My Black Galant VR4, the simplest VR4 ever

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
nice convert mate . was looking at same engine when i converted the fto but was going to be too much hassle as the engine was round the wrong way so i opted for the 6a13tt,but love your work ,keep it up

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Great work Derry!! How does it drive, the dyno printout suggests its got nothing below 5000rpm or was that where the run was started?

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
thisi s right up there with the 2jz conversion.

We got someone that doing engine swap for his Lancer GTi (Evo III model) using 2JZ-GTE (Non VVT-I and from Toyota Aristo) however as you might guess they need to push lot of firewall, rewelding most of the entire chassis just to fit 2JZ-GTE and its transmission

gti36.jpg

gti37.jpg

gti38.jpg

as you can see, it's design only for drag and not daily so they don't care if they move battery to the trunk, no A/C, no interior etc as long as 2JZ-GTE can sit into it and the car can run

Personally I 'm not into that kind of modification so I tried my best to keep it as stock as possible but different people different taste

regardless the way they put 2JZ-GTE into lancer is somewhat great achievement that personally I think most people won't even consider of doing it

Taking Lancer's engine bay and size of 2JZ-GTE (including its transmission) into consideration and I think most people will suggest 4G63T to fit into lancer if you know what i mean

with stock 2JZ-GTE and stripped interior bet the lancer will run 1/4 in somewhat 11 low ??

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
nice convert mate . was looking at same engine when i converted the fto but was going to be too much hassle as the engine was round the wrong way so i opted for the 6a13tt,but love your work ,keep it up

yeah, I know what you mean. The interior parts are also pain in the ass too since mine was originally EA5A not EC5A

sweet 6A13TT into FTO ? may I have a look mate ? especially on your engine bay

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
Great work Derry!! How does it drive, the dyno printout suggests its got nothing below 5000rpm or was that where the run was started?

The clutch is killing me especially on traffic jam. No wonder most of car with high power and torque are paired with automated manual transmission. And to think I was into 3 pedals before and change my mind after 1 month of driving it as daily car

Kinda ashamed that yes there's very little power and torque below 5000 rpm, the tuning was incomplete. The turbos should spool faster before 4000 rpm but it's enough for daily driving things for now

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
mate jump onto www.3si.org and see if you hunt down the problem there....something is not right at all......you should have near stock drive ability and with standard TD04 9b turbos they should spool a shitton quicker then at 4000RPM.

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
mate jump onto www.3si.org and see if you hunt down the problem there....something is not right at all......you should have near stock drive ability and with standard TD04 9b turbos they should spool a shitton quicker then at 4000RPM.

thanks Paul, gonna check it

*update picture of My Galant, Very dirty after few runs on Highway
IMG-20120307-00278.jpg

IMG-20120307-00279.jpg

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
Hey Derry nice car,

Brad showed your car to us before you did, look at post 6.

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?11461-Youtube-videos
Can you tell us a bit about the car and what made you go down this path etc.

Are there 8th Gen Vr-4's like ours in Jakarta?

I never expected some1 post my car at other thread :D

Can you tell us a bit about the car
You can see the list of exterior and interior part I put at My car at my first post in this thread. As starter, It's my first project and I think it's not good enough because basically I had no basic knowledge in engine and car when I started this project (not like I'm expert now and still have lot to learn) so basically I just relying on my mechanic and forums such as 3si, clubvr4 and ozvr4. As for Interior and Exterior part, I learned a lot from ozvr4 and clubvr4 such as where and how to get it, the price of the part and even down to specific such as which type of legnum / galant that has it which is helping me a lot since EA5A at my country has crappy interior color

To make it short, It's my own version of Galant (since I use parts from various type of Galant) and I tried to keep it as stock as possible since it's much easier to sell whenever I need money (most people at my country prefer stock condition when buy used cars)

Why 6G72TT
I dunno, maybe because it has better max hp and torque than galant vr4 yet it's more accessible because it need lower rpm but honestly I can't think any good reason since I chose it way before I had knowledge about this or even any engine

