Guard rolling on a facelift

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Question... My rear tyres scrub when a bit of load is in the car and I am wondering what you guys with flares have done to roll the guards.

And no I don't want to cut the metal add the will be spot welds there...

It's the mounting rivet for the flare that had me stumped...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
You need to remove all the mounting brackets. Don't worry, the flare won't pop off. There are 3 clips within the guard that also hold it on. And you can always use some extra glue if you're worried.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
are you sure its not just rubbing on the flare? mine were, eventually the problem stopped when it ran out of flare

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Just put it up on Jon's hoist, it looks like it isn't hitting the flare, but the end of the lip of the panel, which is a really sharp piece of metal which we have bent up. So will see how that goes, I may not need to touch the flares at all now!

Thanks though, I didn't know there were clips inside. Kinda has to be now I think about it lol

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
would you mind to show some pics please of what you see and how you manage to fix. when my car is back on the road I will have to do the same coz mine was chewing out my rear tyres. Thanks..

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
I had this problem while running 245/30/19's. Fitted 235/30/19's and no more rubbing, even with a load. I have Achilles ATR Sport fitted and they seem very good grip wise, wet or dry, with very little road noise. I'm happy with them so far.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
would you mind to show some pics please of what you see and how you manage to fix. when my car is back on the road I will have to do the same coz mine was chewing out my rear tyres. Thanks..

I probably won't be pulling the wheels of until I get the flare rubbers from the group buy and is a bit hard to take photos with them on.
But if you run your hand around the top of the wheel arch behind the flares its pretty hard to miss. Jon bent it up out of the way so will see how it goes over the next few days. My tyres aren't hella flush bro so they should miss the flares... Fingers crossed!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
This is what my guards look like underneath. This was to fit the 18x8.5 +20. You can see the cut guard liner, the rolled guard and the pins in the outer guard holding the flare on even with the supports under the guard removed.

P1010433.jpg

P1010432.jpg

P1010431.jpg

P1010430.jpg

P1010429.jpg

P1010427.jpg

P1010426.jpg

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
That's what I had to do as well...

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
I just got the sharp metal tab rolled. probably expensive option as it was the same price as getting the whole guard done. $80 per corner. I dont scrub any more with a car load of peeps though.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Is it possible to remove the flares completely? I like these cars better with out them.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
Is it possible to remove the flares completely? I like these cars better with out them.
I'm pretty sure it leaves holes in your guards from where the clips clip into.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I'm pretty sure it leaves holes in your guards from where the clips clip into.

It does and the rears only have a lip on half of the guard so that would look ridiculous. Its personal preference but I think rolling the plastic rather than cutting them gives a better finish if you have the time and patience.

Top Bottom