Intercooler HARD Piping for QUEENSLANDERS

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
I had bradc ask Streetbiz this question on trademe.co.nz for me, and prices were:

$825 for Intercooler piping and 600x300 Intercooler + ~$275 postage
$660 for just Intercooler piping + ~$175 postage

Prices in NZ dollars.

I didn't think these prices were to bad, i'm just waiting to see what happens with ivans kit. If i can get one of those then i will otherwise i will be looking to order one of these kits.

Based on these prices it would probably be cheaper just to get the piping shipped over and pick up an intercooler locally.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fellas, I'd like to know your thoughts on the intake pipes.. if someone were to fabricate intake pipes.. from the maf to the turbo.. what size pipe diameter would you guys like to use?

for example.. from the MAF 2.5" then splits into 2" since the turbo's aren't that big..

G

Unregistered
why would you sacrifice quality for a few hundred dollars. you can pick up a trust vspl kit for $1100 odd and get a tube and fin fmic that fits and doesnt require any cutting as well as quality piping to replace the stock rubber hoses.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
why would you sacrifice quality for a few hundred dollars. you can pick up a trust vspl kit for $1100 odd and get a tube and fin fmic that fits and doesnt require any cutting as well as quality piping to replace the stock rubber hoses.

Im NOT talking about the kit that goes on AFTER the turbo.. Im talking about the pipes/hoses that goes on BEFORE the turbo.. and surely.. a metre of bent pipes wouldn't cost $1k.. that's just ridiculous..

btw.. Pete_D's correct..

still there's alot of flexible hoses in there.. I thought the main reason why most owner replace the oem hoses/pipes was to get rid of the soft part of it and increase power/efficiency?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Ok like I mentioned before and I know a few of you have seen what was done to my car...that worked out at close to $1300 BUT that did included turning the battery north to south, metal intake, new filter, all metal replacement of soft hoses, front mount intercooler.....believe me guys I am sure you can get a better quality, better performing custom job done than just buying something from the net and getting a crap kit that you still have a lot of work to do to get it right!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'm going to talk to Gerry from Predator Motorsport on Saturday re a custom setup. I'll let you know his thoughts and any costs.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
OK Kev and I spoke to the guys at Predator Motorsport earlier today. The guy we spoke to was helpful and interested in the standard setup. He also had a good look at how Kev's car was done. He showed us around the workshop at some of the cars and the custom fabrications they had done on site. I must say the work is absolutely brilliant the tig welding is like an artwork. Beautiful. Very impressive. Show car quality work. If anyone decides to get a kit done by them I'm sure you'll be very happy.
The price I was quoted was $2.5k drive and drive away. That's keeping the standard air box setup but replacing the filter with a K&N. They'd require the car for at least 3 days.
I also took time to see Robin form PerFOURmanace, his approach was a little different but his quote came in around $2k, as he hadn't done a VR4 before.
So there you have it. Both workshops are well known for there quality work and either would be a great place to get your intercooler kit installed.

Am I getting mine done at either place. Currently NO as my budget doesn't spread that far.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
$2-2.5K!! Sheesh. Looks like Kev's piping for $1200 was a bargain!

I'd definitely hold off getting anything custom made as our local VR-4 parts shop Naughtika Motorsports may be able to make hard pipe components soon :)

PM him if you're in QLD and interested.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
for some reason that 'naughtika motorsports' just made me giggle..

i guess from here on.. word's out..

yes Lee's correct, I will be fabricating hard pipes for our car..

main aim is to keep the factory setup (before and after turbo pipes) to maintain turbo spool time if not make it better,

remove the restrictive factory hoses (looking at the hoses after MAF sensor to the turbos - will most likely keep it to 2" to 2.5") and replace it with an efficient design

replace the heavy steel pipes with aluminum, as well as the oem hoses while keeping the factory shape to enable owners to retain their factory airbox since it already is a good setup..

at the moment, I'm in the process of looking & Buying some hardwares.. Pipe Benders, Mig/Tig 250amp+ Welder and Crox Tools (that can lip 2" to 4" pipe diameters)

I'm also doing some 'window shopping' for some aluminum pipes to see if who can supply them at low cost but still keep it in top quality.. and probably some quality 110 degree mandrel bends as I see this to be the hard part with pipe bending..

also a note to everyone..

THIS KIT WILL BE MADE IN AUSTRALIA AND WILL BE TEST FITTED IN AUSTRALIA TO ENSURE FITMENT

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
sounds great

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Sound's Good Christian, Let's see how you go big guy, I will be waiting to book into NaughtikaMotosports for my Intercooler/Pipe set up. GoodLuck bro, Im sure you will produce the result's.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Hey at Naughtika Motorsports can you do doors as well.....ha ha ha

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Thread Mine!!! LOL

So, what is happening with this project?????

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
not alot...

its a pretty old thread.

if your chasing a kit pm me your email I have a piping kit complete replacement ex y pipe

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
hey fellas i just fitted my cooler 600x300x76 had to cut the bar reo and i was suprised how stright forwared it was the cooler had 2.5 inch outlets so it was just a matter of mounting the cooler. this was pritty stright forward just made some brackets out of some stright alloy and bent and drilled holes to suite. not sure if im going to bother replacing the factory hosing no too sure if its going to make alot of differance? im runnig 10psi . seems to come on boost a little earlyer and iv also put a full tank of fuel in to see if my fuel consumpsion has changed. also do i need to reset my ecu so the car can adapted?

Top Bottom