delta_fragma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendan
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
2012 CJ Lancer ES
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of importing a Legnum through Iron Chef. It's not my first Mitsubishi, I currently drive a 2011 CJ Lancer. At the moment, my Legnum's on a boat, due to arrive on the 27th of June, then off to Master Cars for compliance. Until then, I'm doing some reading and already planning some mods :D

Does anybody have any advice on things that I should request to be done at the compliance stage? At this stage, I'm probably going to get a two-way alarm fitted at the same time as the immobiliser, but aside from that, what else is worth doing at compliance vs after?

Cheers,
Brendan

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Welcome aboard. Unless you trust the workshop, the less they do the better. Where are you located? Do you have any specs or photos of the car? We might be able to help identify what you already have in order to recommend the next modifications. Typical recommended is aftermarket cooler if automatic transmission, bigger intercooler, if getting a tune (recommended) then an uprated fuel pump.

Maintenance recommendations are diff, transfer case fluids as well as the obvious gearbox, engine oil etc. AYC diff is sometimes neglected due to lack of understanding or failure to follow the service manual. Lower control arms are known to fail if not replaced at recall or after age / mileage.

delta_fragma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendan
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
2012 CJ Lancer ES
Thanks. I'm in Sydney. I've got a series of pics that Troy sent me, I've uploaded them into an album here:

http://imgur.com/a/fcyfr

It's got Evo (8?) Brembos, Tein coils and an axle-back exhaust. I'm planning on getting a tune through Merlin, who did my Lancer.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Pre-brembo'd, nice.

Flush all fluids.

Get a trans cooler if it doesn't already have one.
And get evoX flappy paddles to go with the auto box.

delta_fragma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendan
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
2012 CJ Lancer ES
Pre-brembo'd, nice.

Flush all fluids.

Get a trans cooler if it doesn't already have one.
And get evoX flappy paddles to go with the auto box.

Ooh, looks like I can recycle my current paddles!

KyP6JDf.jpg

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.13b

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info

Posting new threads is restricted by default. For full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
- Upgrading your account

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Contact the compliance place and request the tyres you want.

Otherwise, they will fit some cheapo / generic tyres on your car, which you'll either be stuck with until they wear out, or you will replace anyway, resulting in you paying twice for tyres.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Also, when they do the stupid mod to the power window controls, ask if they can just tape over the contact point rather than cutting out the rubber button, much easier to undo :p

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Tune wise I wouldnt recommend anyone other than our own tuning guru Steve (TME_Steve)...the good part is he is located in Sydney..

All consider getting the 100k (timing belf/water pump/belts/pulleys) service done...although the car may not have reached a 100k it is usually recommend to be done at 100k/10years...

My legnum was the best car I have owned so take good care of her and she will always bring a smile to your face :)

delta_fragma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendan
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
2012 CJ Lancer ES
Thanks! The car just arrived at the compliance workshop today, and I've requested that the auto window switch pads be taped over instead of cut. I've already got the parts for the 100k service, does anyone have any suggestions for workshops within 20-30kms of Hurstville/Rockdale?

EeELd2B.jpg

I had Merlin tune my Lancer, and I know he's done a few Leggys, but I just saw TME's Facebook post about flex maps, so that's made my mind up for me :D

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
S001s are good. Mine have lasted quite a while and grip is pretty good.

delta_fragma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendan
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
2012 CJ Lancer ES
So I just went out to Master Cars today to check it out, and I have to say, for a 17 year old car, it looks to be in exceptional condition. I could only find 3 paint chips on the rear bumper below the tailgate, but apart from that, it looks great.

I'm told that the physical compliance work has been completed already (in 2 days, should I be worried?), and they're now waiting for a plate. I checked the window switches and the auto functionality is still there :D

I did notice that there's a small crack on the top of the radiator, where I can see coolant bubbling. Does anyone know where I can find another radiator?

delta_fragma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brendan
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
2012 CJ Lancer ES
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I've taken delivery of the car today, it's currently sitting in the garage! Drove about 75kms today just for the hell of it, it's a great drive!

Also, thanks for the suggestions about the radiator replacement; I've ordered an aluminium one and hope to fit in on Sunday. I've also ordered a spare key too, since the the rubber membrane on the one I've got has been basically destroyed, making the buttons really hard to push.

Top Bottom