Louder exhaust note while retaining factory Ralliart muffler?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Evening boys,
I'm chasing a louder exhaust note while keeping the factory Ralliart muffler. What would be the first steps to increase the sound without having to go a full cat back or altering (possibly losing) any performance? I'm trying to keep as much of the OEM parts as I can and i'm not really into having a huge, shiny cannon sticking out the back (on an angle). I like the way the factory ralliart muffler looks and sounds, but would love to have it a bit louder.

Perhaps a high flow cat?

p1-2.jpg

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*ahem* for us Aussies, it's a high-flow Cat (not one hollowed out with a screwdriver!) and downpipes :)

G

Unregistered
Get a cat-back exhaust and cut the ralliart tip off the end and weld it on. U don't have to have a cannon to make noise. There is no point altering the exhaust and leaving the small stock muffler on there.
I have the same tip on my exhaust and it looks mint.
Why do u want noise anyway ? it can get anoying if u end up with a drone ...
drill a hole in the exhaust if u want noise and don't want to buy a new exhaust.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Get rid of the resonator.

I have a Fujitsubo 3 inch cat back on mine with 2 or 3 resonators (I forget, been a while since I was under it) and it is nearly silent. So they do make a big difference.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks for your replies people :)

I got a quote on high flow cats. What do you fellas think? Reasonable? Or rip?

2.5'' ceramic hiflow=$190
2.5'' metal cat=$250
3'' ceramic hi flow=$210
3'' metal hiflow= $280

+$100 fitting

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
Be careful yours is a legnum and as such will be prone to all sorts of sounds due to exhaust tampering. eg droning.

G

Unregistered
You will get reamed by the EPA if you remove your cat.

Yeah by a 25k fine:ROFLMAO:

Or you could have the factory muffler box opened and the pipes taken out and replaced by larger ones or even cut the length of the internal pipes but it could be expensive ie 150-170 so for a few more dollars you could get the 3'' metal cat.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks Dale, Tom and Lee. Yeah that's why i want to take precautions before altering the exhaust, i don't want it to drone.
I'm going to settle for the 3" metal hiflow. Hopefully this will boost the sound a bit, without making it too loud or cause a "rattle" in the muffler when i take off :(

G

Unregistered
whilst its not sticking to the ralliart muffler, i went from a ralliart muffler to a fujitsubo legalis evolution r 3" catback (or something equally as long)

it looks very similar, not much quieter driving around, doesnt drone, has a nice rumble higher in the rev range, and gives a nice power increase down low. :)

Top Bottom