VIC Introducing.... me.

m3lm3l

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel (and my fiance Ben will pop in from time to time)
Drive
'96 Legnum
'05 Subaru Impreza RS Wagon (previous)
'93Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T
'03 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (for sale)
'06 Toyota Landruiser Sahara
Datsun 120Y (track only)
Hi All,

Thought i'd stop in and say hello.
I guess i should introduce myself and give a little back story
I'm a 32 year old that loves cars. I'm a student photographer and i work in the public service (for now, until the budget comes into effect :confused: )

Past cars:
'89 Nissan Pintara Sedan
'96 Honda Civic Coupe
'89 Nissan Silvia S13 (SR20 DET) -was my ex's but i drove it more than he did ;)
'06 Subaru Impreza GX Wagon
'04 Ford Falcon XR6 turbo

I am currently running an '05 Subaru Impreza RS Wagon - and my fiance runs an 03 XR6t (300rwkw) and an R33 Skyline (250rwkw).

As you can see, i'm surrounded by horsepower and I've modded the Impreza enough to where i'm at the point now where i either need to throw big money at it to go how i want it to, or I can let it go and start again on something that is a better starting point and has much more potential.

Which brings me here - I had never considered a Legnum, I'd never seen one in real life and thought i didn't like the look. - until darling fiance lined me up a test drive in one. I have to say I was surprised and impressed!

So now I'm here, researching. I have to admit i know very little about Mitsubishi's in general, as i said I've never considered one (of any model) .

I'm not 100% on what I'm going to get but hopefully this week my car will sell and I'll know what my budget is - what i do know is that I'm not going to compromise on what i want and I'm going to take my time and figure out the best option is for the money I will have.

Any hints or tips you want to throw I'll certainly take on board, but for the most part I'll be 'lurking' around the forum looking at past posts and seeing what has been/what can be done.

Cheers,

Mel.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Welcome me. To be totally honest a vr4 is not a car u can easily extract power from. We have a limit of about 200kwatw before turbos just can't push anymore. So it's anothe car that requires a substantial investment to get past that point. Definitely don't want to put u off but letting u know it won't be as easy as the wrx or xr6. We just don't have the bolts ins like other cars. I personally am doin my best to fill the hole and am currently in the process of developing a bolt in twin tdo4 kit. But some time off yet. Welcome.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla

m3lm3l

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Drive
'96 Legnum
Datsun 120Y (track only)
All good thanks trotty - my suba is N/A so just some turbo will be better than none at all hehe. I'm also lucky enough to have a great engineer to do my pipework etc so on top of whatever i get in the short term i'll just be looking at intake and exhaust - the best two mods on any car in my opinion.

Not looking to make a world beater (yet haha) just a bit more go and the space for my camera gear and something that handles.

looking at different models and my musts are manual and recaro interior - I seem to be pushing it for that though.

Thanks for the links Volk - i shall check them out.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
When yr ready to buy consider importing one through a well reputed imported ie iron chef imports. Tell him yr criteria, eg manual+recaros, and let him do the rest. Quite a few members have imported through him and are very happy.

There is a member in SA currently selling his legnum and it's manual and has recaros. You should find it in the sales section. Jump on it quick and it shouldn't last long.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
welcome Ben and Mel :)

hope you guys find the right car :)

since you're into car, im pretty sure that you'll pick the right one when it pops up :)

goodluck and happy reading/researching, and if you have questions, feel free to ask :)

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Also, highly reccomended that the previous owner has had to suffer the 100k service.

m3lm3l

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Drive
'96 Legnum
Datsun 120Y (track only)
Thanks guys :) my current car is sold pending rwc so should have the money by the weekend. Unfortunately it's no where near enough to import and not sure if it's enough for a 'good' one yet as I don't know enough. Much research to do in a short amount of time! Shall be checking the for sales on here first and stalking the sellers posts' haha.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Agree with all the above, but also consider that the 2.5 litre will have considerably more torque than the 2.0 of the same power.
190-200 is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus I am hoping to have my hi flows fitted and tuned in the coming weeks

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
People all too often forget the more important number, torque! How much and when tells a better story.

m3lm3l

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Drive
'96 Legnum
Datsun 120Y (track only)
Ohhh yeah I completely get it - people often underestimate my RS impreza - being a modified 2.5 AWD the torque is fantastic :D

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Welcome Mel!

As has already been posted, our top end before big money is about 200kw. But given the torque that the 6cly puts out this is still loads more fun than you can legally have on the streets. The other benefit is the really smoooth drive these car have due to 2 smaller turbos... very little turbo lag, as a daily they are really really nice to drive.

As for importing, good condition ones are becoming very hard to find and you will still be looking around $12,000. Manual and recaro are about as rare as hens teeth now. I imported mine 4-5years ago?? and it took me 12 months to find it in Japan even then.

Buy mine. I dropped the price to 12k. It has nearly all the basic mods done for you already + manual + Recaro for about the same price as importing a stock one! Coil on plug, intercooler hard pipes and dumps (all available on this forum) are about all that's left to do.

Pete

m3lm3l

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Drive
'96 Legnum
Datsun 120Y (track only)
I know Pete and yours is gorgeous but I just don't have the coin :(

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Throw me an offer... you never know :) Our new kitchen is relying on the sale, so I'm feeling the pressure from the wife!

Top Bottom