MickeyB aka Micah // QLD

mickeyb

Crunching Gears
First Name
Micah
Drive
Stagea Legnum Chaser
Hi All,

Well, I just purchased a '96 Legnum VR4... I have only ever seen one in the flesh, and that was years ago, so it will be exciting times!

A bit of backgroung: SAU members will know me as rb26stagea (guess what I drive!), and JZX100.com will know me as mickeyb already.

The Stagea is a monster (500+hp), but is a bit of a pig for daily driving: too stiff, very peaky and the fuel consumption..... don't even ask!

So, I needed a new daily driver (so I can really go to town on the stag), and I found a Legnum at the right price. It is bone stock, purple, and auto. I am really looking forward to it, but from what I've read on this forum, there may be a significant wait involved with compliance... but you get that.

Having read through a few threads, I have to say that this is a fantastic resource for Legnum/Galant related info: you guys should be proud!

Whilst waiting for my car to get on the road, I'm going to float around, and probably ask a bunch of inane questions about the car, as I want to know as much as possible about it when it arrives: bear with me...

Cheers guys: I'm looking forward to this!

Micah

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Welcome! A few of us are meeting up on Wed if you want to bring the Stagea along and say hello you're more than welcome!

Check out the east cost section.

cheers

Lee

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Welcome to the team Micah! You've picked a doozie of a daily and I hope your car hits the road in a quick and timely manor.

Post up some picks of the Stag, we all like to check out the competition :p

mickeyb

Crunching Gears
First Name
Micah
Drive
Stagea Legnum Chaser
cool, what turbos are you running on the stag?

It runs:

R33 RB26, Tomei cams, Power FC, R33 N1 turbos, HKS dump pipes, custom fuel system (sard inj & pump), baffled sump, R33GTR rear brakes, Porsche GT3 Front brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree....

Wednesday should be good: I would love to ridr shotgun in one to see what they're like!

Attachments

• 100_0193.JPG
    100_0193.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0191.jpg
    100_0191.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0192.jpg
    100_0192.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0194.jpg
    100_0194.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 44
G

Unregistered
you only need to post up one pic micah...
the insanely large porsche GT3 callipers that fill up the 19" R34 GTR rims. :p

:drool:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the forums Micah :) That's one fantastic looking (and sounding) hearse you've got there - in a perfect world I'd love to see it go head-to-head with Brad's Legnum!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As your turbos ran out of steam... There's a few hundred kgs in weight difference, isn't there?

Hmm how do you think a TD05 staged with a stock turbo would go, or instead of the best of both worlds would you end up with nothing good?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
nothing good....the TD05 is only capable of 250kw ATW max.

The stock TD03's spool up BLOODY quick anyway, especially with downpipes, no cat and an exhaust system.

If you wanted to run sequential, you'd keep the TD03's and go with a big GT30R or something as the high end turbo mounted above the gearbox.

G

Unregistered
sequential isn't worth the effort.
just do a big single and be done with it!

micah - is that a stock internal engine, or built?
also whats the lag like on the N1's? i know the 34 N1's are pretty laggy, but not sure on 33 items.
would be interesting to see a dyno graphed compared to brads (unique1 off the SAU forums, not bradc on here) as i've been in his 600awhp RB27, but that has a T04Z on it rather than twins.

mickeyb

Crunching Gears
First Name
Micah
Drive
Stagea Legnum Chaser
Engine is internally standard, aside from the cams: it does run tomei gaskets to (very slightly) lower the compression, but that's why it's 'only' 300awkw: tune is very conservative so as to not lunch the engine...

The N1's are ok - decent boost by 2800, full boost around 4500rpm, which isn't helped by the cams: driveable, but a real pain in stop/start traffic, hence the need for another daily driver...

I have the dyno graph from when initail tuning was done: I'll scan it and post it in the near future...

As for weight, I'm not sure what a Legnum weighs, but I threw mine on a weighbridge as-is with a full tank of fuel, and it came in at 1700kg neat...

Ideally, I'd like a Nismo block, 2.8l stroker crank and internals, a pair of HKS 2840s with manifolds, and a 'real' ecu: the Power FC is good for mild tune, but the lack of full 3d tuning is quite a letdown. Motec or Autronic would do quite nicely... :)

We'll see: don't know if I can justify the expense just yet, but it sure is tempting!

I will bring it to the meet on Wednesday, so those locals who are interested can see how the other side does things! :)

For the record, R34 GTR rims are only 18", sadly... However:

Attachments

• camera 1 044.jpg
    camera 1 044.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 34

mickeyb

Crunching Gears
First Name
Micah
Drive
Stagea Legnum Chaser
wuhoo! unconfirmed, but looking good: car should be on a boat on 10th March!

G

Unregistered
good to hear micah!
now all you need to do is drive it, then you wont want to drive the stag again :p

seriously however, its a very different car to the stag in some way, i've been driving kylies for the past week, and the stag feels 'taller', the AYC feels more responsive than the ATTESA, although it is constant AWD, so it makes sense.

power delivery is different too, the stag is lagier, but a bigger kick (the N1's are probably pretty laggy too?) however the legnum feels like a small jap V8 in its power delivery.
at first i felt disappointed as there was no "wait wait wait... woooosh!" then i realised i was doing 120km/h when i thought i was doing 80. :p

mickeyb

Crunching Gears
First Name
Micah
Drive
Stagea Legnum Chaser
Gee, Mitchy, were your ears burning? We were just discussing you on SAU... Yeah, the cam/compression/N1 combo can be a 'little' laggy...:)

Sounds like the Legnum will feel like the Chaser does:smoooth!

I'm looking forward to this: auto will be a nice, lazy change, too.

G

Unregistered
haha, i'm still loved over there!

mines the first auto car i've had too... real handy when you just want to drive and not have to wrestle a heavy twin plate. :)

the tiptronic is a bit of fun when you feel like you want to change gears too, so its not a total change over.

G

Unregistered
unfortunately the leggys are under-braked like the stag's.

i'm midway through making brackets to fit my 4 piston R33 callipers to a set of slotted 330mm rotors on the leggy.

Top Bottom