Needles not lighting up

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
The needles on my Speedo and Tacho arent working but the fuel and temp are.

Any ideas? cant work it out

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Having not seen the back of the dash, I would be guessing blown globes that light up the needles? Taken it out to check these yet?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Adrian the dash is usually lit by globes. More common than blown ones is unseated - check behind the dash to make sure they haven't fallen out of their ports and the globes aren't blown.

EDIT: Apparently not for the high-vis VR4 dash - see Wes's post below

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
hey guys i have had my dash out already as i had a sticky needle, when i took it out the needles themselves have probes that plug in to give contact.

i dont know its hard to explain, but basically the light is in the needle itself, the pins plug into the power on the panel itself.

i know what you guys mean by lighting being in the back of the dash but these are different well mine was anyway.

mine is a 97 prefacelift with hi vis dash

if you pull out the dash and pull the needles off you will see what i mean, i did it on mine and all still seems to be working fine still i thnik my speedo still reads correctly etc.

make sure the pins are inserted correctly into their insertion point etc maybe swap the 2 larger needles if one is still working.

if you want any more info call me

0428160286 and i will see if i can describe it better.

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
Thanks Wes,

I'll probably give you a buzz on Sunday when i'll have the car in pieces. have a few other things to fix.... Gearbox etc

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the speedo and tach are linked in series, if one is disconnected, neither will work. I had this exact problem when I was building my 260kmh speedo.

The contacts that go from the pcb to the needles were the problem for me. Basically you need to remove the cluster and do continuity checks with a multimeter to see which one isn't touching, and then bend the end of the screw into place. It is something that happens every so often unfortunately.

Top Bottom