New Defect Law..

PUDG3_VR4

The Unlucky One....
First Name
BJ
Drive
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2002 Volvo V70 XC Cross Country
My bad, I thought everyone was still up in arms about the Type 1 offence punishments.

On topic; I don't really have a problem with defect laws, it'd be nice if we could do what we want but they need to have some control over what people do to their cars.

Have you seen what can be road registered in the UK!?!?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
most of the cars i see speeding are the drivers in their SUV type cars were they're always in a hurry go get from point A to B. I dont see them being classified as HOONs.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
"Our" one attempt was the AMEP...look how much that did. It's going to take the people to rise up against before the gov will take any notice. One minority isn't going to be listened to, especially when we're essentially cash cows for the gov.

My next car is going to blend in, that's the best defense (and engineering too). What's the saying.. "the nail that sticks out is hammered in?"(That might've been from Tokyo drift, but thats not the issue here). All those in standardish fridge white wagons will be ok. Say goodbye to cool wheels and straight pipes though. That'll raise attention. Anything that makes a cop look up and take notice might make you a target.

So besides that fact, it is just a joke that the police have been given so much power to issue fines etc at their own discretion, the laws are more guidelines now, and the cops set the definitive boundaries as they see fit on a day by day basis, which is rediculous cause all it takes is one cop to have a bad day. These laws are really a joke. People in other countries can't beleive we have to deal with it and especially that's there's no right/wrong. That's probably the Main thing. I think I'm ranting....my alfoil hat is pretty thick lol

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yea we can elect someone to represent us in parliament, but then they go & align themselves with Clive Palmer, so that was a waste of time..

G

Unregistered
More than anything, it makes me sad and greatly disappointed to know the government has not made it a priority to crack down on drunk and dangerous drivers, chronic speeders, uninsured cars that5 dont have CTP etc.

My father spent most of his life as a crash scene forensic investigator, and pulled countless dead families from cars, many of who were killed by the people mentiond above.

It is embarrassing that they feel "hooning" is more dangerous than drink driving, which more than likely has effected all of us here in one way or another.

I dont understand how an illegally modified (albeit perfectly safely in performance terms) car, becomes more dangerous than an unroadworty, unregistered, unisnsured car with an unlicensed or drunk driver behind the wheel.
It really is embarrassing for victims of the road toll and their families that this won't help future deaths.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Half of the stuff they get us for being illegal is only "illegal" cause of the ancient laws. Technology has increased a lot since the 50's why haven't the laws changed too?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
my alfoil hat is pretty thick lol
We're merely wheels in a broken machine my good man. My foil hat is catering strength!

Also, Kelvinator white wagons FTW :D I've never had any form of police attention in Legume, then again it's stock height with stock wheels. Just another magna.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
We're merely wheels in a broken machine my good man. My foil hat is catering strength!

Also, Kelvinator white wagons FTW :D I've never had any form of police attention in Legume, then again it's stock height with stock wheels. Just another magna.
I have also not had any attention from Mr Plod, even though my driving style is more forceful than it should be.

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
Easier to own a gun rather than a modified car these days.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Easier to own a gun rather than a modified car these days.

Says you. Do you know how many psych evaluations I've had to suffer to get one? Still no dice...

Jeebus, you admit to wanting to shoot just ONE person, & all of a sudden you're a threat to society...

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
I haven't had any real dramas with cops other then when I was speeding that one time :( every other time has been RBT's. There was one question about the exhaust My reply been " came with the car " and it was left at that, But NSW is different in some areas of legality but I wouldn't be surprised if they change that in the new year. My understanding also is that other state drivers are accountable to all laws in the state they are driving in, is that correct?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Same here, a lot of the time the reason you are getting pulled over is not because your car is drawing attention to you but because the way you're driving is. Especially with louder cars where it is easy to tell you are on the loud pedal. A good attitude helps once pulled over as well.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Says you. Do you know how many psych evaluations I've had to suffer to get one? Still no dice...

Jeebus, you admit to wanting to shoot just ONE person, & all of a sudden you're a threat to society...
Ex wives shouldn't count, should be a freebie.

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
It's my engine, i'll rev the fucker if I want. Who are the victims of this? Mannnnnnn we do need someone to start a fight back at them, I'll join :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Holy crap, I finally bothered to read it. so if you "Wilfully starting or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke" (ie your car is louder than plod likes or it smokes cos it's um maybe getting an engine cleaner put through it on the side of the road in an industrial area where there is nobody around) you lose your car for 90days on the first offence, yet if you drink drive (high range even!) or exceed the speed limit by more than 40 (well that's open....) no impoundment on the first offence.

How the hell does that make sense!?!?!?

seriously.... but then, any decent lawyer will then get you off later on the basis of "the grounds for impoundment or immobilisation were unreasonable". Which means you dear road user may be without a car till you pay for someone to get it back for you potentially because someone didn't like you etc.

I trust that these laws will be used appropriately but they do seem a bit too open. Especially when you hear about people getting done in stock SS VE commodores on FE2 suspension for being too low (ie what the highway patrol them selves use) at downshift meets. At least in NSW what i assume they mean by the smoke bit is titled "aggravated burnout". Here you can also have you car impounded on the first offence when more than 45 over the limit.... makes more sense at least.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Has anyone been reading the discussion about this on 'Campbell Newman's' Facebook page?

Judging from the responses he's giving, I've come to the conclusion it's not really him.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I dont think just having a smokey engine is enough to fall under this law, most of the Cat1 points actually fall under a subheading.

"Wilfully starting or driving a motor vehicle in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke" DURING "a speed trial, a race between
vehicles or a burn out"

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
Yeah but who decides if you in a "speed trial or race"? I know I'm in vic but here in my town there are a few intersections where it goes from 2 lanes to 1 lane fairly quickly after the lights. As a result I always give it a bit more gas away from the light if I'm at the front of the line to ensure either I can merge easily if my lane ends or vice versa. Everyday there is countless close calls there from people not paying attention and almost hitting cars because they arrive at the merge point right next to someone and going the exact same speed or standing on the anchors (sometimes both cars do it) and come to an almost complete stop in the middle of the road. Now under the laws above, why I do can be construed as "racing" if the cop is having a bad day and I have no recourse or proof otherwise, their word seems to be law and I fail to see how accelerating faster than normal away from a set of traffic lights is worse than almost causing an accident because you are too braindead to workout how to merge into traffic. I know which kind of drivers I would rather be around.

Top Bottom