VIC New member in near Tullamarine

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
I'm now a proud owner of a 97 Legnum Super and am slowly doing bits to it, I've put indirect neons in the footwells, changed the stereo which was a total nightmare, just would not align to any of the mounting holes so I actually took it to Autobarn of all places as I was going to buy a Double DIN cage, but the fitter came out and we took it around the back - he rewired most of it and tidied it up a lot which took him 90 mins to do.
They only charged me $40 too, which is slightly cheaper than the actual cage I went in for.

New VIC Japanese plates arrived yesterday, front was easy but I had to drill the liftgate and put in some rivnuts to make the rear one fit.....

GDY_Rear.jpeg

By the way, this is like my 120th vehicle, I lost count a few years back lol

Legnooms

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Legnum Type-S VR4
2004 Ford Territory 4 sp Dual fuel
2006 Ford Territory 6 sp Dual fuel
Welcome,
yeah lining up the double din is an absolute pain, i think I just drilled new holes for everything haha.
Might see you around the Macedon Ranges

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
I've put in bunches of head units, but this one had me totally stumped! I was like, surely I don't have to drill holes in the damn mounts.
I broke bits off the console too :(
(I meant to say the fitter did drill holes in my 1st post).

Never been up the Macedon Ranges, mrs says it's beautiful.

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
Finally got around to fixing the clock today, works a treat now. :D
Releasing it from the dash though!! I ended up using cloths and 4 screwdrivers to get it out.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum Dave :)

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 17.3a

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
I was playing with some wires, adding in a LED voltmeter.
Now the CEL and the TCL idiot lights come on about 5 minutes :cry: of running.
If I stop and restart it will be fine for a little, then the idiot lights come back on.

I removed the wires and just left it sitting there BUT it's still coming on.

Oh yeah, and it munchers batteries like fun :wtf:

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
Please help!!

I went to start her this morning and the battery was totally dead so I put in a fully charged one.

It took forever to start but when she finally started I now have the following idiot lights coming on:

CEL, TCL, AYC & ABS. HiVis dash is off too.

She was fine yesterday and I've removed all the wiring that I added yesterday and have checked most of the fuses.

Hoping (Praying!) someone will help me out. :banghead: :banghead: :wtf: :cry:

(Do I need to post this in a different topic, sorry)

Cheers
Dave

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
I jumpered pins 1 and 4 and this is what I got:

TCL:...

12 FL wheel speed sensors (or a short break)

13 RR wheel speed sensors (or a short break)

21 FR wheel speed sensor system

CEL:...

12 Air Flow Sensor System

13 Inlet temperature Sensor System

21 Temperature Sensor System

I'm leaning towards something that would cause them to throw codes, such as some particular issues can sometimes shows up as phantom codes...
It is a bit spluttery but settles down quickly.
Apart from that she's fine, even with the idiot lights on. Those 2 lights come on simultaneously, about 50 seconds after starting.
I took the battery out last night and she hesitated to start but settled down nicely. Then the lights popped back on! :(

I've looked through several posts regarding this kinda info but it's all Greek to me! :)

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
OK so I went out this morning and the car just cranked over and over but would not start until the battery died :waaah:

I had a spare battery which I charged overnight, put it in and she started first time. Still hesitates when pulling away but that clears about 1500 rpm then once she's warmed up she's fine.

I am pretty sure that there is something simple that is causing the issues - It's not the immobiliser as when I hit the secret switch the dash lights come on and she cranks.

Is anyone here going to Rajab Racing in Somerton this Saturday? I was talking to Steve @ TME yesterday and he is going to be there for dyno testing and he said there might be a (slim) chance that he could take a quick look to see if there is anything easy, but he also said that other people going to the meet may have some information and hopefully give me a hand. Luckily for me it's only about 20 mins from my house.
Obviously I can't expect him to spend too much time due to all the dyno testing he has to do. *Fingers Crossed!*

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
Trying to see if I can get images to work, hosting them myself...

HiVis Dash:

Dash.jpg

Drivers Footwell Indirect Neons:

GDY_Driver.jpg

I reckon this looks evil as:

GDY_Front.jpg

Taken without flash using my Note8:

GDY_Front_1.jpg

Same pic as before, just lightened the shot which is why it's so grainy:

GDY_Front_1_lightened.jpg

Oooh more neons, passenger side this time:

GDY_Passenger.jpg

Man do I like the rear end of the leggy, again taken with no flash... I love my number plates too!

GDY_Rear.jpg

The Head Unit from Hell, but at least it's fitted now, testing with Avengers: Endgame (slightly before it was released, aarrrr matey)

HeadUnit.jpg

Cheers and awrabest

Ecosse.gif

Dave

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
I uploaded a pic of a sensor which had nothing attached to it, but the post has gone missing- Did I do something wrong?

Here's the sender in question:

Sensor.jpg

Cheers for any assistance!

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Looks like the original factory boost solenoid.
Do you know if the car has been tuned ? Or has a aftermarket 3port solenoid ? Because if it does then it's all hooked up to the new solenoid.

It might look like something like this on your car:
forsale12-jpg.61522

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
Yes, thanks, mine does look rather familiar. It has been tuned, I've also caught the boost gauge memory showing a peak of 1.1bar.
Because my fans are running flat out I am putting in a manual switch shortly to cut the power to the fan relay.
That way I can let it be until the temp gets about 1/2 way up, then I can turn them on. Might have to fit an LED pilot lamp too.
This is only temporary until I can find out exactly what's wrong with the Billion VFC-MAX wiring.
I've got a wiring diagram but am waiting for confirmation that they're right, e.g. Yellow is listed to go to body ground.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey mate, all sorted with the error codes?

Also Why do you want the fans to run manually? I'd rather have these come on automatically

If they come on full on that means it is compensating / cooling down yout engine. Might wanna check if your coolant requires flushing and/or you have air pockets in your system

Knightmayre

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum Super VR-4
Hiya,

Well basically the system is missing the output from the aftermarket coolant sensor, is showing as an open circuit which is also why the fans come on full-blast as soon as the ign is turned on. Takes me about 3 minutes to start her when cold. Starts nice warm too.

Anyways I know roughly what's going on but don't know how to proceed...

Coolant temperature: goes from the where ever it hides to a Billion VFC-Max which then controlled the fans either as 1 stage or 2 stages.
That's the meter that blew up.
Apparently Yellow is a "Body Earth" colour so that was a bit of a surprise.
Car dash temps are OK.

So now I have some wires hanging around- I know what some of them are and one loose pink wire- and I think that goes to what's noted as a Private Additional Sensor in the wiring diagram I have... it was hanging bare so I don't know what it is. I know I'm gonna blow something up if I keep going.

Car was fine when I 1st got it so I know it's something I probably did.

Top Bottom