Stainless steel hard pipes

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Hey all,

I can get my hands on stainless steel pipe for free in most sizes and wall thickness so was thinking about doing hard pipes for my intercooler with it.

I've been doing some searching and people seem to say that the only issues with using stainless are the weight/price issues.

Is anyone else running stainless steel intercooler piping? or any thoughts?

Cheers

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Stainless will be a lot heavier than n mild steel, plus it'll retain the heat of the engine bay. BUT seeing you get it for free and if you're not concerned about the weight then go for it. I would however have them ceramic coated to keep out the heat!

G

Unregistered
yea apart from the weight i dont see a problem!! my new legnum im building up has S/Steel 2n a half inch Tube being used so wll thickness is thin but strong

G

Unregistered
i did a megga build lancer engine with all s/s piping. Never had issues with heat soak and now once it was all finished we sent it off to be refinished in a brushed look.
Image006-3.jpg

Image002-2.jpg

my new piping will be all s/s and then possibly start the inlet manifold too.

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Thanks guys,

Thats one shiny engine bay!

I'll use 2.5" too and with the smallest wall thickness i can get (think 1 or 1.2mm)

Ceramic coating is a good idea. I did have a little concern that once the s/s got hot it would take longer for the heat to dissipate.

Thanks again for the feedback. Stainless piping it is !!! :)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks guys,

Thats one shiny engine bay!

I'll use 2.5" too and with the smallest wall thickness i can get (think 1 or 1.2mm)

Ceramic coating is a good idea. I did have a little concern that once the s/s got hot it would take longer for the heat to dissipate.

Thanks again for the feedback. Stainless piping it is !!! :)

Yep , SS will retain the heat big time without any coatings. Coatings are your friend(y)

Top Bottom