NZ New member, old car

Gazza

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Gareth
Drive
1995 Galant Sports GT, 1996 GTO, 1990 GTO twin turbo
Hi, I got a bit too bored recently during the lockdown and put a cheeky bid on a car in NZ and ended up winning the auction. So I'm now the proud owner of a '95 Galant Sport GT. Technically not a VR-4 but really it is. I've had a bit of a scan through these forums and I'm wondering if I'm in the right place, everything seems to be 8th generation here?

I'm new to the Galant but I know my way around the GTO and a couple of other Mitsi models. I'm based in VIC at the moment, waiting for the borders to open to get back to all my tools and project car in Adelaide. So right now I have a GTO in VIC, another one in SA, another one in NZ and the Galant GT in NZ.

It's a pretty neat car, I'm looking forward to having a drive as soon as they open the borders again. 6A12TT in the original VR-4 / GTO orientation, probably so they didn't have to redesign the transmission until the next generation. It's an auto but I don't really mind, it's more of a cruiser for me. All of my GTOs are manual.

jyffin4q.e5z.jpg

rhef0nm3.ibn.jpg

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
:) :) !! Welcome To OzVR4 !! :) :)

NICE !!! Haha, my favourite of all the Galants, they are not a bad car, I actually owned 2 of them in Sydney actually (GTRV) for like 8yrs, I prefer the GT because no abs in it and lift back/hatch instead of sedan, even tho I love the sedans but they looked abit weird.

Sadly sold them both to the one person, with the automatic, the gearbox’s aren’t that great and breakdown a lot.

If somehow it makes it to Australia and wanna sell let me know haha

Gazza

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Gareth
Drive
Thanks for the welcome! Part of the reason for joining up is to see what the situation is with these cars over here and whether it's worth bringing it over. I think I probably will. I haven't seen one over here before.

As for the gearbox I figured it's probably the same unit as the auto GTO, which is getting a bit long in the tooth these days. I have a load of GTO parts including manual gearboxes (for the NA, which is the old VR-4 gearbox) so a manual swap wouldn't be out of the question if the auto gives me issues. I have to look up the ratios, I reckon they're the same unit.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah I’m not sure with the gearboxes regarding GTO and Galants but I got mine reconditioned and worked great after that, but know from other members from different forums that auto gearboxes are bad.

How is it possible to get car from NZ to AUS ? Thought you have to live there for like 2yrs ? Or am I getting it all wrong ? Not like Japan where you can import it.

Gazza

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Gareth
Drive
Yeah I brought one of my GTOs over on the personal import permit as I had owned it for years. That was a pretty easy process, and I just got it chucked in the container with all my other household stuff. If I bring the Galant over it will be using a different system (the car being over 25 years old now I think it should be allowed). It doesn't really matter where it's coming from, as long as the car can be imported. At least that's my understanding.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum, Gareth. I never knew the 7G had the engine the other way round.

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 17.3a

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Top Bottom