Neutral and clutch safety switch

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi folks,

I've fitted my car with some magnetic reed switches on the manual gear shifter so that I can fit a remote start capable alarm system. I can easily use these to replace the clutch switch, but I'd like to setup a small circuit that allows me to start the car given the following circumstances:
  • In gear, clutch depressed - Start
  • In gear, clutch not depressed - no start
  • In neutral, clutch depressed - start
  • In neutral, clutch not depressed - start
This is essentially a logical OR circuit but aside from installing an Arduino with a relay (which seems overly complicated) I'm not sure how to set this up. It's on the tip of my tongue - so to speak - but I'm not sure exactly what to do. I do know that if you disconnect the clutch switch the car will start even if you don't press the clutch pedal so it is an open circuit when you depress the pedal.

reed neutral switches.png

Before I start getting into this, I wonder if anyone else has done it already.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
I've got a remote start Viper system in my manual. PFL so no clutch switch.

If it helps, the way this system ensures safety for remote start with a manual car is to do with the programming of the system.

To do a remote start I have to:

1. Be driving my car
  2. Pull up with engine still running
  3. Handbrake on, foot off brake (signal from handbrake and brake switch go to the unit)
  4. Press 'arm' twice on my remote (indicators flash to indicate remote start is armed)
  5. At this point I can remove the key and get out of the car. The engine stays running like a turbo timer, so you have to have it in neutral to get out of the car. No clutch switch.
  6. Shut the door.
  7. Activate alarm/lock (car turns off).

Then when I'm ready I can press arm twice again on my remote and the car will remote start (still locked).

I can unlock with the remote and get in, once I insert my keys and turn to the 'on' position usual operation resumes.

If I touch the brake, handbrake or open the bonnet (bonnet switch) before I put my keys in and turn to on, the Viper kills the engine.

If I unlock the car without first doing the remote start, as soon as I open a door/bonnet is remote start disarms and I need to redo the above process again to be able to remote start.

It's a pretty complicated system, but as far as I can tell it's a pretty solid safeguard against accidental remote start or remote starting in gear - without having to do magnetic switches.

Really the only way I could think of it stuffing up would be if you armed remote start, got out and locked someone in the back seat. They could then move the stick into gear then when you go to remote start it would try and start in gear (would still have to have the handbrake on regardless.

If you're interested in this system I can find you more information on what Viper I had installed?

Top Bottom