New Legnum owner - SA

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
My eternal search for a relatively fast, practical and most importantly -affordable AWD turbo wagon appears to have been finally rewarded with the discovery of the legnum.

I fly to sydney fri to pick up my new legnum

2001 pearl type S, 47,000kms tiptronic, stock.

Having enjoyed the format of a turbo AWD in the form of a subtly modded subaru liberty RS turbo wagon for a number of years, but with 340,000 original kms on the clock it had to go in favour of something bigger and more reliable (and cheap) by way of a vx commodare wagon (LPG), as other priorities (read building my own house and the arrival of child no 3!) made stuffing around with all the attention the agiing RS needed an impossibility

some extra cash saw the purchase of a 2003 verada GTV as the second vehicle, (for only $15k!)which is a highly underrated vehicle in at this price, but still left wanting in terms of overtaking power and the frustrations of the FWD format and lack of 'value' mods. but the quality of the misubishi impressed me.

Vehicles like the liberty GT STI and mazda 6 MPS appealed greatly, but unfortunately these cars held their value far to well to be in my price bracket.

then i stumbled across the legnum, which seems unbeatable value to me, as a vehicle that combines good peformance, practicality price and obscurity, mod potential (like any turbo) and a significant step up from the verada, for about the same c/o price. (which is what got the business case past the missus..) I think its too heavy to be ultra quick, but im also too old to go that fast anymore anyway, i scare at fairly low speeds these days. I just want that punch in the back coming out of the corners, and the ability to slow down again before the next one! And the ability to suprise the occasional unsuspecting sportscar.

I had kristian (iron chef) on the lookout for a machine for me when this one came up in sydney. registered and ready to go. i got a vehicle inspection which came back very good, so the purchase was made.

As my lifestyle with multiple kids is full on, the only real time i get to go for a blast is to take the long way to the hardware store or the shops (i live in hahndorf, which is ideal..) So i dont expect ill appear on many cruises, but im certainly keen to tinker a bit and participate on the forum...

So the legnum will be the backup/weeekend car and i dont expect to put more than 10,000kms per yr on it.

Oh, my daily commute is a ZZR1100.
Eddy

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hi Eddy,

Welcome to the forums, and great to see another SA legnum. Sounds like you picked up a nice example, you'll definately have to share some pics when you can. As for cruises, we'll be hopefully heading up your way soon, so even if you can't come down to the city for a meet point start, join in as we go past! :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hey Eddy, welcome to the site :) Methinks you're underselling yourself a bit there - too old to be kicking along at a healthy rate of knots? Not on a ZZR1100 my son, not by half!

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
heyyy...another legnum in the hills! I'm based in Mt.barker. haha guess i'll be seeing ya round then.

G

Unregistered
Hi Eddie.. welcome to the forums, check out the SA member topics for all local info etc. I think you made an excellent choice and I'm sure you'll really enjoy the car, the performance, the space and the anonymity.

I also agree with Trevor.. if your daily mode of transport is only slightly slower than a Hayabusa then you're indeed one swift ol' man, lol.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Anyhow, what's old? Some of us aren't all that young anymore... (looks at Peter D)

Welcome to the forums. :)

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Thanks for the welcome..

Not that old, (mid 30s), but a wife, numerous kids and a mortgage makes you feel old sometimes.... Thats why i needed the fast car, to offset all that mature stuff... hehe.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Congrats Eddy and welcome to the forums too!

have a safe drive back, but enjoy it!

Top Bottom