newby from newyyy

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
OK so it still drives, then I doubt it's anything to do with the drivetrain.... Boost cut is therefore a logical potential problem, is it going really well just before the problem?

As for the AYC needs to be flushed with evoscan or you can make you're own switch thingy there's a thread on here somewhere, search for flush AYC or something in the guides section. In a nutshell, you have to drain and refill the diff housing (2 lots of oil, one is for AYC) then there is a reservoir in the boot and you keep topping up and then you drive the pump with evoscan or the other thing and push it through the bleed nipples, kinda like flushing brakes but with a pump instead of the brake pedal. Gotta do both sets of clutchpacks too so you bleed both sides.

Mitsu ATF SPIII for the AYC, about $50 for 5L which is more than you need.

kiz91

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rj
Drive
Legnum
Yes it is driving fine all the time except when it has this problem. Can you please describe to me what boost is and why my car would be doing this, if that boost restrictor is said to only bring the boost up to around the 8 or9 psi mark?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I always get a chuckle at this, boost is more like 11psi max in stock trim. Those with less have a stuffed factory solenoid or some piping change to make the bleed not work.

Boost cut usually occurs at about 15psi or so and less than 4500rpm. It will feel like youre going great and then really violently you lose all power (fuel is cut) for a second or so, I must save a dyno graph of it one day as it is quite a curve.... Then you get power back. If you just removed the restrictor it shouldnt do anything like this, it would give another psi or two at best.

Is that what it feels like?

kiz91

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rj
Drive
Legnum
yes thats exactly what it feels like and i checked all hoses and everything i disconnected most recently when checking the plug gap and i cant find anything out of place. soooo??? anything else that should be checked out??

are full alloy radiators the way to go i have just found a crack in the top tank , phew ( thank god it wasnt a slight wheep in the head gasket)

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
yes thats exactly what it feels like and i checked all hoses and everything i disconnected most recently when checking the plug gap and i cant find anything out of place. soooo??? anything else that should be checked out??

are full alloy radiators the way to go i have just found a crack in the top tank , phew ( thank god it wasnt a slight wheep in the head gasket)
Well if what Steve mentioned is what is happening then that is normal..
Yup alloy radiator is the way to go..available on ebay...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Alloy radiators are good, make sure it doesn't touch the radiator support when you're putting it in.

As for the boost cut, I'd say you have hooked up the lines to the wrong spots or you have a leak in the pipe somewhere, the end result s you're getting no pressure to the wastgates so they don't open.

You should have a hose with a red bit on one end from the high pressure pipe before the throttle body going to a tee piece. the other end of the tee should go to the wastegates and the branch end should go to the solenoid. The other end of the solenoid should go to pipework prior to the turbo intake. If there are any leaks it will be no good.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Have you got a pod filter fitted? Hot air + more boost = "boost cut"

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Have you got a pod filter fitted? Hot air + more boost = "boost cut"

cold air = boost cut, the limit is based on mass flow, cold air is more dense therefore more mass.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
cold air = boost cut, the limit is based on mass flow, cold air is more dense therefore more mass.

I just thought about that, and you are correct, it's cold air (Duh!)..... POD + AFM + More boost = boost cut

kiz91

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rj
Drive
Legnum
Can the 2 hoses which connect to the intake before the plenum cause any restriction/over boost if mixed up ( one-way valve)?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Nup, hooked up like I said? If it is, you should probably check the solenoid (air should not be getting through it). Also check the wastegates are getting pressure, ie no leaks in the hoses.to them....

Alternately before you go too crazy, put a gauge on it and see how much boost you're running. Should be less than 12psi

kiz91

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rj
Drive
Legnum
I think I hit boost cut again today 4th gear, 4000 rpm. Can the hoses be mixed up on the factory solenoid? There's not many places I can get the car to those speeds( legally)
HELP!!!
Feels like it's gonna blow up

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Have you done what Steve has been saying? I would have charged for that much time replying lol.

kiz91

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rj
Drive
Legnum
Yes I have checked all the hoses are connected, but as I asked, can the two hoses on the boost solenoid cause this boost cut if round the wrong way, I'm just trying to prevent any further damage from occurring by eliminating the whole trial and error regime

Top Bottom