NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Heyooo

long story short, on a bit of a budget i bought a defected vr4 interstate for REAL cheap in alright condition, bit dirty and some exterior wear and tear but i was happy with it.
started fine, ran fine, BOV sound was amazing

for transport had to take the exhaust off from the dump back
worked fine from :
Prev. owners doorstep to SA Depot
SA Depot to Sydney Depot
and the day the went to deliver it to me it didnt turn over. after going to see it it cranks and wants to start but doesnt kick over. thinking maybe a fuel issue? could hear the pump whining faintly when i put my ear to the plate under the back seat.

any ideas? also exhaust ideas would be awesome. want to run a varex or something similar due to annoying neighbours but i love having a loud car.

Thanks guys!

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Maybe check all fuses with a test light, maybe blown engine fuse, fuel pump fuse etc......

I know people are having trouble with the IFS module and crank sensor with these cars sorry all these are basically guessing but I would check fuses first

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
The fuel pump only runs while the car is running/the key is being turned, it doesn't pre-prime.
So when you put your ear to the panel, was someone turning the key?

I stick to what Fred said about IFS and Crank sensor.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome to the forum Ronan :)

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.7w

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Oils and Fluids
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info
- Posting photos, especially in the Classifieds

Posting new threads is restricted by default, for full access become a Premium Member:
- Upgrade to Premium Membership benefits

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
ok so whereabouts is the crank positioning sensor?

also im not familiar with an IFS Module, what is it?

i have the intake manifold off to change the spark plugs so may as well check it while my access is good

Ugly

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Martin
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4
Why don't you give Steve at TME a call during business hours, 02 4751 7003
He knows these cars inside out and is very helpful. Plus, he stocks a lot of VR-4 specific parts

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
With the ifs you can bypass it to check if faulty or not or if you know someone that has a galant or Legnum near you (or if someone here is close to you that can help with putting theirs) can test it on your car, won't take 5mins to do to swap for test

Or if you wanna bypass it to check
Here's a link below that will help :

Basically bridging pin 3&4 on the plug of the ifs, tachometer won't work but if your car start then it needs replacing

https://www.ozvr4.com/threads/deleting-the-ignition-failure-sensor-ifs.16801/

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Still not starting. Replaced spark plugs and after that whenever i turn the key the whole car shuts down. Dash and everything. Thinking it has to be immobiliser or a fuse so im replacing fuses when i get parts delivered if not giving mitsi a call

No good photos on my phone. Will upload some when i can move it somewhere haha

Also has a HKS super sequential BOV

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
so im potentially an idiot

there was a black vacuum hose on the block that had suspiciously been disconnected and tucked underneath everything, only realised when i was messing with the CAI that there was a missing pipe - connected it thinking the car would only crank then she turned over in her glory and scared the shiza out of me. so im stoked.

also found some pre dodgy stuff on the car today as well

LHS fog light has had the feed rewired to a train horn, there is not horn fuse at the moment to thank god i never tried it at 10 at night

random bare cables just dangling like earths and such, put in connectors until i can test in the daylight

had a thread before about some random 6V plug near the drivers footwell

but since the cars working now the fun begins

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
yeh will get some this weekend, need a new phone background anyway.

not in bad nick paint wise, got a vinyl black roof, a pinstripe running on each side of the car, on stick rims at the moment but hopefully gonna get some opinions and test fit some in the near future.

next stop is getting the car ready for rego, currently can get failed for BOV, the lack of exhaust, no battery clamp, fog light turns on a train horn and stupid stuff like blown bulbs. CAI im not sure about, its one of those supercheap ones where the pod filter has that carbon look surround on it and just a bare pipe coming out. will post pics when i wash it this weekend.

might start a dedicated thread for this car so if i need help people just have to scroll up for previous mods and car history, also to show off my shiny led conversion when the bulbs arrive, is that fine or is that against the rules?

Top Bottom