QLD New to VR4 and need advice.

Steadyeddie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ed
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hey guys,

My boss in a Vr4 wagon and I loved doing the lunch run in it.

I am now in the process of looking a buying one for myself here in the sunny sunshine state.

I have seen 2 that i am quite keen to look at but I wanted to get the insider perspective on which one to go for.

Both are listed on carSales.com.au and i have posted the links below.

goo.gl/3PwW9

Recnetly had Cam belt and major service done and styled the way i like but older interior.

http://goo.gl/W71sD

Or Newer model, fewer km's but no history of cam-belt being done. A1 condition.

I am stuck on this decision and want an insiders view.

Can somebody help?

Ed

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Would you rather auto or manual.

I would get the newer one if it was manual. But not a huge fan of autos, depends on what you prefer.
The 100k service will be about $1200.

The older one would save you thousands in mods of you can cope with the interior! Hell for the amount you save on mods you could buy a newer interior!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I don't even see a comparison.
You have a very well cared for car in the pre facelift model, manual, lots of good mods but not over the top. The owner obviously loves the car. Get some Reacros and you'll be happy.

the facelift model is a bog stock AUTO legnum with no nice options (Momo, seats, sunroof) and is probably a Fresh of the boat import. Someone bought it cheap and is trying to make a profit. No service history and lots of $$ to spent to get to the stage of the prefacelift.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
no brainer, what he said ^^

Steadyeddie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ed
Drive
Legnum VR4
My only real issus is i like the newer spec interior with the Recaro seats and prefer the facelift models rear end.

The older car is more my style though and think it really stands out from the rest.

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
I've owned two auto Legnum VR-4's in the past and am now on a manual Galant. The autos are good, provided that they are looked after and serviced regularly. From past experience, the cost of rebuilding a failed transmission is exorbitant and in hindsight, the money would have been better spent performing a manual conversion (admittedly I'm in NZ with a much larger parts market to do this).

Autos use more fuel but have a longer 5th "gear" which allows you to cruise at 110km/h @ ~2500rpm. The manuals have shorter gear ratios and 110km/h will see you at around 3000rpm. That can be changed though by swapping out gears with certain Evo gears which some members here have done.

Whilst I've enjoyed owning autos - one can't simply beat a manual. They are also far more difficult to find than autos. Interiors are very easy to swap between cars. If you find Recaros, you will need to get the rails that come with them - they do not fit on the standard seat rails.

Lastly, if you want to upgrade to Brembos on a pre-facelift, you will need the hub carriers and ABS sensors from a facelift vehicle.

Steadyeddie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ed
Drive
Legnum VR4
So, by all accounts it would appear conclusive.

So the older car it is and it comes with the plate VRR04 so who's complaining. Without taking the piss tho i think that $10500 is a little rich, Thoughts?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Yes buy mine :D

Price is negotiable and happy to assist with transport. If you're after QLD in the car, the wheels came from Paulie in Brisbane, so part of it will be local to you ;)

If your budget is closer to $10k, buy my car and part out the bits you need to get your $$ back, you can see from the thread there is plenty of interest. I just dont have a lot of spare time at present (or ever it seems) to be swapping bits over....

Steadyeddie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ed
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yes buy mine

Price is negotiable and happy to assist with transport. If you're after QLD in the car, the wheels came from Paulie in Brisbane, so part of it will be local to you

If your budget is closer to $10k, buy my car and part out the bits you need to get your $$ back, you can see from the thread there is plenty of interest. I just dont have a lot of spare time at present (or ever it seems) to be swapping bits over....

Would be very interested at the right price.

The biggest issue for me is although I a car nut this will be my first VR4.

I am reluctant to buy what i cant see and more importantly getting it here will be a nightmare. Money for me is not the problem but i want to buy a nice no hassle car. When was the timing belt last done?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I am reluctant to buy what i cant see and more importantly getting it here will be a nightmare.
I bought mine from Japan (many others here have too) so I think going from SA to QLD would be easier. It can be a pain but I wouldn't hesitate if it's a special one, Hotwire's looks really good. I think Donkay's has already sold?

When was the timing belt last done?
This is due at 100,000KM so if it hasn't been done, I'm not sure it is needed yet.

Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
to give you an idea mine was a fresh import (pre face lift auction grade 4/5) and i've spent 7 grand on maintenance just to keep it on the road and as reliable as a new car. Most recent item was the clutch (exxy-ish)

The thing you gotta remember is that they're old cars.....the facelifts are a bit newer...on most of these major service items will need doing soon (hence ppl dump them on the market), and the timing belt is one item but there are seals etc also which will also need changing soon as well.

The prefacelifts which are older would've had some of it done by now just to keep them on the road without issues.

if i had to do it all again...i'd probably just buy one already here owned by a car enthuisast than from a dealer...unless it was a really clean/well kept example

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
IMO yr better off buying Hotwire's car..it is done up very well and you know he has taken care of his car..just read his owner's thread...at that price the car is really good value for money..you should seriously think about it...

G

Unregistered
I agree, I know if I had my time again (and my money lol) I would buy it in a second.The service history and preventative maintenence alone is enough to seal the deal, not to mention every mod you could really want is already included, and as I'm learning it's not the easiest or cheapest car to get modded to that level so that's a HUUUGE bonus.Don't think people here are pressuring you into buying the car, we all just want to see a new enthusiast get the best car they can with their hard earned money.

Steadyeddie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ed
Drive
Legnum VR4
All Valid points.

As I see it is a very attractive proposition, the concern of a $1200 timing belt service etc with the next 18 months is a worry, not to mention the transport costs to QLD and on road costs after that.

I had budgeted $15000 all up for a new car and the Legnum stands to give me the best bang for my buck. I am cautious buyer and therefore have concerns about being a car i havent seen,touched, smelled and most importantly driven.

wil

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wil
Drive
99 Leggy
Timing belt is every 5 yrs or 100,000 kms, at some stage you will still have to change it.

Some ppl change it straight away, after buying the car. Unless you really know the history!

Fly over and check it out if you like it from looking at the pics and drive it back! You can always get a local mech to do a pre purchase report. Pretty sure you will get some money back, when you had over interstate plates.

Shamwow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
Commodore (dont hate, its for work) & MY16 WRX Premium
IIRC there is a FS thread on here for complete black leather interior aswell. Just another option.

Steadyeddie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ed
Drive
Legnum VR4
So now I am in a pickle.

Making serious potential plans for a road trip from adelaide to the Gold Coast, no thanks to Hotwire LOL.

I think if its an immaculate example i am after then that seem to be the best option short of sweet talking godzilla out of his "Insert Wink wink Nudge nudge"

Top Bottom