hey. gto owner. thinking about a galant vr4

GTO

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Mitsubishi GTO
hey, whats the easy to reach awkw/awhp that these cars can put out? i currently own a 98 GTO MR wich im about to rebuild the engine on. i was thinking about buying a galant vr4 because i reckon they look wicked. and i love twin turbos :D

another question are the turbo's like break neck turbo's or slow to boost sequentials like the legacy B4?

marc.r

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marc
Drive
purple legnum
Hey dude,

Do it galants are great. You can reach about 180-190 awkw (all 4!) with a cat back, front mount and a flash tune as long as your supporting stuff is ok. not a huge outright figure but you will be getting 85% of that from 4000rpm.

the turbos are tiny and come on boost really quick only to run out of puff at about 5500rpm. that is a great thing in my opinion. it means its really easier to drive quickly and the drive-ability is fantastic. 60-140 this is a fantastic car.

the disadvantage is no high end or outright power so you wont be winning many qtr miles!

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
Welcome bro, the best thing I find great with the legnums is that ppl don't understand what the true potential of these cars n also how much of a family friendly they really are.....

Galants n legnums are fantastic daily drivers n also great weekender too..... hope u get one then u will see what we are all raving about

Cheers Jeff

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Welcome!

Without spending on turbos/manifolds the limit for these cars seems to be just over the 200 awkw mark. They are by no means dyno-queens though, it's more about getting in and driving - they corner fantastically well for their size and the low-end is much friendlier than in some big-turbo setups or 4-cylinder cars.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Hey dude,

Do it galants are great. You can reach about 180-190 awkw (all 4!) with a cat back, front mount and a flash tune as long as your supporting stuff is ok. not a huge outright figure but you will be getting 85% of that from 4000rpm.

the turbos are tiny and come on boost really quick only to run out of puff at about 5500rpm. that is a great thing in my opinion. it means its really easier to drive quickly and the drive-ability is fantastic. 60-140 this is a fantastic car.

the disadvantage is no high end or outright power so you wont be winning many qtr miles!

add in front pipes, fuel pump, hard intake and cooler pipes to that list, and the power figure should be closer to 200kw at the tyres, with real quick and loud spool rates

and they'll do about a 13second quarter with that. i dont think anyone has dipped into 12s yet...but most of us arent big on the striaght line stuff.

check these links:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?11-INDEX-Look-here-FIRST. (index to lots of good stuff)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?6799-Cyber-Scriber-s-guide-to-Galant-Legnum-common-problems (common issues/fixes)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9330-The-most-important-thread-on-the-forum.-MUST-READ (all the info about these cars and their varients)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?4889-Staged-Upgrades (staged upgrades)
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?7229-Legnum-Galant-Production-Info-HELP (production info)

oh and if you're wondering why you cant post a new thread, its cause you hav to be a donating member, which is $5.

GTO

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Mitsubishi GTO
200. hmm sounds kinda weak. the gto puts down around 190awkw stock, after i can be bothered getting around to doing the mods it should be around the 314kw atw. i have all the mods in the garage. but it doesnt have 4doors. but with the rear seats down it has a decent boot haha. i would like to have the galant as a daily with a sound system and a bodykit and keep the GTO as my speed demon. i dont like the legnums as much as the galants. im not ready to go that path yet.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah it's a pretty redundant point, if you wanted the fastest traffic light warrior or the biggest dyno number then these cars aren't for you! Having said that, they go pretty quick and certainly quicker than most people would think.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
hey, whats the easy to reach awkw/awhp that these cars can put out? i currently own a 98 GTO MR wich im about to rebuild the engine on. i was thinking about buying a galant vr4 because i reckon they look wicked. and i love twin turbos :D

another question are the turbo's like break neck turbo's or slow to boost sequentials like the legacy B4?

You'll get a variety of answers as you have large varsity of backgrounds that will respond. What you won't get is someone saying, 'fcuk yer man, dey do fully sik skids n run hard- i dragged off this dude t other night.... Go visit nissansilvia if thats what you like.

