WA Introduction...BMGTZ

bmgtz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brian
Drive
GTA...and earliy GSr/ evo lancers
Hi All,

I have recently become the owner of a GTA lancer. I bought it with a dead motor and a lots of plans in mind. I sourced a 2nd hand evo 6 engine and that runs well. At the same time I fitted that I installed a used "low kms" (yeah right) transmission. Engine sounded great at start up....unfortunately the trans didn't! so out it all came and off to the wrecker who offered a straight swap over for another one. a little wiser I checked that one before leaving....it had a piece of wave spring on the magnetic plug. so Im waiting for one to come from japan.

I hear you ask...why not install the original trans? well I found I what looked like a filler plug...isn't a filler plug at all and is in fact the anchor bolt for the reverse brake band. I now have the largest collection of broken GTA gearboxes in WA. Im eventually going to send one away for some good upgrades. In the mean time Im practicing pulling then apart and "trying to get them" back together.

just cant get the last bit with all the clutches in it{reverse clutch drum} to go in.....

any way thanks for the ADD as Ive been looking at a lot of threads here for info

cheers BMGTZ

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
greetings guy

why not go manual if going through all this effort?

whats an auto cost?

bmgtz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brian
Drive
greetings guy

why not go manual if going through all this effort?

whats an auto cost?

The car was bought for the wife... We had an evo eight and she didn't like the clutch in traffic. So I grabbed the auto. These boxes run from 1300 to 2400 depending on where you go. I paid 1300 for the first one and they are yet to give me one that actually is in working condition v

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hi Brian, welcome aboard.

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.13e

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info

Posting new threads is restricted by default. For full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
- Upgrading your account

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
VR4 transmissions are the same internally as a GT-A i think.
You may be able to make a VR4 one work in the Evo with minor modification to the bellhousing. (People have made evo bellhousings fit the V6 so the same should work in reverse)

Because VR4 autos are only worth scrap value. I've binned like 3 or 4 over the years because no-one even wants to pay scrap money for one.

bmgtz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brian
Drive
From my research... The final drive ratio is different.

I getting better at pulling them to pieces now. I have nice little pile of crap

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Welcome, mate. Maybe @PHIL069 can give you some advice with regards to rebuilding an auto trans?

bmgtz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brian
Drive
Thanks Gman, Im just practicing on a stuffed trans at present to find the techniques needed to get the last bit in....Ive had some advice from another member here about making a little tool up and will give that a try. Once Im confident I can get it all back in without damage I will tackle a good one to do the wave spring and weld the bits that need it on that side. I will also be sending one over to sydney for a complete rebuild and upgrade to kevlar plates..and some other secrets he has.

rockabilly

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Aldo
Drive
Trek & GTA
Hi Brian,
Yes your Gta auto build is in progress
Same spec as mine. Kevlar etc
Aldo

AKKO