Ignition module testing

G

Unregistered
G'day all!
How would i go about testing if my ignition module is dead? Car wont spark and theres loads of fuel!

Cheers, bart.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Haven't heard of an ignition module giving out. Have you checked your battery charge. Do you have any interior lights. Any "clicking" sounds when turning over the ignition.
First thing check the voltage on the battery. You'll need at least 13 volts and at least 260 cranking amps to turn the car over.

Possibly the alternator.

More details please.

G

Unregistered
Car cranks over fine, can smell fuel out the exhaust. But with plug out and earthed will not spark. Will not fire at at all, not just 1 cylinder.

Had noticed a bit of a miss over the last few weeks, but it died all of a sudden whilst driving.

I've had an ignition module fail on another car and it just dies, no warning.

Just trying to figure out a method for testing the module, a grounded it and put a multimeter across all the pins individually, and could not raise any sort of signal whilst cranking the engine over.

Possible CAS problem? any easy way of checking the CAS?

Cheers, Bart.

joek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
joek
Drive
wagon
Hi, guys. sorry to bring up such an old thread. I had exactly the same problems a couple of days ago, just wondering if there is any ideas on this situation? cheers
Joe

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Sorry Joek, but I dont think a solution was ever published here. I'd be looking for any info on the module via google. See if you can rip it out and find a serial number, or, you could try downloading and installing ASA/CAPS to see what info you can pull out it vs. your VIN number.

As for diagnosing the unit, you could try checking resistance across the input/output terminals for consistency, but I've never had to test one before so dont know any other little tricks.

On a side note, have you check your injectors? Just a thought...

Good luck!

joek

Idling at the Lights
First Name
joek
Drive
wagon
Cheers mate. Will try to sort out sth. Just a little update, my mechanic sent the module to some electrician for a test today... hopefully will know what's going on.

Top Bottom