Hard pipes

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
hi guys so having problems with the inlet pipe to throttle popping off :( (is it just me or is that design straight aids) just wondering what u guys think i should do in the way of replaceing or moding these hoses. cheers

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Is the rubber insert severely warped or torn? The intercooler kit doesn't include the throttle body intake elbow.

BR1JZL

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brian
Drive
EC5A VR-4 Galant
Don't buy one of those kits, had major issues with them (too small as well to be honest). You are better off getting one from Ivan, if you are after an intercooler kit. For the throttle body piping, you can just replace the rubber insert, can't remember the part number though.

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
I was under the impression that the rubber seal between the elbow and the TB is something that you cant buy separately?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Pros Engineering make something if you can find one, maybe @trotty can help.

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
thanks guys going to try a few things today and cheers for the heads up ill stay away from that ebay kit! ill try the tape idea and get new hose clamp today as the rubber apart looks alright. but that elbow design is a shocker! even if i can find a 130degree elbow and sum steel pipe :/ i dont know ill try sum shit!

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
I have noticed this and It is annoying me to no end. I am trying to fit it and the stupid thing keeps tightening and the worm drive clamp creeps up towards the TB... due to the splits in the elbow, it shrinks as it tightens (intended by design). That little rubber insert is... well... not staying round. It is warping when the elbow in inserted (I think).

I will be getting a hard pipe kit and that SHOULD solve this issue and as I am not driving mine... at all at this stage, it is not an issue really. Hopefully get the hard pipes before I get the wheels, or around the same time. Get that all fitted so the air flow is not messed with.

It strikes me as a little superfluous...?? Maybe creating a surer seal?? Is that the goal?

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
I ended up going ivans stage 2+ kit then for extra $50 got his piece to replace the pipe were having the drama with! U could probly just buy the one piece off him and it will fix it ;) just a heads up with that pipe u might want to replace the vacuum joiner with brass as the ones that come with it are extremely weak i broke one and when installing the pipe but apart from that i have not had a blow off since and that makes me very happy! Plus red pipes are pretty rad

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
I still have a vacuum leak sum where :( but least i know its not in my intake pipes :)

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 COTY
2022 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
1999 Honda Civic EX
I updated the throttle body with a JDM Diamante 67mm. I used a 2.75" 90° silicone to a 2.75"od, 18" long, 30° Aluminum pipe and a 2.5" to 2.75" coupler. with the R/C boat water inlets. no welding required but this will only work if you have the coned intake.

PXL_20230701_183428173.jpg

bjk

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Billy-Jack
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
FYI, without tuning, the stock ECU tends not to like cone filters as it disrupts the MAF signal. Some might be better than others, but personally I had huge drops in AFRs to the point it would stutter at full throttle. The K&N unit for the 3000GT, or just a panel filter are the best options from what I've seen.

And I know open pod noises are fun, but intake temps have got to be terrible with where the filter is. I thought about trying to enclose my pod, but an airbox just makes more sense to achieve the same goal.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
FYI, without tuning, the stock ECU tends not to like cone filters as it disrupts the MAF signal. Some might be better than others, but personally I had huge drops in AFRs to the point it would stutter at full throttle. The K&N unit for the 3000GT, or just a panel filter are the best options from what I've seen.

And I know open pod noises are fun, but intake temps have got to be terrible with where the filter is. I thought about trying to enclose my pod, but an airbox just makes more sense to achieve the same goal.
I have been contemplating this. I did have the box k&n filter but since I'm able to get my car tuned by Steve from TME I decided to go this route. Plus it looks nice.
Steve at TME is in the process of tuning my car.

Reactions: bjk

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
stock with a pod the car didnt run great. that, straight pipe and a BOV and i ran ungodly rich. got about 200ks to a tank stock tuned.

redid the whole intake setup. hardpiping straight to the turbo inlet, pod where battery used to be, got rid of that massive runaround of plastic piping and got it tuned by TME.
Steve never mentioned if it caused any AFR issues during tuning, but i also didnt ask haha

definitely interested in dyno figures tuned on a stock intake with pod setup though.

Legnum in America

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Mike
Drive
1999 Honda Civic EX
Steve is in the process of doing a remote tune for my car. I have a stock tune but upgraded the ECU to a 7202 model. I have lots of mods but I'm still getting around 400-440 km per tank. I am very interested to see what's going to happen after the tune is done.

Top Bottom