I changed my lifters...

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
...and now I have a Subaru :(

I changed my lifters this weekend as well as the spark plugs and when I put it all back together something is very wrong.

It started first go and idles fine, it just sounds like a WRX. I did the 'bleed the lifters' thing and they have now quietened down, but I'm left with this lumpy idle. I took it for a very slow drive around the block to see if it would right itself, but no go. It kinda sounds like the plug leads are around the wrong way, but I have triple checked these.
One of the leads snapped when I was taking it off(stupid Top Gun rubbish), but I still had the original ones which were fine when I took them off, though they have been sitting in a box for the last year and a bit, so this could be a possibility. Other than that, everything is as it was when I pulled it apart yesterday.

If someone comes up with the suggestion that fixes it, I will give them some kind of prize, cause at the moment I'm stuck cycling to work which really sucks at 6am :)

Cheers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I've recently changed my lifters too.. but so far, I've only done the fronts since I dont have enough time..

few questions though,

- how did you change all of the lifters? did you replace the lifters when the valves are totally closed and that the cam lobe is facing away from the valve?
- what I've noticed with the rocker is that, you need to make sure it is sitting on top of the valve and lifter, and I think (from memory) it makes it slight 'click' sound when you have seated it properly..

when I was sure that the rockers where on properly, I rotated the engine very slowly by cranking it bit by bit, until I know that I have done 2 full rotations.. I know it wasn't the best way but at the time, it was the only way I was able to get it done..

I think you should do the following..

- trace back your steps.. so you can see where you have missed something (if you did)
- if you removed your plugs prior to your lifter install, might be wise to remove and check the plugs..
- check the coil pack harness if they are securely connected.. I know mine wanted to come off so I had a clip to hold it down..

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
- how did you change all of the lifters? did you replace the lifters when the valves are totally closed and that the cam lobe is facing away from the valve?
- what I've noticed with the rocker is that, you need to make sure it is sitting on top of the valve and lifter, and I think (from memory) it makes it slight 'click' sound when you have seated it properly..

Yeah, I made sure the valve was closed before removing the rocker. As far as I can tell, you have to otherwise the rocker doesn't come off...well not easily anyway. I also cranked the engine a couple of times to get the lobes in the position needed.
I double checked all the rockers after I installed them to make sure the notch at the rear was seated correctly on top of the valve and that the lifter was under the front 'cap'. I depressed the valve spring a little bit and got my fingers under the cam to try and wiggle the rocker to make sure the notch was correctly positioned. I did this for every rocker. I'm not going to say its impossible for one or more rockers to be positioned incorrectly though.

I only replaced the plugs after I had done all the lifters in each bank, but I'll check these anyway when I pull the thing apart again.
Coil pack harness is definitely OK, I checked this again after I took it for a drive.

I think you are right though, I'm going to have to strip it down again, which is a massive PITA, but I have no choice.

Thanks Christian :)

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
I highly highly doubt you have any lifter problems... cause why? My car is doing the exact same lumpy wrx idle at the moment too since i was doing work over the weekend,

All i did was take out the whole intake manifold and fuel rail and put it back.. though i do know i am somehow lost an intake manifold bolt and i thought the lumpy is cause by that due to air seeping out.. but im thinking of that white canister with the small vacuum lines that go to throttle body i got mixed up?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Ahhh i figured it out! I knew my car was running lean! Forgot to plug back in the fuel regulator line to the throttlr body!

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I removed some of the piping and loosened up the throttle body and intake manifold tonight so I could 'reseat' it and test if it was a dodgy seal, but I still have the same problem. The engine has far more vibration than it should so that makes me think somethings not sitting right. I just hope I'm not scoring the crap out of the cam lobes each time I run it.

Tomorrow after work I'll pull the front rocker cover off and inspect everything there. The rear will have to wait for the weekend.

Cheers for the suggestion Don, lucky yours was an easy one

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
sounds like its not running on all cylinders. that would cause vibration and when one of my leads popped off on my SR it sounded the same as a WRX

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Soooooo.... I found the problem tonight, it's not good. I'm pretty embarrassed about the whole thing.

I took the front rocker cover off and found 3 of the rocker arms had come off. I know I double checked every one of them when I fitted them back on, but obviously I had not quite seated them correctly. The 2 exhaust valves on cylinder one and 1 exhaust valve on cylinder 3 were not opening at all. The rocker arms don't have any evidence of scoring on them so that's a relatively good sign and from what I can see the valve spring looks OK too. My attempt to save some cash looks like its going to cost me a stack more than just a lifter job.
Tip for young players...MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR ROCKER ARMS ARE ON RIGHT !

At this point, I don't know if I have damaged the valves (I'm assuming these are an impact motor??), I'll do a compression test tomorrow night, then if necessary pull the head off and inspect. I will also have to pull the intake manifold off again and check the rear bank too.

The whole thing has made me feel pretty sick. In closing, I suck. :(

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
that's ok, we all make mistakes.. and at least you've learnt a lesson.. right?

about taking off the head.. if you are gonna do that.. you might as well overhaul the whole thing..

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Yeah if I can come up with the money I will, my other addictions are getting in the way though.

Thinking about maybe upgrading cams as well, I'll see how it turns out.

Definitely learnt a lesson though.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
they had come off? shit that makes me feel pretty paranoid. I hope mine are all fine...

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Dude, you'll know if anythings gone wrong. It all sounded so very wrong.

Out of interest Josh, how did you check that your rocker arms were back in place correctly?

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
lol, i did my tappets the other day....didnt even think to check them, they seemed correct when i sat them back on so i just tightened the cam bolts up again and put it all back together. but by the sound of my motor everything is as it should be, and it still goes fine too.
i did stuff up though, i dropped one tappet and one rocker down one of the holes it the head, luckily i managed to get them out, but it wasnt easy, the tappet buried itself probably 80 mm deep. ohh and i snapped a cam bolt. but i got it out and replaced easily enough

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
nope. there are 10 bolts holding down each cam (from memory atleast one has 11) , i just undid them about 5mm each and i could easily lift up the cam to remove the rockers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
nope. there are 10 bolts holding down each cam (from memory atleast one has 11) , i just undid them about 5mm each and i could easily lift up the cam to remove the rockers

:S I hope that you tightened them back according to the service manual..

Top Bottom