GSM Pager alarm

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I've been looking at getting an alarm that will send me an SMS when it's activated. I almost bought the Rhino RAMv2 however as it's not technically AS approved, my insurance co. won't touch it. Now looking at using a piggy back type SMS unit.

So now considering either going with a Rhino RAv2 or a Mongoose M80(xx) - not sure which yet, opinions? - and a Mongoose MTP-3 pager. both all up around $400 supplied.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, I don't want to spend over $500, and will fit it myself.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Trav there's two probs I have with such a setup which I'll point out, but may or may not be a concern for you. First is its only useful if the car is where you left it AND you're in reasonable range. If its at home and you're out in the city or something its not gonna do you much good... That's where a GPS system comes into its own - no matter where it is, as long as the unit hasn't been discovered and destroyed, you can always find out where the car is even if its been stolen and moved it to an unknown location.

The second problem is SMS is not a guaranteed contact medium - I commonly get SMSs hours or sometimes DAYS after they were sent, and every so often I never get them at all. Its a problem that occurs with all mobile carriers. The only way you can be sure you'll get the message is if the device actually calls your mobile, and keeps trying until it gets through.

Having said that, a GPS system that calls your phone will set you back twice the money you're interested in spending, so we're not exactly talking about the same sort of stuff... To my way of thinking, though, I'd prefer to save up a couple more weeks and make sure what I put in there would do exactly what I needed, instead of half the money for something that might not actually come through for me when I need it.

Anyway just my 2c :)

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Thanks Trev, I'm happy just to rely on sms. If I miss out then I'll just take the insurance payout and find a new car :(

Just to correct you on a minor point though, if the car is at home and I'm on the other side of the earth, I can at least immobilise the car by sending an SMS command back. This would also be helpful in a jacking situation. Let them take the car.....I'll just shut it down when they get to the next intersection :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just to correct you on a minor point though, if the car is at home and I'm on the other side of the earth, I can at least immobilise the car by sending an SMS command back. This would also be helpful in a jacking situation. Let them take the car.....I'll just shut it down when they get to the next intersection :D
Good point - to be honest I didn't take the time to look over the specs you provided, just glanced over your description. Sounds like it's got the feature-set you're after - right product + right price = sale! ;)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i was orriginally going to get the GPS sms module for the alarm i wanted, its only $300 extra to add it to just about any alarm, it sends an sms with GPS location etc.

i think its a good idea just not sure if its worth the money. was around $900 odd with everything installed Mongoose black wire and gps module

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wes do you know what model that was? I'm very keen to find out - I haven't been able to find anything at that kind of price - $1000 is ballpark for what I've been able to find...

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
depends on how you do it.. I know for sub $1k I can do something that will tell you on the web where your car is what is gong on inside it and directoin/speed AND you can talk to the driver and do something about it IF the car is taken.

www.ezy2c.com

give that a click. I bought one for a second vehicle and it suits my needs well.

Top Bottom