Moonroof maintaince

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Warmer weather is now here and i've started to use my moonroof a little but i've noticed that the motor is sounding like it's strugling a bit, i help it along with a push/pull but was wondering what maintaince should be done on them?

There was a bit of old grease it looks like around the tracks which i cleaned up and i've sprayed a heap of silcone spray around to help lube up the tracks but not really helping much, any sugestions?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I'd say that there is a heap of gunk (old grease and dirt) that has collected around the sunroof motor gear (behind the interior light)

Removing that, cleaning and refitting is an annoying job, but could be done in about 20min.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As much as I hate to say it, that sounds like a complete removal, thorough clean, lube and refit job. With a bit of luck it's just a bit dirty and the tracks are dry. If that doesn't fix it, you're looking at a new motor... NOT something you want to have to face :(

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There was a thread on cvr4 talking about this a while ago, can't remember any details on what they did other than lubing it.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well, i cleaned my moonroof with plenty of w40d with long nozle, wipe them off clean and then put silicon spray on them. it is smooth. car got little dirty though.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
May be covered somewhere, do you have to remove the whole roof lining to get to the innards of the moonroof?

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
might pull it apart and give the sucker a big clean then... so CBF tho lol

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I've taken the headlining out - and it's a bitch to do. Lot's of very fragile clips that can easily be broken too. Furthermore, there is no need to remove it to access the sunroof gizzards.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Sorry, had to quote this and lol

When you close the sunroof - does the interior shade close too? If this is the case, I'd suggest you alignment is out somewhere (it's not meant to).

I had this problem for a while and did notice the extra strain on the motor.

The moonroof has a function to close the interior shade with the glass roof. When you open the roof, it stops at a point, if you then click the button in the open direction again, it goes back another inch or so, and stops. When it does this it grabs the shade, then the button can be clicked forward and the roof shuts with the shade.

:D

Top Bottom