I did it and you're all going to hate me but...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I did cross the line. I apologise but I got it cheap and it's silky as to drive.

I'm not a fan of subies as a general performance car (top end stuff I like), but as an everyday car, they're fantastic.

So, here's the new family barge...My 1998 Subaru Liberty RX Wagon:

100_0850.jpg

100_0853.jpg

100_0854.jpg

And it's Django approved:
100_0857.jpg

She has 189,000kms on the clock and it feels like it's done about 10,000. Absolutely smooth to drive. It's no VR4 in terms of outright power and handling, however, it feels very planted and solid and it has enough low end torque for every day driving.

It sports a towball already, logbook servicing up to the last service (the book shows only two missed services since new).

Has a few little paint issues (clear coat coming off on the driver's side front quarter) but it's nothing I can't fix...or ignore :p

I'm very happy with my downgrade :lol: It's all in the name of saving for a house and we're ahead of schedule now which is awesome. At this rate we can buy within the next six months at our expected price range...provided there's a nice enough house to buy, or we can wait a little longer and extend the price range.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
It doesn't run. Plus it'd use my deposit for a house just to get out the driveway in fuel and repairs!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
You'd have to! It'd take all your life to get anywhere :lol:

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
how much is cheap?

Lol @ the apology. I was going to buy a GT Spec. B instead of a Legnum, but then I discovered the Legnum and its price.

How cheap is cheap?

Btw, I've owned a Liberty RS Turbo, one of the best cars i've ever owned - and that had 305,000 on the clock - it felt indestructible.. besides the fact that it needed new coil packs and the lifters were the noisiest thing about the car. I still miss it - it was compact, small and zippy. handled like nothing.. The legnum is a boat compared to that!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
$5800 with rego till Feb. Cheapest RX's I could find before that (and there were not many for sale within 100kms of me! Actually, this was the only one for a week that wasn't rubbish) was $8990 asking price. The RX's don't seem to sit around for long on the market.

I considered the turbo, but the idea was to get a good solid every day car that the both of us can use, lower maintenance costs, fuel costs etc.

Later on I intend on getting a car trailer and a track car or to restore a 57 chev. Probably go the chev route :D

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
needs white rota grids and super low ;)

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
$5800 with rego till Feb. Cheapest RX's I could find before that (and there were not many for sale within 100kms of me! Actually, this was the only one for a week that wasn't rubbish) was $8990 asking price. The RX's don't seem to sit around for long on the market.

Dear god thats dirt cheap. Did it need any minor work or was it a buy that would be considered untouchable for a good year?

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Hey Paul nice lil wagon u got there and great price too..I saw yr galant on pacific Higway the other day and some young chinese dude was driving it with his friend in the passenger seat..they looked like they were enjoying it..must be heart-breaking to have let her gone..and good luck with the car and your future house..

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Aamir: Yep that's the guy who bought it :) He was very happy with it. He was a very crazy driver though (not in a good way either) so I gave him a good "father and son" talk when he bought it. I told him to respect it because it WILL bite him in the arse if he's not careful...especially in the wet.

James: It has the obligitory vertically cracked rear tailgate garnish (has been roughly glued up, no water has gotten in luckily) and the front right quarter panel needs re-clear coating, but other than that it's very tidy and clean. I can see some orange peel where it looks like superficial car-park damage has been repaired on some doors. On closer inspection I can't see any evidence of major accident damage repair. So I'd say it's just been a 'to the shops and back' car with the car park scars to prove it. Definitely needs no work till 200,000kms (major timing belt service)

I'm not fussed on the outside looks myself as I just wanted a reliable and easy to drive daily. I was expecting to have to pay around $9000 for what I wanted...but I saw an outback for $8990 that was in FAR worse condition than this Liberty! It was crazy!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hi there, welcome to team traitor, you now have access to the room over here on the left, where there are cookies.

Enjoy your stay!

Car looks tidy dude, and since you have proper reasons to go the other way, I'm sure you'll get off lighter than me hahaha =P

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Meh, nothing wrong with Team Traitor / the dark side ;)
However, you will return to the light side one day, I couldn't resist :lol:

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I would LOVE to have an HH VR4 track car. Maybe one day :D

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Meh, nothing wrong with Team Traitor / the dark side ;)
However, you will return to the light side one day, I couldn't resist :lol:

Nothing right about it either :D

But seriously, the Libertys are probably the model I like the most out of Subaroos... at least it wasn't an Impussa :D

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Nice colour Paul and that's an outstanding buy!@!

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Cheers Simon! :D

I did actually look at an Impreza wagon...but man they're TINY in the back. I could barely squeeze my legs in when I sat in the back! Too small.

Best thing about this Liberty is it has a real car turning circle :p

Surprisingly, when driving, it feels like a smaller car than the VR4. It doesn't feel like you're in a wagon at all.

Top Bottom