Fog HID Conversion...?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Ok so might last log of Eclipse H3 white bulbs has given up the ghost so before just buying another pair am looking for other options be they LED/HID whatever.

Has anyone done a HID conversion for their fogs and what kit did you use, thoughts?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
any HID kit should work, as long as...

1. same bulb type - H3 i think
2. you can run the wire safely
3. mount the ballast somewhere..
4. worse case.. you'll need to run a relay for both..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Am I correct in saying foglights on a preface lift are already projectors? So ideal ffor a Hid conversion?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Am I correct in saying foglights on a preface lift are already projectors? So ideal ffor a Hid conversion?

Fogs on the PFL are already projectors, but the lights would still be scattered, as they're made to light up the front of the car..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Yeah fog lights are only meant to be used during foggy conditions (I'm sure this comes as a surprise). So no cut off as they are meant to light up the road and corners of the front of the car. I did a HID conversion to my car as I did all the other lights, so just to keep everything in sync. (A pet peeve of mine is different coloured/mis-matched lights). I cable tied the ballasts on the little shelf created by the fog light enclosure. The only tricky bit was running the wires into the light enclosure as there's a locking cup. I just used the soldering to melt a little gap in the cup for the wires. Been like that for 3 years and they still work fine. Well I think they're still fine as they are never needed and I might turn them on once a year if it's a foggy night in the hills.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Yeah fog lights are only meant to be used during foggy conditions (I'm sure this comes as a surprise).

I live either in semi rural or halfway up the mountains area, so come the winter months, especially through the many properties with dams it can get quite foggy up here, but i want to keep them functional.
i used to hate mismatched lights, but function over form is leading me to either buy a set of 3000k HIDs (Yellow) or get some yellow UV resistant contact to cover the fog light lense and run a whiter Halogen bulb to give the same effect as a HID..

not sure how effective either would be at actually cutting through fog, but i'm told Yellow is the best colour to go for.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Yeah my Silva had yellow fogs and they worked the best by far.

MLVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Thai
Drive
EVO 7 RS with EVO 9 FACE LIFT
i just did a conversion not long ago with H3, 3000K with slim ballast from ebay for $30 delivered. its brighter than stock for sure, but the beam seems to be angled down too much on my car. Need to adjust the angle. I haven't tried using them properly in foggy conditions yet, so not too sure how well it would be, but it should be good.

please note when doing this conversion on a FL (dual foggy), you won't be able to use the original rear cap/cover unless you hack into it (not sure about PFL). I chose not to hack into it so that I can reuse it for standard bulbs if i need to, plus its too rare to find replacements? what I used to seal up the foggy was one of those tow ball covers (below) that's made out of rubber/silicone from supercheap ($5ea). I cut it about half way, then put a X cut on the top just big enough to keep water/moisture out, then feed the wires through and then zip tied it down tight. I then soldered the wires to some connectors I got from the wreckers that fits perfectly to the original plug (for easy connection). I mounted the ballast to the back of the fog light bracket with double sided tape and zip tie. (does the job)

50mm diameter (from memory)
once you cut it half way it becomes about 54mm? which can stretch to fit.
images

Top Bottom