If I dont get my Leggie working properly soon my wife is going to kill me

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
Ok guys I need your help guys my life depends on it. Since I bought my leggie 2 months ago ive had to do a lot of maintenance.Ive replaced the control arms all the fluids and added a trany cooler. the last thing to be done was the throttle body seals. I thought this was causing the hissing sound i was getting when boosting but no. I found another leak and fixed it and I still have another one but when i pressurise the system i can hear it but only just this is making it hard to find.But the hissing when driving is fairly loud . I intalled a boost guage to help diagnose the prob and it says im only getting 5 pounds of boost. somtimes i hear the bov dump presure at the end of the hiss and other times i dont. I also noticed a little oil in intercooler y pipe when i was doing a leak test. So guy i was wondering if that last tiny leak is causing it or the bov is stuffed or a turbo is on its way or could a small hole in the exhaust cause this. It is stock 2001 facelift with a k&n panel filter and no boost conroller any help would be greatly apprieciated.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Running wastegate pressure and a loud hissing I'd guess vacuum hose loose, maybe one of the vac lines for controlling boost. Factory bleed solenoid hooked up ok? Does the hissing get louder/quieter depending on throttle position?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
where are you located? I notice that you're in NSW.. either ask Steve (TME_Steve) or Meek (workshop) to look at it,

Steve's knowledge with our cars is damn pretty good, as he tunes it, so he'll know if there's a slight miss..

Meek on the other hand, they've got alot experience with VR4's and Im pretty sure they'd be more than willing to help..

also.. its possible that its the BOV, leaking.. they're usually the weak link once you find all the small vacuum/air leaks..

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
spray bottle and soapy water is your friend.......

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
What the others said, give me a yell if you're nearby and still need a hand

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
yeh cheers for the reply guys i live in Forster so its a good trip to sydney.To answer volks ? the hissing sound is a pretty constant volume while its boosting . hopefully ill hunt down the little leak tomorrow and if that doesnt fix it a new bov it is.SO if all that fails ill just have go for a drive and see the nice people at Meek.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Anygood workshop that deals with turbos should have a smoke machine for boost leaks. Tighten up everything from yhe turbos to the throttle body also...

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
ok guy want to give you an update.so ive replaced the bov and pretty much all the vacuum hose and the hoses running to the bov and the car has got more power and boost im getting 7 pounds at peek.But im still getting a hiss on boost so im running out ive ideas im going to bypass the boost solinoid with a mbc to see if its the solinoid .So if the dosnt cure the prob im off to a mechanic Ill be at the gold coast brissy area next week can anyone recommend a turbo mech there. cheers guys

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
You sure its not a normal sound? It sounds like you have pretty much checked everything.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ben, be aware that the car will sound like its hissing ( a boost leak as you've described) this is the factory boost valve doing its thing. If you've now got 7psi, then you're running the factory pressure and all is well. The noise is sometimes described like a diesel idling.

Does anyone near you in Forster have a Leggy or Galant- if so go for a ride with them to hear if theirs makes the same noise.

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
sorry I thought the facelift should hit 8-9 psi mine only hits 7 when i have it flat to the floor most of the time its at 5 psi. But it is my first turbo and i have a lot to learn.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
You should get to 10ish at around 5k but probably 70% of cars have a problem with the factory solenoid that means they run wastegate pressure. Mbc/ebc/3port will fix this. If youre heading up to qld one of the knowledgeable guys there could probably have a look. Our if you're ever in sydney give me a yell.

tsai1

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
01 legnum
cheers I should have a mbc waiting for me when i get home

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
I had this happen with a hole in the front down pipes (exhaust leak). Check your oxygen sensor is tightened all the way up as if it was loose this would happen as it mounts onto the front pipes.
Also your fuel economy would have taken a hit - mine averages 11.7 over a long time now.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If the plastic factory blow off valve is rooted it wont boost high either, mine wouldn't go past like 8 psi

Top Bottom