Why change to 6G72TT FL
I learned from 3si that 6G72TT FL has better durability and I found 6G72TT FL without tranny for sale. Mine was 6G72TT with 5-Speed tranny 1992 that has 25-Spline Transfer case, same spline with 6G72TT 6-Speed 1993++

what made you go down this path

The truth is I'm not fan of VR-4 (Galant and GTO), I'm not even fan of Mitsubishi. My fav is Nissan GT-R R35 FL (especially 540 hp version) however comparing the price to even Australia, the price tag is totally absurd. Brand New Nissan GT-R R35 FL (540 hp version) is around AUD 275.000 - 288.000 (depend on seller) at my country. Even used EA5A is around AUD 8.000 - 12.000 and EC5A (original, not engine swap) is around AUD 25.000 - 29.500 which described in 1 words "OVERPRICE"

At first, I want to have used sport car but it is impossible after-all and opt for Galant. At first well I think the looks is quite good despite 10 years old however I'm not impressed at how it performs at road. At that time, engine swap for Galant is quite a situation similar just like "trending topic at twitter" and there's how it start since I just follow the flow they started

Are there 8th Gen Vr-4's like ours in Jakarta?
Original Galant VR-4 EC5A is very rare, and I mean VERY RARE that I bet you can find Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (4-doors R34 GT-R are rarer that VR-4 though) more than original Galant VR-4. However there's some (not too many but not too few) galant owners who swapped their EA5A using EC5A's engine. The price of EA5A with EC5A's engine (engine swapped but not interior or exterior swap) is cheaper than original VR-4 EC5A, around AUD 13.000 - 20.000. There's only 1 type of Galant in Jakarta which is EA5A, so finding parts from other type of Galant such as VR-M, VR-4 and VR-G is very hard unless we buy it ourself from other country

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
cheers for all that info,

Make's me wanna ask more questions about ppp Indonesia vs Australia but I won't take over the thread with all my questions :)

Perhaps you could buy a smaller cheaper car as a daily and use the Galant on the weekend or at night time after work?

We'd all like a GTR..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Nice work Derry, it's a mammoth task, even if it's not prefect in your eyes, you have done it which is more than most can say.

As for an R35GTR, I don't want one, impressive as it is, it's still ultra heavy so there are heaps of other cars I'd have first. They are quick though:)

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
cheers for all that info,

Make's me wanna ask more questions about ppp Indonesia vs Australia but I won't take over the thread with all my questions :)

Perhaps you could buy a smaller cheaper car as a daily and use the Galant on the weekend or at night time after work?

We'd all like a GTR..

cheers mate, just think this thread as your own thread, I owed this forum and ozvr4 members a lot after all

well even smaller and cheaper car is expensive if you take a brand new one unless I bought used one. But the project's finish for now and I don't think I will spend more on this galant so I think I just enjoy my ride for time being until, say I got enough cash to spend on my fav car (will take years and years though)

I only like GTR R35 FL (DBA-R35) though, I mean even if we left the cash out of it, how in the bloody hell car with so many disadvantage (weakness seems so rude) can keep up with those competitor (if not better). Sorry for straying from the topic though

werrior

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Derry
Drive
Galant 8G
Nice work Derry, it's a mammoth task, even if it's not prefect in your eyes, you have done it which is more than most can say.

As for an R35GTR, I don't want one, impressive as it is, it's still ultra heavy so there are heaps of other cars I'd have first. They are quick though:)

Thx steve, can't do it alone without helps from everyone though. Name the list of the contributors and I need a full day to write all of them

yeah you know what I mean, That car is heavy as hell, R35 also hasn't implemented VGT which means less torque generated and need higher rpm to reach it. Despite that I still don't have slightest idea how it can be so fast and it's not just fast but got superb handling as well. Ok this gone stray way too far from thread topic, won't discuss R35 again

Top Bottom