Individual turbo upgrade

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
im not sure why every one wants bigger turbos, ya can tell whos smart here, power is made on timing and fule mix. if ya gona go bigger turbos ya gona wanna run more boost, stock pistons will hold about 10 PSI befor cracking( its difrent for all cars as build quailty is difrent)

bigger turbo means more fule, more boost, and better timing, its a hole new park going there guys,

dose any one know how much power the auto gear box will hold for a start?? same with man??

the car works 2gether you cant just upgrade one part and expect huge power,
Sheesh Ray PLEASE take the time and effort to write English we actually recognise, there are Russian and German members using machine translators who are easier to understand :banghead: Writing like that isn't 'cool', it makes you look like an illiterate child.

Yes, the point of larger turbos is increasing boost... significantly higher than the stock ones can flow. I understand you believe its a 'big effort' to upgrade turbos, but once you've done intake, exhaust, injectors and ECU, turbos are the cheapest, easiest and most logical next step. Going beyond that however you're no longer talking about bolting stuff on, its reengineering time and very VERY big dollars. No a turbo makes no sense as a primary upgrade option, but with all the right supporting mods its actually very sensible and economical.

I have a feeling Brad may have changed turbos on his worked Legnum as I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be running stock turbos on 16/17psi...
You'd be wrong ;)

Another complicated way would be relocating the battery and what else out of the engine bay and go for a single turbo with an adjusting A/R ratio. These direct the exhaust gas to spin the turbine faster, then open up to flow more.
You're talking about variable vane turbines, and that my friend is very large dollar territory indeed. One of those is worth more than your whole car...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
I am happy to sit back and wait. The car has been designed to handle so much power, i would like to know how much power the trans will take?
Dose any one know if they come out stock forged ?

And also, I am sorry that i am not that good at spelling. I hope this is better for you.

One last thing, what do you want the power for?
If its for drag style stuff you would almost be better to spend the money on a stall kit and get a really good jump off the line.

mustang21

Crunching Gears
First Name
ray
Drive
97 Legnum
For starters its "Fuel"
Also, where did you come up with the pistons cracking at 10psi?
I think you are missing the point here, the reasons why people are looking at upgrading the turbos is because they will only flow enough for maybe 220-240awkw. By this stage you have already purchased a stand alone ecu, so people are across the fuel/ignition.....

Just with the cracking issues, i have seen a turbo car boosted to 16PSI. The car would run, but make no power. When the car was pulled apart i was lucky enuf to see my mechanic pull the pistons out and see the cracking.

He told me you can get smaller crack and just leak presser or the whole thing can crumble.

So im just going off what iv seen and been told. :(

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am happy to sit back and wait. The car has been designed to handle so much power, i would like to know how much power the trans will take?
Dose any one know if they come out stock forged ?

One last thing, what do you want the power for?
If its for drag style stuff you would almost be better to spend the money on a stall kit and get a really good jump off the line.

Why are you having a go at everyone for? People on here are more than smart enough to justify their decisions to aim for bigger power figures from their VR4's. If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, please do the rest of us who are keen to follow and support other members modding their rides a favour and not post any at all.
And you will be brought up to speed on the "trans" if you do a search and read through the hundreds of pages of information on this topic....

G

Unregistered
Anyone have the compressor flow charts for the stock turbos?

G

Unregistered
I think Brad's car is a freak either that or the kiwi dyno's are dodgy I would still like to see someone pull Brad's figures in Australia in a dyno shootout with other VR4's to compare, because i don't think the factory turbos will flow enough for such figures. That's my opinion anyway.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Remember I've got a very good ecu and aren't afraid to run a ton of boost. I'm also not running a cat

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i forget who it was,and what post i read it in,but one of the guys who just put a 6a13 in his fto,reckons hes cracked 260-270kw atw with a hell of a lot of tuning,but hes probably got all custom manifolds and basically all piping to get it to fit.he hasnt released the info on how or what hes done,

mods should make some threats or something and get him to tell...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Remember I've got a very good ecu and aren't afraid to run a ton of boost. I'm also not running a cat
I think your exhaust probably reduces backpressure by at least 10psi, maybe as much as 15psi without any cats. That translates into a shitload of extra power.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
i forget who it was,and what post i read it in,but one of the guys who just put a 6a13 in his fto,reckons hes cracked 260-270kw atw with a hell of a lot of tuning,but hes probably got all custom manifolds and basically all piping to get it to fit.he hasnt released the info on how or what hes done,

mods should make some threats or something and get him to tell...

Its all here :)

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3125&page=2

Not really a shedload of tuning, just the right parts in the proper proportions!

My exhaust is 2.5" madrel bent, no cat, high flow Herrod hot dog & muffler.

Rear turbo manifold is custom, purely only so the turbo would fit without fouling on the firewall (FTO engine bay is a tight fit.)

All the intercooler piping is handmade as you can see in the pics. Also using a fair sizer intercooler, with the intake manifold & piping straight off the turbo's being HPC coated.

We're using a full standalone Haltech Platinum 1000 Sports ECU too - which also enables me to piss off the MAF sensor from the intake piping.

Also used 2 vernier cam gears on the exhaust cams & a Bosch ignition setup as the standard coil packs weren't able to supply spark over 16 pound... was getting plug blow-out.

Its not 100% finished yet, but when it is, I'll pop up the dyno sheets :)

dsc00110m.jpg

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
so much work,but in the end the engine looks like it should be there.

cleanest 6a13

Top Bottom