Need help negotiating with buying a new car.

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Hi Guys,

Need some serious help here - jokes in this thread is not appreciated.

This is going to be my first car new car. And I have never been so stressed out about it. I actually hate buying a new card, as I never thought it would be this hard.

I'm not good at negotiating but I've never had to or had experience. I'm usually the one who feels bad about ones feelings meaning paying the asking price etc..

I've been doing some serious research about negotiating tactics but they don't clearly explain what to actually do.

I've seen some people who get full quoted RRP for a car and get at least 10% discount. Now obviously I realise at this stage full RRP is a starting point for negotiating and no one ever pays that. But what do I say? What do I do?

I'm not a pushy type of person either, I could get conned into paying for full on most things - i.e - hate asking for a discount because I feel bad.

Either way I've already test driven, he's quoted RRP and now we're communicating via email.

I'm actually nervous about this whole situation and really shouldn't be.

I mean, even if you guys gave examples of good sales you've done and how you achieved it?

Please help!

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Dont get caught up on price, that should be the last thing you talk about. Male sure he knows youre interested in the car but also that youre willing to walk away if the deal isnt right. Compare it to other cars that are cheaper or better equipped. Say you like the car, but there are others in the same price range which are competitive alternatives (there probably are, anyway) and ask him if he can make your choice a little easier.

If youre worried about asking for a certain price, say "well whats the best you can do for me?" instead. Remember that there are other factors. Maybe he can chuck in a few options or an extended warranty instead of lowering the price.

Edit: When i said dont talk about price, i meant actual numbers. Let him make the first offer and go from there

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
Find out what he can do, and see if another dealer can beat it. or vice versa

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Look around and try to find the best deal possible..maybe even looks at the same car offered by interstate dealers and then you will know how flexible they are on price. I prefer the direct strategy. Give him your best offer and walk away. But in order to do that you need to know the market well. I dont like extras cause dealerships always charge a bomb for them hence i rather a lower price.

Kaida

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Danny
Drive
1998 Facelift Legnum.
It's a new car, from a brandname dealership?
Stuff feeling bad about trying to screw them a little on the price. Seriously, how many tax dollars support car manufacturers the world over? Get ya share. :)
Or even, maybe, people here have friends who work in dealerships, and could therefore recommend people to talk too, regarding different brands etc? Or even towards the end of the month, when salespeople are trying to get a quota to win a trip to Bali? I'd take a small commission on one or two sales to win a trip any day. I have an old friend at a BMW dealership, and the sales incentives they offer the salespeople are awesome.

Danny and Kaida.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
The only new car i have bought i went around to a few dealers and got their best price. Took a couple of grand off that, Then went to the one i liked most and offered that price. Worked fine

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Pm me your number and I'll tell you what I would do

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
never, ever pay rrp!

do some research, get some other quotes, say you are looking at multiple options, give examples, after the research you should have a reasonable figure in mind. cut 10% at least off this and tell them thats what other folks are offering (i'd go 20% most times as a start, may have to adjust some dealers are already bending over and lubed), be prepared to walk away.....

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Now I've sent an email around to all of the dealers in Victoria. I've asked what I wanted exactly and if the price is right that I'm ready to put a deposit down.

However. Some wont do anything until I call or visit, and some will only quote RRP. Am I doing something wrong?

Do they think I'm a joke if I low ball? I just don't know what to say...

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Now I've sent an email around to all of the dealers in Victoria. I've asked what I wanted exactly and if the price is right that I'm ready to put a deposit down.

However. Some wont do anything until I call or visit, and some will only quote RRP. Am I doing something wrong?

Do they think I'm a joke if I low ball? I just don't know what to say...

its difficult for them to actually tell if youre serious about the car through an email. Its best to call them up or even better, visit them. Let them know youve been to another dealer, saw the same car and got an offer. Maybe take an email of the agreed price your dealer gave you, or a business card with it written on the back.

Make it seem like you're ready to slap down a cheque, but you have other options. Whether that be other cars or other dealers.

Most, if not all dealers work off commission. So they wont mind undercutting a fellow co-worker a bit if it means they make the sale.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
That's some really helpful info guys. I'm also of thinking of comparing the dealers Victoria wide. I'm guessing the country based dealers are more willing to do a sale because they wouldn't get as much traffic etc.

Any more information would be extremely helpful. I need to negotiate every last dollar so I am getting the best deal and value for money for the car.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You can always do better than a broker, as you care about it more than they do....

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
in my experience country based dealers are more expensive, the dealers in the city have more competition so it drives their prices down.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
I actually think low balling is good because atleast you get to find out how low the dealership will go.

G

Unregistered
Location can have a tonne to do with price. In my experience you can buy a car far away ad drive/ship it home and still come out on top.

I looked at getting an FG XR6 T, Both at ford dealers, new, In stock, Any Color, Manual, Base model, cloth interior, no sound system upgrade.

Townsville BEST price :$51,500.
Brisbane BEST price :$46,850.

I negotiated face to face in Townsville and Over the phone for Brisbane.

Brisbane Listed price was $49,500
TVille Listed price was $51,500

I have noticed this with every dealer her in Townsville, with any model cars, VS Brisbane and Sydney.

Search far and wide.

98 SPORT

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ray
Drive
1996 VR4/Ralliart Colt/v12 XJS
My experience is that cars are more expensive in Qld.When negoiating with them beware the "DOUBLE CLOSE", thats where the salesman gets you in the office and gets their sales manager to sit in with you and work on you, stay out in the open, literally, and at the end of the day, no matter how much they tell you its A GOOD DEAL,I youre not happy or comfortable with the deal,DONT DO IT. Walk away and live to fight another day.

Top Bottom