Hooker Aero Chamber muffler - thoughts?

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
I've been recommended one of these by a friend, I've done a little (all of five minutes' worth) research and it seems the Americans like them. Anyone seen/heard of these before? Available locally for less than $100, may consider giving one a try.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Interesting, would be good if it could do what it advertises.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
interrested, looks like a good price to.

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
I almost bought one of these very recently, cheap and good quality. Anyone heard of Hooker headers? These mufflers are a division of Holley. More aimed at the old school V8 market where the muffler is further forward under the body and not right at the rear like our cars. The only reason I didnt get one was cuause of the asthetics, not the prettiest muffler in the world, but would like to see you get one and try it!

This is the oneI was going to get...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOOKER-A...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebc842541

This is what I ended up with

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/product_info.php?cPath=124_295&products_id=3195

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
A mate of mine had Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers on his Aristo and they sounded sweet. Awesome muffler and quite thick construction they give a nice deep note without the tinny resonance of a Stainless or Rolled seamed Lukey glasspacked muffler and the like.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
ok now im looking at this muffler couple of ???? what high flow cat would you use and what resinator(hot dog) if any would u put in.can i use this as a straight through system?this is what i was looking at starting at cat put high flow 3 inch to 3.5 inch pipe to 3.5 inch hot dog 3.5 straight through to this muffler any thoughts, remember im in a fto with legnum engine and car is nowhere as long as the legnum wagon.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
if i remember corectly steve told me 4 inch in my fto is what i need(but i may be mistaken cant remember i have to talk with steve@tme again)

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
ok so going on with my ?? about hot dogs and cats what would you use with this muffler? i have in car at moment 2.5 inch standard cat hot dog and lukey muffler and you cant hear my car at all verry quiet but when it had the fto original engine car sounded sweet , this is why im looking at 3.5 inch let me know your thoughts guys . i only want to do this once and properly the first time!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
When it comes to turbos, any turbos, bigger is better. Less restriction is better, unlike n/a cars that require some back pressure to extract exhaust gasses faster.
The only negatives going 3.5 or larger is that it would be fricken loud and expensive.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
ok so would a 3 inch with high flow cat then straight through to this muffler at end work? not using any hot dogs,so start at cat then 3 inch pipe all the way to rear muff will this work well and not too loud?

G

Unregistered
I'm no expert but I think maybe 4 inch is too big?
What are the majority of people here running, including the mechanics and car whizz's amongst us?

G

Unregistered
What's the benefit of this baffled muffler over the factory item? Is it just larger inlet/outlets? I would have through a straight-through muffler was the ideal situation and they don't necessarily have to be noisy.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
People really should have bought Ivan's mufflers when he was offering to make them. I have the prototype. It's not too loud and everyone who hears it loves it. (Except my wife at 530 am lol.)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
ok so would a 3 inch with high flow cat then straight through to this muffler at end work? not using any hot dogs,so start at cat then 3 inch pipe all the way to rear muff will this work well and not too loud?
any exhaust 3" or bigger is going to work, just depends on the sound you want and how much money you have to spend. If all you want is performance just get straight pipe all the way, save some money. If you want performance as well but more tolerable noise levels, add a couple hot dogs and a high quality oval muffler. Or you have it somewhere inbetween, all up to your own personal preference.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
took my lukey muffler off the rear today and doesnt sound too bad! so ive now got cat then 2.5 inch with hot dog then straight through(might leave like this for now see how it goes) before with the original fto mivec engine i took same muffler off and it was too loud and ear peirceing but with the legnum turbo one its nice!

Top Bottom