Freelander V6 - The Hippo

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
We put our LR Discovery out to pasture on the weekend and traded it in on Land Rovers rally model.

There are some similarities between the wifes Freelander and the Legnum. Both are 2.5L V6's and all wheel drive. Interestingly the standard wheels are 5 x 114.3 +40 so wheel swaps down the track are possible. Also being the V6, the reliabilty issues of the 1.8 version are gone.

It's cheap to lift for offroad duties (circa $300) and will look sweet with some Oz Racing Rally rims like the ones Ford's WRC team fitted to their recce cars (http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/onthehorizon/freelander_msport.shtml).

Hopefully it's a little easier on fuel than our old Disco with it's chipped V8. It's a daily driver for the wife and will take care of camping duties.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I'd definitely like to have something like this as a second car down the track, to do a little bit of offroad and take care of camping. The Legnum slowly becomes less and less practical for camping trips :(
Softback too!

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
The back of the Legnum gets way low with camping gear in it, but that's Tein Basic Wagon Coilovers for ya. I does fit more gear in it than our old Discovery and the wife suggested it get a towbar for our camper trailer, but I don't really want one.

Now the Leggie just does commute and trackday duties. It's also a backup when the Freelander gets serviced, but it should do way less kays now.

We both always liked the look of the softbacks and it fits three kiddie seats for the family, way cooler than the 5 door wagon IMO. I just wish it was faster.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I just wish it was faster.

I think this is what most people think about the sensible cars they buy lol. Back of my Leggie is quite good when full of gear but it's more the extra km's and the possibilities of going off-road that would see me sitting in something like this.

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
You should get one. You know you want to!:cool:

Top Bottom