help, whats better then mozilla

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
im using mozilla atm, its good but to bulky for my laptop and has this cool feature where it freezes everytime i open a tab or two

anyone using chrome?

i just dont want to convert my 300 favourited links over another brower

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Paul it shouldn't be crashing like that, either it has some kind of file corruption somewhere, you have a dodgy add-on installed or you have some other problem. I personally use and prefer Firefox, although I have Chrome installed on most of my PCs too, I've just never liked it's interface as much. I hate IE and it's non-compliance with HTTP standards, drives me up the wall. Opera is ok, I've never used it much though, as is Safari, but once again Apple's insistence on forcing you to do everything on Safari and their non-standards designed websites miffs me off too much to ever seriously consider it.

But as I said at the start of this post, I think you have some other issue which swapping browsers will only hide (if at all).

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Lynx ;)

Nothing, if you use ieTab with it :)

Never liked Opera and Chrome needs to mature a tad more.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
thanks for the info Trev, i might do as brad suggested and un/re install

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I have been annoyed with the latest few versions of Firefox too.

After a while, it does this weird thing where it will only load the page IF you are moving the mouse. Let go of the mouse, & the page will stop loading! :eek:hmy:

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Do any of you Firefox users find it incredibly slow with Ebay?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
No. Well, other than eBay loading a million images per page, but that will be due to your 'net connection, processor speed and available resources - on a Core 2 or greater with a new FF session on a reasonable speed connection eBay is as snappy as any other site.

And KP, that's a problem with your computer, not FF :banghead:

There IS a known issue with FF if you have heaps of tabs open and browse to rich MM content sites (such as video sites) as FF can have difficulty clearing it's cache out, so it starts to chew through resources and can bring the PC to a grinding slowdown. But on relatively new / powerful hardware you'd be hard pressed to notice that.

I think the only reason IE8 doesn't have the same problem is because it would have crashed long before ;)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
And KP, that's a problem with your computer, not FF :banghead:

FF ran just fine on my laptop, until the latest few 3.5 versions came out.

I put Chrome on our servers we install as FF is as slow as dogcrap on them, & IE8 is locked down for security.

Bruce, I haven't had any dramas with EBay on FF on my laptop, when FF is working properly of course :001_unsure:.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've got 3.5.6 on my laptop, hasn't skipped a beat. Probably for similar reasons to you I also use it on servers and haven't seen the same issues you have. I even have it on a TS with up to 10 users using it at the same time and there've been no performance nor stability issues. I also have 3.6 beta 5 running on my new workstation with Win7-64 and have had (surprisingly) zero issues with it on that, including importing all my cache from 3.5.4 on my old PC (XP) - all the tabs (about 30 of them) opened up fine first time and it's as snappy and responsive as if fresh from a clean boot. Admittedly it probably WOULD take quite a bit before that computer would start to show performance issues, but still, running beta software is probably how you'd manage it! ;)

So yea, sorry if my comment seemed dismissive, but I support possibly hundreds of PCs and dozens of servers running different versions of Firefox and am yet to see the performance issue you describe...

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
I used to use Opera a long time ago and just DLed it again... not bad so far, though it isnt as good on vbulletin forums as IE with pics

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Been using chrome a few months now and find it is very stable, not a single error or lock up of any sort so far.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The new version of ns.com has come with this cool upgrade where I am completely unable to log in using Firefox. Works with IE though. Rather annoying.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
The new version of ns.com has come with this cool upgrade where I am completely unable to log in using Firefox. Works with IE though. Rather annoying.

i thought it was only me, god mozilla sucks.

im tempted to jump ship to chrome

Top Bottom