Make the Galant Lighter...

G

Unregistered
How can you make the Galant lighter without losing all the creature comforts like seats and what not... or is that the only way?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Creature comforts and light-weight are mutually exclusive in this case.

Because of the inherent AWD setup (and all the driveshafts, diffs, etc that go with it), it will always be a heavier car.

-Helium in the tyres.... ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!!! :D
-Helium in the boot
-Helium in the interior (limited driving time though before asphyxiation).
-Go on a fat camp.
-If you are driving the tiptronic... amputate the left leg.

-Removal of spare tyre... minimal since we have those "space savers".
-Removal of sound deadening (tyre/egine roar, here we come)
-Removal of seats (surprisingly, the rear sear base is quite light-weight)/replacement with lighter items.
-Replacing glass with Lexan. How much cash do you have?
-Carbon fibre panels. (well, doors and front quarter/bonnet/bar).
-Replace 60L fuel tank with a baffled 10L unit for racing.
-Titanium exhaust system (over mild steel).
-Pick your favourite lightweight rim and hope to God it doesn't get destroyed on Aussie roads.
-Replace battery with smaller dry/gel-based unit.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
how long is a piece of string? :D

Well, definitely not Bathurst (unless you're entering a Prius).

G

Unregistered
lol i weigh 50kg so don't need to go to fat camp rofl.. how much does hilum cost per sq inch??

how much weight would the -Titanium exhaust system save you?

-Carbon fibre panels. (well, doors and front quarter/bonnet/bar). way too much could do the inner door linners maybe depends on how much lol... just cause it would look pretty snazzy

Removal of sound deadening (tyre/egine roar, here we come) i like engin sounds but not tyre lol.

how much would the suggested list take off?? wouldn't mind getting it down to the 1400 in a manual.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Haha Helium... Dude?

Unless you gut it like race spec, your best bet is to get the handling sorted and get your skills up..

G

Unregistered
It really depends on what your doing it for. If it's to go quicker around a track, then what Scott said is true, better spending money on yourself

It sounds like your contradicting yourself, you want to save weight but not willing to remove the sound deadening and live with the extra road noise. Unfortunately there is no way around it.

And if the Carbon Fibre panels are too much, forget about the titanium exhaust then, big dollars there.

Pretty much what people have said above, lighter wheels, body panels, then start removing stuff from inside the car. If your not happy with that, then buy a lighter car.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Pretty much already been said.

Although, if you wanted to make it REALLY light, make moulds of the body panels (whole body), remake in CF and redesign the car around a CF space-frame. Then have every engine component copied in aluminium, get carbon composite brake discs, lightweight rims and use titanium for as much as possible (anything that won't cause it to shatter, as it's brittle). That way you'll have a perfect, fully-functional light-weight car without sacrificing comfort. The problem is, it will cost you half a million dollars.

Think of it like this - the Immutable Triangle of Choice. At one vertex you have comfortable, at another vertex you have light-weight and at the third vertex you have low-cost. Now you can have a low-cost, comfortable car, but it won't be light. You can have a low-cost, light-weight car, but it won't be comfortable. Or you can have a light-weight, comfortable car, but it won't be cheap. These are facts you cannot alter, so make your choice :)

G

Unregistered
If you're looking at racing isn't filling your tyres with nitrogen the best alternative? It holds a more consistant pressure and should save you maybe a few grams.

Empty the ashtray of any coins :)

Oh, and add a sticker. That's 50HP right there!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got a smaller battery, no spare wheel and lighter wheels. I also have a full replacement exhaust which will be a lot lighter than the stock setup. I put the battery in the boot as well to help even out the weight balance and I will also remove the washer bottle soon and put the oil cooler and remote filters on the passenger side as while I haven't had the car corned weighed, I'm sure the drivers side with me + ayc pump + engine will be heavier than the passenger side. I've also got Evo TME Recaro's which may or may not be lighter than the stock seats :)

Brembo calipers are quite a bit lighter than stock, but then the larger discs more than offset that. Well worth it though!

Ohh and Trev - lolz!

G

Unregistered
I would agree with Scott you could have the lightest car and have no skills and all the money would go to waste but if you learn how to drive what you have to the best of its ability you would be quicker then most other boguns out there.

G

Unregistered
add a bit of white to the paint, that will make it "lighter" whilst still keeping all your creature comforts.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Boom-boom - ching!!

:banghead:
Man you can stick that triangle to nearly everything :)
Yep you certainly can. I use it regularly when discussing IT systems with clients, often using reliability, performance and price, but there are endless variations ;)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Yep you certainly can. I use it regularly when discussing IT systems with clients, often using reliability, performance and price, but there are endless variations ;)

"Pick two: cheap, fast, right"

although often it really boils down to "pick ONE"...

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
My post was half serious, half taking the piss.

Nitrogen's a bit of a crock, considering that it makes up 78% by volume of the air we breathe for day to day applications. Sure, it may shave off a hundredth of a second in lap time, but so does driving skill and practice. :)

G

Unregistered
I don't know if Nitrogren is promoted as making your car lighter or faster, just more predictable as temperatures start to vary :) For the regular driver I doubt you'd ever notice the difference, just a way of tyre places making money out of Mr and Mrs Citizen.

The Fire Triangle - Fuel, Oxygen and Ignition (or heat). Remove one and the triangle fails (the fire stops) ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Nitrogen's used in aircraft tyres as air would expand too much with the temps they are exposed to. In a racing application it MIGHT be necessary. On a street car you're absolutely wasting your time.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
But if your car is airborne Dukes of Hazard stylez? Technically, when at the trajectory's fulcrum, you are weightless if but for a moment.

Otherwise, what he said :D

Top Bottom