Having owned a variety of turbo cars over the past 11 years, i can still say that the Leggy/Galant is a very potent combo. Its like driving a V8, massive torque from very low revs and pulls like a train to around 5500-6000 with the mods paulie has mentioned. 170-200kW might not sound like much, but let me say with a, Sil80RB26 & 32GTR RB26/30, both with 500-600+hp the Leggy is deceptively fast. What makes it deceptive is its ability to pull from 2000rpm, its not revving like a banshee to get the job done, it doesn't need to. With 300+nm from 2800, its effortless, a businessman's EVO if you like without looking like one.
They are practical and don't attack the attention of a slammed/tricked-out ride of many other makes. The fuel economy can be quite decent ( i get around 9L/100km and after the ECU flash, even better)

THe turbo's are very small for instant response, so they run out of puff in the top end but after storming torque for a large part of the rev range, it doesn't need to rev. They are not sequential, both work the same all the time.
Go for a ride in one and see what you think. Depending on where in NT you are Marcus, there are a few guys in Darwin that maybe able to help you out with that.

GTO

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Mitsubishi GTO
yeah im around the darwin area. i hate skids hence the AWD fascination. i took the GTO for a spin in the wet the other day and tried to spin out but couldnt. i love control and responsiveness. i would love to go for a drive in a 98/99 galant twin turbo to get a feel. i'll hit up the NT section. see what i can muster up. thanks jungle. i want to buy one now. i dont have the cash now but i may sell the 300zx or swap it for a galant

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Weclome, Marcus.

Don't concern yourself too much with a peak power figure.

For a road car, real world response and driveability is a more desirable trait than a dyno queen.

The other thing to remember is that yes, your GTO might be good for 190kw atw. However, it also weighs 1,710kgs.

200kw atw in the lightest spec VR-4 Galant (1,460kgs) is plenty for the street.

Having said that, one of our member (Valmes) has had his VR-4 down the quarter mile in 11.3 seconds, which isn't hanging around.

You've said you're after a VR-4 as a daily and that you love control and response. The VR-4 ticks all those boxes. Smooth, comfortable, responsive, practical, grippy and with deceptive pace - a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

If you're after a comprehensive review of the ins and outs of our cars, check this out:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?78-New-to-VR4-s

Try and test drive a good, manual VR-4 Galant. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

GTO

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Mitsubishi GTO
do the gto TD-04 turbo's bolt upto the galant manifold? i have a pair lying around. there used but have minimal if any, shaft play. just incase anyone was interested. but if they do bolt up ... i may keep them for my galant ;) i want to keep my galant close to stock and not go down the highly modified road, as hard as that is for me. im just chucking it out their incase anyone is interested in buying some GTO TD04's. throw me an offer.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
No they dont bolt up..some work is required...some of the members here re working on a turbo upgrade kit but it wont be cheap..

GTO

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Mitsubishi GTO
oh k. well it would been wicked if they did. if i can get them to work i'll post pics of my current pride and joy

gtocruisetolitchy1.jpg

cruising :D

gtosidekoya2.jpg

where it sat for ages

gtoandevo7.jpg

little brother, big brother

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Like Aamir said, Josh and I are making a TD04 upgrade manifold so you might want to hang onto those spare turbos.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Met up with Marcus last night and had a look at the GTO, they are actually Koya wheels not Rotas.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
They look like my old Koyas :(
Wish they fit over the Brembos, stupid brakes!

GTO

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Mitsubishi GTO
yeah, i like the koya's their heaps light compared to the ones it came with (ugly ass 20" chromies) and the colour suits the car. i saw the same wheel on a hsv ute. kinda ruined it for me.

as for the engine lift. i only went as far as the plenum. going to continue 2day tho. hopefully have the alternator, powersteering pump and the belts off 2day. along with the A/C compressor.

thanks macca for the drive. it actually confirmed my hopes. it has the amount of power im looking for. so now its definate. my next car is going to be a 98-00 galant vr4 :D

Top Bottom