Jace@hpi aka Jason // Sydney - NSW

G

Unregistered
Hey guys, my name's Jason Round, and by chance I'm also the editor of High Peformance Imports Magazine.

I've just picked up a '99 facelift Galant VR4, which will also serve as a project car in the mag as of issue 96. In fact, in the one week I've had it it's already been treated to a new intercooler set-up, interceptor-style computer and tuning, boost controller and has been measured up for new suspension. We're looking at the exhaust this week and then it's onwards from there.

I'm hoping to contribute to the boards and just generally get involved where I can. From the companies I've been in discussion with, a lot of development on this car should also be able to roll over for some great group buys and products out there for everyone, so I'll keep you posted.

Obviously, I can't give too much away, as most editorial will be running in the mag, but if you'd like to contribute or think you've got a product you'd like featured, PM me or email me at jason@hpi.com.au and we can go from there.

Like practically everyone else, I'm also on the hunt for the optioned Recaros, Momo steering wheel and, as I have MMCS, a way to dial in Oz TV, which I believe somebody was about to post a guide on.

Anyhow, good to meet you all.

gallery_26332_2604_100489.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Glad to see a vendor getting in on it :) We just need turbo kits for these cars :D

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Welcome to the forums Jason... got to love undiscovered territory with the new cars and setups. I'll tell you what, it's been fun to be involved with these cars from close to the beginning (have owned my Super VR-4 for nine months now and let's not forget waiting for these to arrive).

As a project car you've selected, I'm sure readership will be boosted (no pun intended) from a few members in here.

Cheers!

G

Unregistered
Welcome aboard.

Look forward to reading about the build up.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Welcome along Jason, good to see someone go to work on these cars with a serious budget (by the looks of the mods you've done in your first week!).

Do you have a dyno graph after the ECU tuning?

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Hey hows it goin?

damn that black galant looks awesome

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Hey Jason welcome along to the forum. Great news, your going to give our well kept secret weapon a bit of exposure. I might be able to get out and about without people asking "what in the hell is a Legnum".

G

Unregistered
We have done all the tuning so far on a Dynapack hub dyno. Basically, everything benefitted from both the intercooler, computer and slight boost increase. Down the low end there was a substantual gain in torque, and power rose as much as 40kW in some RPM ranges. As you can imagine, I was most pleased after being somewhat skeptical at first. I have to keep exact figures for the mag, but the initial dyno run (less mods etc) was around 150kW ATW (or hubs), which was kind of expected with the factory figures pegged at 206kW at the fly.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Welcome!

It's great to see HPI jumping in on the VR4's :D I have issue 52 here somewhere with the personal import one being reviewed.

I can't wait to see what goodies you guys can organise for us :D

You should bring the 99 VR4 out to our Sydney meet next weekend!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
So Paul, is that the one that was scanned or is this something else we haven't seen?

Nice results you're getting there Jason :)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Welcome jason

i look foward to seeing this in the mag, should be something a bit different. And looks like you've got a nice example there...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
So Paul, is that the one that was scanned or is this something else we haven't seen?

Nice results you're getting there Jason :)

Yeah it's the one that I found whilst trawling the net aaaggeeess ago.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Welcome Jason, I'm looking forward to reading your article to see exactly what results you managed to muster from your gorgeous black Galant.

I guess we should be expecting some extra people turngin up on here once your mag hits the shops? Feel free to list up the site hint hint :p

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
Thats a fine looking Galant, and by the sounds of it you've got a decent amount of power out of her already. A guide for ways to get TV on the MMCS screen is here. This is for if you don't have the factory TV tuner but would still like to use the MMCS screen to watch TV, DVD,etc. Given your budget and not knowing how good or keen you are to make you own circuits i would think option 1 would be you best bet.

If you do have the factory TV tuner then it is very simple and only requires a digital set top box (or analog tuner if you don't want digital), and a couple of cables. I've got digital TV on mine so if you want info on this send me a PM.

G

Unregistered
you never mentioned if it was auto or manual...
judging by it being a facelift type-s galant, i'm guessing auto. :)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Great work Jason!! We want your job of getting sweet car and doing it up for the sake of entertaining readers!:p
Seriously IMO these cars need more exposure; as I'm still the only one in NT that has an 8G galant! Sounds like you've done more to your car in 1 week than we've been able to do in months. Keep up the great work.

Josh:)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Hey welcome to the club Jase, great to see HPI onto the VR-4's.
Mint looking black facelift you've got there. Post up more pictures for us.

Has HPI done a road test/feature on the 8G VR-4 Galant/Legnum yet? If you have, please let me know which issue.

P.S Gonna keep an eye out for issue 96

G

Unregistered
so this galant should be in the next issue because its currently at issue 95? Looking forward to it

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi Jason,
As a current S13, Skyline & Legnum owner, I'm sure you'll be impressed with the user friendliness of the VR4. She's a great car out of the box but with the mods you've done and obviously living with, as the mag lags the real world by some amount- would be just a blast.

I'll be interested to hear what you think it's like compared to the "normal" fair of imports.

Top Bottom