My VR4

G

Unregistered
Hi guys, I'm a 3d animator whose been working on the Legnum model on and off for the past couple of months. The modeling part is pretty much finished now (apart from the rims, exhaust, fuel filler cap) so I thought I'd post it up on the web for some feedback before I went ahead with painting it. I posted it on a cg forum that I'm a member of and good some good feedback but, perhaps unsurprisingly, no-one actually knew what sort of car it was - so I didn't get much feedback on the acuracy of the shape. So I decided to post it here on OZVR4 where I can hopefully get some feedback from people who know their leggys.

So... I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer any comments on the acuracy of the model, what needs to be changed, improved etc. I've spent so long looking at it I really need some outside perspective.

Also, I haven't decided on what colour or what sort of rims I'm gonna do, so if anyone wants to see what a particular colour/rim combination would look like, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Gerard

G

Unregistered
Wow, that must have taken ages..

Only thing that looks out of place to me is the lack of rear spoiler, and intercooler behind the mesh :p

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
The rims are very Akira-ish with the massive dome like structure but it sorta suites the model. Nice work man, you must have spent heaps of time on it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
thats pretty damned good!

The wheels need to be about 5% smaller though I think, and the rear doors need to be a bit longer. The foglights don't look quite right, and there is a cutout in the exhaust on VR-4's. The side skirts aren't done right, they are all one piece rather than cut at the front door. There is also no key hole in the rear doors, and the top of the middle bar in the grill isn't shaped like that.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Good stuff Gerard - one other thing I noticed is the center of the front grill (between the headlights) needs to gradually widen as it goes up instead of stepping out like you have it.

Look forward to seeing it rendered!

cheers

Lee

p.s. bronze Volk wheels on a white car look hot :)

G

Unregistered
Man that looks awesome, i can't wait to see it finished. Have you done any onther models?

The only thing i would look at would be the front lights. They look to be sloping forward instead of back toward the car.

My vote is to see a set of Konig Allalone's slapped on there, with some Type S flares.

G

Unregistered
thats pretty damned good!

The wheels need to be about 5% smaller though I think, and the rear doors need to be a bit longer. The foglights don't look quite right, and there is a cutout in the exhaust on VR-4's. The side skirts aren't done right, they are all one piece rather than cut at the front door. There is also no key hole in the rear doors, and the top of the middle bar in the grill isn't shaped like that.

Good spotting eagle eyes ,;) I'll get to work on those right away. I'm not sure about the rear doors though, they seem to line up with the blueprints. I did have trouble with the spotlights, as I couldn't find any decent close-up reference. I'll see what I can do though.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. As for the wheel suggestions, the Volks should be fairly easy do I'll do them first and then maybe the Konigs. Also the flared guards would be a nice touch I should probably do them as well. I'll also add the other stuuf you guys mentioned, eg the exhause cutaway and the rear spoiler etc.

Watch this space...

G

Unregistered
Its coming along great!

I'd have to agree and say make the rear door just a little bit wider.

Also too add maybe you could make the rear lights point out more towards the center as the back looks a bit flat.
Also the rear window and boot door are not quite right.
The rear door surrounding the rear window is not as thick as you have and if you reduced the thickness it would give the rear downdow more slope like it should be.

And a small one, the middle of the bonet where it is raises need to be raised a bit higher and more so at the rear.

Keep up the good work. (Just trying to help)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
that looks awsome make good work.
i think everyone has covered the issues i could see

as for the colour MAKE IT Trigure Moave :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Gerard, let me start by saying lovely work - I'm extremely impressed and tickled pink someone with your talents is interested in modelling this car. Please don't be disheartened by any of these comments - as far as I'm concerned the model certainly looks a LOT like a legnum VR4. The only question is just how accurate you want to get it ;)

To give you some feedback, I've made the following notes (and the reason I'm so anal about the front bumper is I spent four solid days with mine sanding it back by hand for respraying):

• On the front bumper you've depicted an extra ridge that it doesn't have under the headlamps.

