Evo V available to import

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Check it out, evo 5's are almost finally in our price range!

1.jpg

$18800 landed and complied from j-spec

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
:drool:

My favourite EVO.... They just have that look about them that says i was built for WRC, and i will eat your babies if you don't believe me

One day i might invest in one if the boss lets me hehe

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
And the best thing is these will blend in with the standard Lancers popular with uni students which are bodykits-only specials (LOL to those who take the time to paint their rear drum brakes red).

Nice work!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I don't see how anyone could justify spending more on one of those than a VR-4. Not saying that they are bad cars, I really like the EVO 5 and 6, but I can't see how they are worth more.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
These have been available for import since last year. Thank Iron Chef for it :)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
I don't see how anyone could justify spending more on one of those than a VR-4. Not saying that they are bad cars, I really like the EVO 5 and 6, but I can't see how they are worth more.
]
i agree~ higher price probably cam from the "evo~ wow~" factor i guess

G

Unregistered

I'd sell the Galant in a second for one of these.

I would have to agree with Brad, don't get me wrong I am a HUGE fan of the Evo, been desperately wanting one ever since I started getting into the WRC in the mid-nineties, and finding it hard not to sell my car to buy my brothers 300hp Evo VI for $23k.

Sure this particular Evo V is a pretty decent price, but once you consider it's faults (94'000kms with no timing belt change, small scratches on the front and rear bumper, dents on the front right wheel guard, faded brakes, door cloth falling from the interior etc) plus also registration and compliance on top of that, it suddenly doesn't seem that cheap. Decent examples I'd expect to go for $23k+ and as brad said, I couldn't justify to extra premium on top of the VR4 for one.

]
i agree~ higher price probably cam from the "evo~ wow~" factor i guess

True, but the Evo V and VI are lighter, has much sharper steering, better brakes, has greater potential, more aftermarket support etc.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Well it's a personal thing I guess... Don't get me wrong, once I'm finished with mine, with at least 250kw, but probably closer to 300kw powering all 4 wheels, it should be an absolute weapon, but on first impressions it would seem the evo is more suited for being a sports car, less so than an estate. They have their strengths and weaknesses on both ends. One is handles better with solid firm suspension, but at an expense of a nice quiet comfy cruise I guess... we have the option to make ours like the evo with a bit of extra spending no doubt, but the lack of bolt on turbo upgrades makes things difficult to go really really fast... I dunno if I could find an evo 5 with 80k on the clock for less than $10k I'd probably have bought it, but on the other hand, how cool would it be having a 300kw atw innocent looking wagon that can blow away most evos, even ones that are mildly worked, and that cost less?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I guess at the end of the day, you can't go wrong either way lol

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Sure this particular Evo V is a pretty decent price, but once you consider it's faults (94'000kms with no timing belt change, small scratches on the front and rear bumper, dents on the front right wheel guard, faded brakes, door cloth falling from the interior etc) plus also registration and compliance on top of that, it suddenly doesn't seem that cheap. Decent examples I'd expect to go for $23k+ and as brad said, I couldn't justify to extra premium on top of the VR4 for one.

The $18,800 is a complied price. When you consider what it would cost to get a 98 manual VR4 ($12-16k), then fit Recaros & Brembos (which the Evo has standard), you're at about the same price.

G

Unregistered
The $18,800 is a complied price.

True, my mistake.

When you consider what it would cost to get a 98 manual VR4 ($12-16k), then fit Recaros & Brembos (which the Evo has standard), you're at about the same price.

$12k-16k is a pretty big range when considering a VR4. If you spend $12k and say you spend $2.5k on Brembo's and Recaros (which is pretty reasonable) then your still a couple of thousand in the clear.

Even if you spend $16k on a VR4, then you are likely comparing a pretty decent VR4 to an average Evo V

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
If you were to spend 16k on a VR4 right now it better be a top example. Sunroof, manual, recaros and/or black. A really nice VR4 can be had for like 12k easily.
In saying that an EVO 5 for 19k does sound nice, especially if you had the dosh to have a VR4 daily and EVO weekender. Comfort doesn't seem to be a factor in older Evo's so i'd think the VR4 would be a better all rounder.practical, fast, good looking, handles well and is pretty down low (well compared to an EVO!). I'd think of the older EVO's as a track weapon, or good fun though nice unclogged roads but a bit much for a daily. Newer EVO's like the 9 and 10 seem more refined though, have tamed the beast a bit.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
If you were to spend 16k on a VR4 right now it better be a top example. Sunroof, manual, recaros and/or black. A really nice VR4 can be had for like 12k easily.

Not anymore. Exchange rate = silly prices. Search VR-4 at J-Spec and you'll see what I mean.

I guess there are some available locally cheaper, but the cars with decent mods are still high teens. I stick by my contention that the Evo 5 is a better value proposition.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I love the EVO5 and 6......almost bought a 6 a little while back...now I just made my car look like one...and I can carry the pram...car seat...etc etc.

Hmmmmm maybe I can get the partner to get one........hmmmm

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Was the Evo5 sold locally here at one point? Or did no one do compliancing until about a year ago for these?

Top Bottom