SA New User Looking for a VR4 Galant

n00b_vr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Peter
Drive
A car!
Hey guys,

New user here. Joined up to do a bit of research on the VR4's as I'm looking at getting one in the near future as I'm looking for a cheap-ish, reliable performance sedan.

Are there any major issues I should be looking out for?
Are the early (96-98) cars missing a lot from the later model cars?
How much is servicing usually and what are the normal intervals?

Thanks in advance!

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Need deep pockets:greedy:. welcome:) , we service ours every 5000km oils, filters,ect (y)

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
Hey guys,

New user here. Joined up to do a bit of research on the VR4's as I'm looking at getting one in the near future as I'm looking for a cheap-ish, reliable performance sedan.

Are there any major issues I should be looking out for?
Are the early (96-98) cars missing a lot from the later model cars?
How much is servicing usually and what are the normal intervals?

Thanks in advance!

Major issues, most important to make sure that your car has had its major service.. I think these should be done every 80,000kms.
Also, you'd want to make sure that your control arms have been replaced, or put that at the top of your list of things to do:
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/this-i...ce-your-control-arms-or-go-aftermarket.10806/
(its not pretty when they fail)

I've got an early model, and it isn't missing much at all from what the later ones do. With the later models, apart from the aesthetics, you get a different key, and the windows can wind themselves down using the key I think (this can be transplanted into a pre-facelfit, though) The engines, and the insides, apart from a few niggly details, are pretty much the same.

Servicing for my car is usually around $200. This normally involves the standard oil and filter change, and a new rubber line from the blow off valve (as I keep splitting mine). But of course, this depends on the mechanic! Every 5000kms is probably the way to go with these cars, unless you really baby it, you could probably stretch it to 7500km. Its not worth the potential side effects of not servicing often :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Hi Peter,

All your questions should be answered in these threads :)

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.13e

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info

Posting new threads is restricted by default. For full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
- Upgrading your account

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

Top Bottom