my wife's car is in trouble - advise needed

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hi guys. well, it is odd to ask this question here but my wife's car is in trouble.

vehicle 2003 c180 kompressor, 150000km on it.

Engine warning light came on so i thought i will ask my mechanic to scan it for my in my next service. everything was fine.

one month later, one morning

when idles the rev is unstable. as if it is going to stall then comes back in "simple harmonic motion" or periodically in a cycle of 10 seconds.
When i drive, the rev is fine, just when it is on idle, it does that.
if driven, it becomes ok then starts trouble again when the car is on idle (stopped)

1.Took it to the mechanics, had faulty O2 sensor reading.
2. replaced the O2 sensors (it has two and was due)
3. Replaces the plugs (it was dirty and old)
4. could not source the leads so we got the second hand one for the moment.

we thought it was due to the bad fuel. some petrol stations does funny things you know

4. reset the computer, still happenning
5. cleaned the fuel intake pipes (i think)
6. replaced the throttle body (we borrowed one from the wreckers)

still the same

now, my mechanic (he is honest guy - father's friends son in law - but not sure how good he is with supercharged cars) seems to the lost now, and suspecting something wrong with air flow sensor. He post a thread on his internet for some advises.

Would it be wiser for me to just put some injector cleaners and drive around before i geet the hit by the fout figure repair bill?

what do you guys reckon?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would imagine that there is an idle stepper motor on it, surely that would be the first place to look

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Take it to someone who knows Mercs.

Have you tried searching on the net? I am sure there would be a good forum for them too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how about the air filter? has it been replaced recently?

if it is supercharged.. could it be possible that there's air leak somewhere?

btw, what year is the C180?

justdo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 evo 6.5 TME
It sounds like an air leak some where, just trying to locate it is going to be the problem,check vaccum lines,brake booster,anything that takes vaccum off the inlet manifold, good luck.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
air filter changed today, not much luck. My Mechanioc suggested leave the car at his garage, rental car will be given if i needed and he is going to do some research.

will suggest him to check the leaks on monday. thanks guys~!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Generally if it has an unstable idle mostly point to airflow meter.
BUT ring Mercedes and ASK!!! Don't guess and put yourself thru the wringer with what-ifs. You've got a Merc- take it to a Merc mechanic. If it's something simple then do it yourself;)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Generally if it has an unstable idle mostly point to airflow meter.
BUT ring Mercedes and ASK!!! Don't guess and put yourself thru the wringer with what-ifs. You've got a Merc- take it to a Merc mechanic. If it's something simple then do it yourself;)

good call. i will merc monday and ask.

I first thought it was just dirty injectors or faulty O2 sensor and thats why i took it to my mechanic. Merc mechanics ripp you off by charging 190 bucks per hour labour to just change the engine oil:thumbdown:

Thanks guys for your support, will update soon

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Sounds like a problem I had with my Lexus. Turned out to be an air leak, one of the hoses was cracked. $50 odd part later, perfect!

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Good new eeryone, i am getting my wife's car back tomorrow`

i have suggested few things to them (thanks guys), they have clean the throttle body and sensors in and out and reset the computer and it is fixed~~ well, thats what they said

thanks guys for a great help.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
See from 4 days ago you've gone from "oh fcuk" to "Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"(y)
Great to hear
It is more common that a reset is required these days with the increasing number of computers involved to control the car

Mate of mine has a CLK convertible....complete will all the Barabus treatment, also runs Alfa cats as the Merc hi flows don't flow enough. 280somthing kW at the wheels.(y) It's the fastest CLK in Australia!!! Mercedes want him to trade it in on an AMG55:tongue_smilie:

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
well, guys, i am very,well,, upset

car is not fully fixed. they said new air flow meter is needed

merc's quote is around 2000 just for the part

now, my mechanic told me just turn the aircon on and it will be right. something to do with electricity and shit

i paid him one grand for the services including two oxygen sensors and plugs and plug plug (that hold plug) and computer adjustment from merc. Not as bad as before but still shit. i am upset.

Oh man.. just some bad luck these days.

Top Bottom