Evo Gearbox

G

Unregistered
Well since they are a similar design to our box, i assume this could cause a problem for us VR4 owners aswell.

Towed my mates EVO 9 MR from Perth to Sydney for the NSW round of Dutton Rally, he was on the start line of Wakefield Park, sat on launch control, off the clutch and BANG, car went but popped out first, got back into gear , into 2nd and then wouldnt go into 3rd. Bought the car into the pits so we could investigate wat had happened, only to find oil pissing out everywhere.

Image002-10.jpg

Image001-7.jpg

As you can see from the pic above its actually split the bellhousing of the gearbox. This was caused by soft R-Comp rubber and axle tramp sending shocl thru the drive train and into the gearbox. It has moved the secondary shaft in the gearbox and cracked the casing, meaning oil everywhere and a dead clutch as its now contaminated with gear oil.
So that was us out of the rally. Plus the bill of getting the car there and also the $4000 for a new gearbox from Mitsubishi

So anyone wanting to do motorsport in the VR4, just beaware that this is something that could very well happen to your gearbox.

Might aswell put a pic of the car up aswell

Car_34_024.jpg

Car_34_004.jpg

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
im not saying that i know anything about race/rally cars, but spending 4k on a gearbox from mitsubishi sounds like a bad idea.
I would rather put that 4k into a custom gearbox from PPG that would last longer than another stock one. Then you also have a choice of getting straight cut gears and dog engagment

G

Unregistered
Yeh brad it is a 6speed, but it happened to 2 5speed boxes there aswell. Even putting a set of after market gears in , the casing is still and issue and will still crack. We had the same problem last year at Dutton with a fully built gearbox in a EVO 6 which was a 5 speed. I dont really think 4k for a new box from mitsuibish is that bad at all.

Yes they are carbon doors, boot and bonnet

G

Unregistered
HAHA you dont want to see his garage then :(

G

Unregistered
^ visions of a certain V35GTR & a very tidy MNPIII 34GTR pop into my head . . . ahhhhhhhhhhh

G

Unregistered
^ visions of a certain V35GTR & a very tidy MNPIII 34GTR pop into my head . . . ahhhhhhhhhhh

you mean the ones on either side of rhys' sig? :p

4k wont get you much in terms of a aftermarket box...

mate of mine just spent $16,000 on a PPG straight cut 5 spd dog box for his stagea.

G

Unregistered
Yeh brad it is a 6speed, but it happened to 2 5speed boxes there aswell. Even putting a set of after market gears in , the casing is still and issue and will still crack. We had the same problem last year at Dutton with a fully built gearbox in a EVO 6 which was a 5 speed. I dont really think 4k for a new box from mitsuibish is that bad at all.

Yes they are carbon doors, boot and bonnet

forgot the carbon roof too. :p

G

Unregistered
ah.. wrong car..

ask steve why not then. :p

Top Bottom