Legnum GDI conversion to 6A13TT

oienator

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Trent
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum
Hey everyone i was just wandering i have a legnum gdi and i have just bought an 6A13TT with 4WD Trans. I was curious i know i need a new ecu but do i need to change the loom? Also should this engine just bolt straight in it was previously out of a legnum. Will I have to do anything to the transmission I have a tiptronic at the moment?

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Well from what i know the difference between the GDI and the VR4's are quite a lot, for a start is your GDI 4wd? or front wheel
The transmission in a GDI is a four speed and the VR4's are 5speed
ECU may need a new loom, not 100% sure but i'm thinking as the VR4's have a heap of other systems in them over the GDI's such as AYC, Traction control ect your going to have wires not going anywhere and throwing error codes out becuase they can't be found,

I did hear once years ago that the the legnums are basicly the same through out the models and they just threw a better engine in but now after i have owned both i highly doubt that because the VR4's have a lot more to them and my opinion is that you could pick up a cheap one there in NZ and it would save on so may hassels

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
sell the lot, buy a VR-4. It's just easier!

I'm not making that comment to try and be smart or anything, but there are so many things you need to worry about that the conversion is just not worth it. There are VR-4's on TM for $5000 all the time, just get one of those

oienator

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Trent
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum
i was thinking of buying one but i want the satisfaction of getting to the end and saying that i did it i work at a pre apprentice course for automotive engineering im sure it wont be much of a problem to do with like 10 of us doing the one job but i just wanted to know what i would need to get

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hahaha talk about making work for yourself!

Trent I'd say find yourself a complete harness and ECU for a non-AYC VR4, otherwise you might need to upgrade your rear diff too! (which wouldn't be a bad thing)

G

Unregistered
when u bought the engine, trans, and AWD, shouldn't u be getting all the necessary wiring? If so, it will be a straight swap then IF the engine mounting from GDI and 6a13tt is the same. If not u'll need to work on the mouting.....

I did an engine swap 6a13 to 6a13tt all the engine mounting spot is the same only need a spacer to make the engine is on the right elevation to the transmission...

G

Unregistered
if you want satisfaction, dont build a something you can buy off the shelf....
its just not worth the hassel...

dont forget it has to be cert'd to,

you'll need

motor,
gearbox/transfer case/diff,
complete loom, (engine and cabin)
hish vis dash (if you get the loom from a high vis'd dash vr4)
ecu,
brakes (the GDI ones are smaller) and bia's valve will be have to changed to the vr4 one,
suspension (the GDI has softer suspension)
strut brace, possibly sway bars

alot of time and effort for no real gain...
just buy one, and mod it

OR..

put a 4g63T in it.... it will be different. and it has been done in Japan/USA

G

Unregistered
if you want satisfaction, dont build a something you can buy off the shelf....
its just not worth the hassel...

dont forget it has to be cert'd to,

you'll need

motor,
gearbox/transfer case/diff,
complete loom, (engine and cabin)
hish vis dash (if you get the loom from a high vis'd dash vr4)
ecu,
brakes (the GDI ones are smaller) and bia's valve will be have to changed to the vr4 one,
suspension (the GDI has softer suspension)
strut brace, possibly sway bars

alot of time and effort for no real gain...
just buy one, and mod it

OR..

put a 4g63T in it.... it will be different. and it has been done in Japan/USA

AGREED..... =)

oienator

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Trent
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum
Haha wheres your can do attitude guys i know its going to be hard work but i enjoy that i like putting effort into a car i dont mind if its not a great leap but its just something i enjoy. thanx for all your opinions but i think i have it sorted im a pre apprentice at a garage so i have 5 a grade mechanics helping me out so i think we will do fine cheers

G

Unregistered
Let us know how it goes I would be interested in the results ie. the 1/4 mile and 100km for sure with all the power at 2 wheels rather then 4 it should be interesting if the lack of grip impedes the times.

I am more into the different and challenging as well. So go for it and ENJOY!!!

Top Bottom