KINFOREST tyres...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on Kinforest tyres. I'm strongly thinking of buying a set.

Thanks
Josh:)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Nope - sounds like yet another cheap chinese tyre.. any more specs such as treadwear, dry grip and wet grip ratings? (eg. 240,AA,A), speed ratings etc?

I'd personally stick to proven brands, and if you want cheaper head for Federal or Kumho

Edit:

quick search came up with this
http://gzkinforest.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008827744320/Homepage.htm

VERY young company probably with little to none R&D - i'd avoid like the plague personally.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Yeah I'm thinking the same but just looking at the DOT ratings (unsure how trust worthy) Tread wear is 320, Traction A & Temp A. So good ratings and apparently drifters use them a lot seeing they are so cheap. Hmm; cheap vs the unknown.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Depends what you're using them for. If it is just on a daily that you're not taking to the limit they should be fine. I'm running $110 Circling tyres on my VR4 and haven't had a problem.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I believe that a few members have crashed their VR4's due to shitty tyres, and in the wet the compliance Nexens on my VR4 are not confidence inspiring at all and very easily lose grip...even under moderate braking in the wet (which is why i'm getting new tyres). Even if your car is just a daily you drive sensibly I still believe good tyres are a must. What happens if you need to dodge a roo on the road in the wet and tyres starts sliding? Or if you need to emergency brake to dodge a kid who ran onto the road? DO NOT BUY SHIT TYRES, even if you don't have an accident, you will regret not saving up for a few weeks for tyres you can trust.
My 2c anyways...

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea you don't notice how good, good tyres are until you don't use them, i'm running bridgestone adrenalines on my car and jaygore's car had compliance tyres, triangles i think, before i sold it to him i was driving around and i wasn't pushing hard at all but i noticed a huge difference in grip, control and cornering just because of the tyres, his car has pretty hard suspension in it so bodyroll wasn't an issue, and these cars handle better than others. proved to me how good tyres make the car

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
yea totally agreed those trianlge tyres are terrible, you can feel the car sliding out all the time, new tyres is a must for me very very soon

G

Unregistered
Yea you don't notice how good, good tyres are until you don't use them, i'm running bridgestone adrenalines on my car and jaygore's car had compliance tyres, triangles i think, before i sold it to him i was driving around and i wasn't pushing hard at all but i noticed a huge difference in grip, control and cornering just because of the tyres, his car has pretty hard suspension in it so bodyroll wasn't an issue, and these cars handle better than others. proved to me how good tyres make the car

I completely agree. I'm using Bridgestone RE-01R's (not the RE001 Adrenalins) and didn't realise how good they were until I mucked around in an Evo VI with Pirelli Dragons. The Evo has much sharper steering, but I have so much more confidence with the grip of my car.

Do yourself a favour and save a bit more and get stickier rubber, will help at the strip too :D. It's not encouraged to follow what the 'drifters' are doing, head over to EvoOZ and have a read of a few of the tyre threads, as the majority of them know what's they're doing.

Also, be careful with the DOT Ratings on the tyres too, afaik it's the manufactures they put them on the tyre, not an independent organisation. Tyres such as Dunlop DZ101 (300 A A), Kuhmo Ecsta SPT (320 AA A) and Yokohama S.Drive (320 AA A) have similar Treadwear ratings, but I know where I would spend my money.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I've had my car slide on my once, at low speed in a torrential downpour. It was very easily recovered. A mate of mine ran Circlings on the rear of his 180 at a track day and was very surprised by the grip they gave. While they weren't outstanding, they were acceptable.

I've also had people tell me that Nankang NS-2s (the tyres on my Silvia) are among the best tyres they've had, beating much more expensive name brand tyres. I ran NS-2s on my Celsior and the thing stuck to the road about 100 times better than a big 1650kg tank had a right to.

Brand names aren't the be all and end all.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I have toyo proxes 4 on mine now which have replaced the dunlop direzza's it had on when it arrived.

I have given them as nasty treatment as I did the dunlops through the RNP and can't say I found the grip to be noticeably worse.

The cost me $940 for the set which I think puts them into the cheaper tyre bracket.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The RE-01R's are virtually Semi Slick tyres Stephen. They should be very very good in the dry. How good are they in the wet?

G

Unregistered
They are very controllable in the wet. Of course if your being stupid you'll slip, no doubt about it.

The great thing about these tyres is they have amazing feel, go around a sweeping corner or large round-about and it grips and grips, you push the peddle in a little further and you can just start to feel them give. Other tyres I've tried you couldn't do this in the wet, I was either too nervous and didn't go near the limit or understeered like crazy, but the RE-01R gives me much more confidence.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sounds good. I am used to GSD3's and S03's, the GSD3's are amazing in the wet but only average in the dry. The S03's that I had were freaking scary in the wet, I had severe oversteer a few times in 2nd and 3rd gear!

Frosty

Crunching Gears
First Name
Gary
Drive
Currant
M35 Stag. Soon to be White Legnum
Previous
Bayside Blue Pros Galant
White Legnum
Does anyone have any details about Sumitomo HTR Z III Tyres? Looking to replace the Nankangs that came with my car and was recommended the above.

http://www.sumitomotire.com/theline/product.asp?c=per&id=42

We sell these at work.
They're a pretty good tyre. Seem to wear fairly well and are good in the wet. Little bit noisey due to the bigger blocks, but nothing a good exhaust note couldn't drown out.
Would be a big step up from the Nankangs. But that wouldn't be to hard.:p

Top Bottom