My exp about bov today

G

Unregistered
finally , i got a bov today , its a blitz super sound dump valve.
34mm adaptor , fits the legnum .

first i put the bov on my car , with it softest . Runs well on the road.
but if i up the rpms to 3000 then take off my foot when rev , it will stall! i try to adjust it .
when its hardest , still stall ... ( up to 3000 rpms with low idle speed , 4000rpms stall. )

with working the whole afternoon , i found that : must reset the ecu after install a bov!!! no longer stall now with reset the ecu and run about 60miles .

G

Unregistered
may be the ecu learn how to adjust the A/F vaule??
i have no idea....

G

Unregistered
I have been through the same thing, it is a matter of spring tension. The stock setup uses measured air as david mentions, so using a VTA valve means that the ecu has already put in fuel for that air, and when it is dumped, the car runs rich temporarily, and stalls.

You might need to get a stiffer spring, because by tightening it up you can cure the stalling problem. Too tight, and you will get compressor shuddering when you lift off, because the BOV isnt doing its job..

Also double check you have blocked off all the unused lines or pipes, as an airleak will do the same thing.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
give it a day.. drive it normal.. the ecu will get used to it..had the same experience with my HKS SSQV2..

G

Unregistered
I have been through the same thing, it is a matter of spring tension. The stock setup uses measured air as david mentions, so using a VTA valve means that the ecu has already put in fuel for that air, and when it is dumped, the car runs rich temporarily, and stalls.

You might need to get a stiffer spring, because by tightening it up you can cure the stalling problem. Too tight, and you will get compressor shuddering when you lift off, because the BOV isnt doing its job..

Also double check you have blocked off all the unused lines or pipes, as an airleak will do the same thing.

i think i cant get the stiffer ...
i am in nelson nz . i ask many workshop , have no spring for sale for the blitz super sound dump valve , i may try to get one from any other else place ... is there anyone have a good advice to get one ? thx ! now i set the valve hardest. its better now ....

btw , how can i check the airleak and what pipes or lines i need to check?
thx for answer.

G

Unregistered
give it a day.. drive it normal.. the ecu will get used to it..had the same experience with my HKS SSQV2..

now is a little better , i up to 5000rpms and it doesnt stall .
i will try more later to check it , thx mate

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i dont see why anyone would replace a recirc dump with a amosphere dump thou, the idea in recirc is that the engine knows exactly what is going on and all works well. why stuff with it ?

G

Unregistered
Just get the Evo MR BOV as they can hold very high pressure I'm told.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Weird, I didn't have a stall problem with my HKS SSQV....

Should I reset the ECU anyway ??? Seems like the in thing to do ;)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
resetting the ecu kinda helps with your new setup... also contributes a little to better your fuel economy.. that's what I've noticed with mine anyway..

G

Unregistered
Weird, I didn't have a stall problem with my HKS SSQV....

Should I reset the ECU anyway ??? Seems like the in thing to do ;)

u can try to reset the ecu to set a new a/f value , maybe it can solve the problem of the bov

G

Unregistered
i dont see why anyone would replace a recirc dump with a amosphere dump thou, the idea in recirc is that the engine knows exactly what is going on and all works well. why stuff with it ?

the reason is ...
when i buy this car , it already had a aftermarket bov ( turbosmart type-1 ) . but i thing its too hard , so i change a biltz one , but with a standard bov its too soft , faint ....

in the other hand : the noise make it comfortable .... i can sure i works though the noise ... "Wu........pSSSSSSSSSS"

G

Unregistered
These are the posts by Kenneth on CVR4 that helped me set up my BOV,
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12684&highlight=bov

That said, i still had to adjust my idle speed up, and it does drop low when you lift off.. just not enough to stall. Either way, i decided to go for the SSQV style valve this time round because as mentioned on the other page it works slightly differently, and doesnt seem to cause the same issues (aside from overfuelling) but gives you the VTA sound

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
i think i cant get the stiffer ...
i am in nelson nz . i ask many workshop , have no spring for sale for the blitz super sound dump valve , i may try to get one from any other else place ... is there anyone have a good advice to get one ? thx ! now i set the valve hardest. its better now ....

btw , how can i check the airleak and what pipes or lines i need to check?
thx for answer.

you shouldnt have it set to the hardest setting - you might aswellk not have a blow off valve at all!! you will get turbine chatter as it wont beable to dump enought pressure

G

Unregistered
These are the posts by Kenneth on CVR4 that helped me set up my BOV,

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12684&highlight=bov

That said, i still had to adjust my idle speed up, and it does drop low when you lift off.. just not enough to stall. Either way, i decided to go for the SSQV style valve this time round because as mentioned on the other page it works slightly differently, and doesnt seem to cause the same issues (aside from overfuelling) but gives you the VTA sound

some vr4 with ssqv also have the idle speed stall problem.

i dont think change a bov is a good way to solve this problem.

but u can try to change the tension in the bov first

to set it harder ( dont too hard ) to have a test drive.

when u can heard the air comes in , u life off , if u can hear the "pSSS" ( not very loud ) .

thats soft enough . else i think u need to turn it softer.

when this job done , slam in the rev , up to 4000-6000rpms and lift off.

if the idle speed come back to normal that means the setting is ok else u need to turn it harder

some people tell me softer is better than harder , and i believe that!

Top Bottom