How much would you pay?? Sell or not??

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
I just need some feedback from other enthusiast on here. I don't know what to do.

Problemo- Jon has confirmed that the noise coming from the front left is from the auto trans. Not great news as this will require a replacement/rebuild or man conv at some stage. Car still drives okay but just makes a whine in 1,2&3 gear. When in 4&5 the noise disappears. But don't know if this will last another 50km, 500km or 5,000km!

Now- I'm thinking of selling as is. How much do you guys think this is worth? Everything else works perfectly otherwise.

Deets on Car are as follows-
85,xxx km,
no mods
in the last 12months- new timing belt, all fluids & belts replaced, f &r rotors/pads replaced, coolant & brake fluid flushed, evo x bov, New moonroof motor
black paint- pretty neat all round, only a few minor marks here and there
interior is clean and neat with moonroof
lowered springs
Clarion DVD

Problem is that I'm not in a position to spend $$ on this car right now as I have wedding to save for at the end of the year. Dam wedding... Would have been a perfect excuse to convert to a manual!

Million dollar question: How much do you think I should sell for??????

If I don't sell this as is I'll just get Jon to do a manual conversion early next year :)))

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
Dont think you'd get alot for it? I've seen vr4s go for 5 with blown diffs or motors but they had 120,000 - 140,000 k's .. Id guestimate 6-7

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
But i'd say keep it..

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
You might get 5k, i don't think pfl autos are worth much anymore. The facelift ones are selling from 8-10k

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
I have seen cheap ones go for less with working motor and gearbox both in manual and in auto.. only problem was some dents but it is easier to get dents fixed like front bar etc.. If you looking for a manual gearbox complete to do a conversion how much you think that would be?? Manual gearbox in newcastle for about 1 grand. dunno if its complete for a conversion though.. How much you fellas think to buy complete set for conversion minus the labor/fitting of course.

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
You can get manual conversion for 1200 from quinton i think.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I think its 1800ish inc shipping

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
Thanks guys. Yeah conversions kits are about $1600 shipped from NZ + clutch + labour. All up through Driven its about $3.5k. In the scheme of things this is cheap considering the power gain, enjoyment & peace of mind knowing the negatives of auto boxes.

I'd be happy to get $5k ;)

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Thanks guys. Yeah conversions kits are about $1600 shipped from NZ + clutch + labour. All up through Driven its about $3.5k. In the scheme of things this is cheap considering the power gain, enjoyment & peace of mind knowing the negatives of auto boxes.

I'd be happy to get $5k ;)

Maybe garage the car and buy a cheapie daily to use until after the wedding?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I'm with David...would be lucky to get $5k...

i agree with above.

I sold my FL Galant with a fair bit of mods on it like sound system, wheels, turbo back exhaust, slotted disc just to name a few for $7k and still had about 9 month rego and in excellent condition.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
I might put it on Gumtree to see if I get any bites. Worst case if it doesn't sell I will put in the garage and will covert to manual early next year. Or If I get impatient I will break into the piggy bank and just get the job done earlier!!

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Do the manual conversion. It will pay for itself (mostly) when you do eventually sell the car.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Thanks guys. Yeah conversions kits are about $1600 shipped from NZ + clutch + labour. All up through Driven its about $3.5k.
This is assuming labor only cost about $1000-$1200 - which is what a lot of mechanics charge simply for a clutch job in these cars. Gavin Wood on the gold coast charged me around $2500 for a manual conversion. I know it can be done cheaper than this but I would say more like 4-5K all up depending on your labor cost. Im sure Jons price would be a lot better than what I was charged.

Kenny101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kenny
Drive
98 PFL Legnum
This is assuming labor only cost about $1000-$1200 - which is what a lot of mechanics charge simply for a clutch job in these cars. Gavin Wood on the gold coast charged me around $2500 for a manual conversion. I know it can be done cheaper than this but I would say more like 4-5K all up depending on your labor cost. Im sure Jons price would be a lot better than what I was charged.

Yeah that's roughly how much labour is. Jon is a Pro and could probably do it with his eyes closed haha

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
When I did my manual conversion last year it cost me about $3000 to do it myself, that's conversion kit, hd clutch, oils etc.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I'm in a not to disimilar situation with mine, decided to fix it. Turned out it wasn't what I thought it was so money spent and no further on in my case and made me very sad. And now I'm in for a penny in for a pound so have to keep going.

And I need to get it working so I can drive it back to Perth at the end of the year.

Should never have bought it with me lol.

Top Bottom