• The ridge above the fog lamps is too pronounced - its much gentler than that IRL.

• The fog lamps are actually flush with the bumper they sit in, where you have them curved for the forward-facing lamp - it just has slots moulded in the lens to direct light forward, but the lens itself is at a very definite side angle.

• The flare moulding at the bottom-side of the bumper isn't nearly as pronounced IRL - its very gentle and slopes out gradually about 15mm, not the 30 or 40mm your model depicts.

• There's also an additional bulge from the bottom corners of the bumper that you haven't included - its actually a lot squarer than you realise!

• I think part of the problem with the shape in general is the lip you've extended out from the bottom - on the actual car the bottom lip is flush with the face of the top half, where you have it extending a couple of inches.

• The vertical bar next to the fog lamp is also far gentler sloping into the bottom than in your model (probably related to the point above).

• The wing mirrors in your model are also odd - they're set too far back, slope backward and are thinner than IRL.

• A-pillars connecting to front fenders strangely - I'll have to check what's wrong exactly, but it looks odd.

• DEFINITELY need the rear wing added!

I think you'd benefit from a few high-quality photos of a stock car from a number of angles. Unfortunately I can't help much as my car is in pieces after an accident, but I'm sure someone on here will be happy to assist if you but ask :)

Otherwise FANTASTIC WORK and I can't wait to see the finished product!!

G

Unregistered
Man, I wouldn't have posted on this site if I knew you were all this anal about Legnums. :)

Just kidding, I'm glad you're all pushing me to make it look good because I want to put this on my demo reel and hopefully get a job out of it. The better it looks, the more chance I have of getting work out of it.

Anyway, a small update: I've changed the front bit around the logo to look more like it should, fixed the side skirts and I'm currently working on the spoiler. I'll post pics when that's done.

Thanks to ET for emailing me those pics they're great and to bradc for the link. It took a couple of days for the account to get activated and when it finally did I found out that I already had most of those pics from doing google image searches :). They have been very helpful though, love the goats. (Probably won't add any of these though)

Back to work then...

G

Unregistered
New pics!

Time for a small update...

I got a bit bogged down with the spoiler so I decided to do the mags. I went with the Volks cause they were easier ;) If anyone's got a set of Volks and could take a closeup of the logo on the centre hub for me I'd be very greatful. It would finish them off nicely.

I've also made a few changes to the front around the logo, altered the bonnet and added an intercooler. Don't worry if you can still see problems that you mentioned before, I'll change them eventually.

'til next time...

G

Unregistered
very nice project!

I think the wheels are to big, I'd like to see it with the original rims, no aftermarket parts. And don't forget the rails on the roof!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
That's really coming along Gerard! Those rims look fantastic :)

Roof racks were an option, so not strictly necessary - personally I think it looks better without them.

What modelling software are you using - Maya, 3DS Max?

G

Unregistered
Im going to agree with Trevor on this one. It looks awesome without the roof racks and the mags look good. Gives it a very race inspired look to it, but i would like to see some drilled and slotted rotars on her and a nice big front mount grin.

G

Unregistered
That's really coming along Gerard! Those rims look fantastic :)

Roof racks were an option, so not strictly necessary - personally I think it looks better without them.

What modelling software are you using - Maya, 3DS Max?

Ah, someone that speaks my language. I'm using max to model and rendering with vray at this stage, though I've heard mental ray has a good car paint shader.

I'm probably gonna leave the rims as is for now, I understand what you guys are saying about making it stock, but I reckon it looks better with the volks. Not sure about the roof racks.

I don't speak fluent petrol-head, so I'm assuming a "big front mount grin" is some sort of front bar mod. Can someone fill me in? :)

G

Unregistered
Well it been a while, time for an update. As far as I can tell, it's done, (except for the interior which I haven't decided about yet) though I'm sure you'll let me know if it's not. The next step is to put it in some kind of scene and make a really good image out of it. I've also started making an animation though that'll take a bit longer. Anyway, the pics:

This one's quite big...

I might post some different colours in the next few days...

Top Bottom