VIC Hi all, new 1996 VR4 Galant here

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Hi everyone, a lot of great knowledgeable people in this forum, have been searching for an answer for my problem but haven't been able to find it.

So to keep it short, I put the battery cables on the battery the wrong way around and blasted some fuses and the car doesn't start anymore and only cranks.

I found that the 100A fuse was blown which I replaced, and a 10A fuse as well which I also replaced. The electronics in the car all work well, cranks great, but doesn't start. I have added fresh fuel as it was low on fuel and I have tried jump starting it. It still doesn't start. There is a fresh fuel smell in the engine bay so I don't believe the fuel pump is broken, the timing belt is also new so I don't believe it's that either. It could be the sparks so I still need to check that. Are there any other ideas for why it may not start? I'm thinking the crank angle or camshaft sensor could be fried or maybe some of the relays. Would be great to hear any other ideas as the car was running amazing before I accidentally put the battery cables the wrong way around 😭 thanks in advance

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Do you get a check engine light for a few seconds after turning key to 'ON'?

If yes, check for spark while cranking.

If yes, try unplugging MAF and starting.

Fresh smell of fuel in engine bay doesn't sound healthy regardless imo.

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Do you get a check engine light for a few seconds after turning key to 'ON'?

If yes, check for spark while cranking.

If yes, try unplugging MAF and starting.

Fresh smell of fuel in engine bay doesn't sound healthy regardless imo.
No check engine light, only red battery light as well as a oil pressure light. Will try unplugging the MAF though, thanks for the advice 👍

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Hate to say it but the ol' reverse polarity has likely barbequed something. Your likely in for a fair bit of electrical diagnoses to get this nut cracked
Agreed, I did this once on my old swift sport track car and fried the ECU and ABS module.

Check for spark first and stop cranking with the fuel pump connected as you have probably well and truly flooded it now, hence the smell.

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Agreed, I did this once on my old swift sport track car and fried the ECU and ABS module.

Check for spark first and stop cranking with the fuel pump connected as you have probably well and truly flooded it now, hence the smell.
Doesn't sound good at all then. Would an OBD scan find the problem? I believe it could be the ECU, I thankfully have a spare ECU but need to check for fried wires first before installing it to check if it works, thanks for the advice though hopefully I get this sorted soon 👍 on a side note I do see a yellow ABS signal on the dash when cranking which I thought was strange so maybe the module is fried?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Doesn't sound good at all then. Would an OBD scan find the problem? I believe it could be the ECU, I thankfully have a spare ECU but need to check for fried wires first before installing it to check if it works, thanks for the advice though hopefully I get this sorted soon 👍 on a side note I do see a yellow ABS signal on the dash when cranking which I thought was strange so maybe the module is fried?
I would be follwing BCX's instructions first.

It wouldn't hurt to check codes. The VR4 is NOT OBD2, rather Mitsubishi's own protocol MUT-II

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
The CEL comes on for a few seconds then usually turns off if no errors, or comes back on if there is an error logged.

No CEL would indicate the ECU has no power or is toast.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Will need to check wiring diagrams... but off the top of my head, check for power at OBD connector between pin 4 and pin 16. This should have 12v all the time.

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Thanks for this, it'll come in handy for tomorrow when I'm scanning it 🙏
I would be follwing BCX's instructions first.

It wouldn't hurt to check codes. The VR4 is NOT OBD2, rather Mitsubishi's own protocol MUT-II

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
The CEL comes on for a few seconds then usually turns off if no errors, or comes back on if there is an error logged.

No CEL would indicate the ECU has no power or is toast.
Hmmm I think i remember seeing a CEL briefly when I put the car on "On" mode. However I do have a hunch that the problem may lie at the ECU

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Will need to check wiring diagrams... but off the top of my head, check for power at OBD connector between pin 4 and pin 16. This should have 12v all the time.
Okay bit of an update. Had an auto electrician look at the car. Wiring and fuses/relays are all good which is nice to know. Spark isn't getting power though. It sparks with power but just not getting power from ecu. Bloke said it was likely something to do with the ECU. Looked at everything else and the spark plugs were the only problem with the car, so gonna give the ECU a look tomorrow and see if my spare one works 👍

Top Bottom