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
So I assume the 6 speeds are "no-go" territory as well otherwise everyone would be doing it?

Has anyone tried it or done the measurements etc?

G

Unregistered
brad has, on the 6 speed the transfer case output has moved?
or so I've been lead to believe
and the main problem is still bell housing design.

also 6 speed boxes are weaker because the gears are narrower to fit in the extra gear.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the 4-6 have the same transfer case as VR-4's, and they are in the same position relative to the gearbox.

The 7-9 have ACD's and the transfer case is in a different place, etc etc.

As Carsten said, lots of people with EVO 8-9 6 speeds have destroyed their 3rd and 4th gears because they aren't very strong.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Bugga that's a shame. I'd LOVE a 6th gear.

Does anyone do tougher gearsets for them? I know we're talking major dosh, I'm just throwing ideas around that's all.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Paul Brad's found some stuff on alternative gear sets, including a slightly longer ratio final drive. Can't remember where it is though, but I'm sure if you search 'final drive' you'll find it. I dare say there'll be stuff on CVR4 about it too if I know Brad ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Heh yeah :)

The stock setup is 3.333, 2.105, 1.407, 1.031, 0.761 with a 4.111 final drive.

First and Second are one big piece on the output shaft, so you have to buy them together so to speak. You can buy 2.785 and 2.982 options for first gear and all 2nd's are 1.950. This gives you the advantage of being able to get to 69.7 or 73.2kmh in 1st compared to 61kmh. (at 7000rpm) You also get to 104.6kmh in 2nd, compared to 96.9kmh.

For third and fourth about half come with the same 1.407 and 1.031 as ours. Some however come with 1.444 and 1.096 gears. TBH there is very little difference with 3rd gear, only 4kmh at 7000rpm so you wouldn't bother. For 4th however the difference is 197.8kmh versus 186.2kmh, so if you just want to do drag racing the shorter 1.096 fourth gear might be handy. However if you're racing on a normal track, reducing 4th gear like that will simply make the rpm drop off going into 5th bigger, with the normal gear ratios if you change at 6500rpm you'll end up at 4802rpm in 5th. With the shorter 4th you'll drop down to 4518rpm which isn't so good.

Now for 5th gear! Lots of evo's came with 0.761 and another popular ratio is 0.825 which is going the wrong way for a nice cruising gear. Rather than being at 2890rpm at 110kmh you will be at 3120rpm. Very handy if you want to race on tracks where you don't go above 210kmh or so (6000rpm in 5th) but for cruising around and normal driving it isn't what you want. The 5th gear you're after is the 0.721 which was only available in GSR and some RS EVO 7's and all 5 speed manual EVO 8's. This gear will give you 2720rpm at 110kmh, and reach 283kmh at 7000rpm compared to the stock 268kmh.

The other option is changing the final drive. Manual Magna's with V6's came with a 3.736 final drive. The code on those is W5M51 so they should fit, but I don't know. All evo's come with 4.529 or shorter which obviously isn't what we want. Team RIP in the USA make a 3.73 final drive which they will sell for US$700. This will fit, I simply haven't got one because I haven't been able to afford it. As soon as I get my DBA 5000 rotors paid for, I will be getting one of those.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Cool, I didn't think there was discussion on the 6 speed box gearsets. :D

Top Bottom