Nakamichi CD500. Need to fill extra DIN slot underneath

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Hey guys,

I'll be replacing the standard cassette deck with a Nakamichi CD500 head unit. The reason i chose this head unit is because it looks standard and it has 9 OEM colour illumination options to best suit the dash lights of the car.
Those of you familiar with Nakamichi would know that these are the most expensive head units and in-car audio equipment around. But you pay for quality and the fact that the backlight illumination can be customised to exactly suit the colour of the vehicle's interior lights is very appealing (not a fan of head units that look aftermarket with disco lights and whacky equalizers)

This head unit is the second best of the CDXXX series and costs US$499.

Now, the thing is. Even after installation, there will be an extra DIN slot underneath. I'm not too sure what to put under there.

What do you think of these cup holders?

Here is a picture of the free DIN slot at the moment

Dimi

freedin.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how about factory mitsubishi gauges? volt meter, temp gauge and boost gauge..

it'll look nice

G

Unregistered
how about just a plain old pocket you can pick up from most car audio places

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks for the suggestion. That's what i was looking for but i worry that an aftermarket pocket won't be an exact fit and it'll look odd? No?
I can get one of those from an audio place can i?

Just want it to look like stock :)

3486331.jpg

G

Unregistered
fits fine. if you can get a head unit to fit in the gap a pocket will fit in as well. i have a pocked under my alpine deck.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea Dimi if you're not going to use the second din port then IMO a pocket is a good option - I have one in my Magna and I use it all the time, I'm lost without it in the VR4... Wish I could put a tray behind that damned sunglass holder!! :mad:

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yea Dimi if you're not going to use the second din port then IMO a pocket is a good option - I have one in my Magna and I use it all the time, I'm lost without it in the VR4... Wish I could put a tray behind that damned sunglass holder!! :mad:

Yeah what's with that sunglass holder anyway? Are they for Ants (sunglasses)?

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
toyota pocket fits neatly as does a pocket from a earlier galant. SCR probably wont have it.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yep. Strathfield car radios don't have the din pockets. I checked today. So i'll see if i can pick one up from an older galant wreck at Pick 'N' Payless in Blacktown.

Thanks for your help.

Oh and for those who want a single din sized guage cluster, here's the defi ones on ebay. Very pricey, but they would look great.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I actually made a pocket myself out of some thin mdf and black felt. I didn't realise you could buy generic ones!

G

Unregistered
aeropro make the generic ones. you would have to get one from a car audio place or try a jb hifi that do installs.

Top Bottom